Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 ford coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by newredporch, Jan 9, 2019.

1. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

E9F6E727-2670-4E40-AAB0-D0B054F6FD48.jpeg Went to work on the passenger side today. Things should be starting to tighten up.

Attached Files:

2. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

3. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

Really nice looking build you have there. The v12 is a nice touch. I am considering 331 hemi I have here. All depends on my level of interest when it comes time. keep up the nice work.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks like a good challenge. I will be watching.

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

So far this makes at least three of us in the game. Looks like I am in good company. Starting to look like 2019 is a 1940 year. Congrats to both of you.

6. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

The body shop was not very busy today so I had some time to weld on the coupe. Another patch closer to driving

Attached Files:

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Did you make the patch or cut out a repo floor piece?

8. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

I made the piece. Many times, as I weld on the floor,I wish I would have picked up a set of pans but I kinda like doing things myself.

9. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

Working my way around to the back. Notice the repair to the inner fender from when someone hacked a hole for the fuel neck. Poor channel job!

Attached Files:

10. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I have made them and bought Dennis Carpenter repos and in past used ones from Paul Bradley. Bang for the buck - the one piece front portions from Dennis Carpenter at $375 or so bucks are really nice, and fit well. The Paul Bradley ones - nice but still had a lot of fitting - fabrication and welding. Love your 1940 project - post many pics. 26912_100125406693990_1302991_n[1].jpg

Kage, Kan Kustom, 32SEDAN and 6 others like this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something kinda special about a '39/'40 Ford coupe. They caught my eye even as a little kid.
    Enjoy it, newredporch.
    The rest of you '40 guys too.

Thor1, lothiandon1940 and newredporch like this.
  12. Who's tail pan is that? Looking at the fit of both fenders it looks like the pan get's narrower to the bottom being the drive side fender fits to the body correct and has contact with pan at the top seam yet gap get's wide to the bottom. The drive side fender is tight to the pan but pulls away from quarter as it is mounted. I also thought the Tail Pan was more Flat side to side that what yours looks to be. Is that just camera angle?

13. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

It’s a EMS tail pan. I purchased it year ago. Their stuff fits good but never what I would call great. The fenders are hanging but not bolted up in that picture. I had them clamped up and it looks like its going to be ok. The fenders are rusted and wrecked. I am looking for some nice fenders if anyone has a set, let me know.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice progress-can't beat a 40. Some parts are getting a little tough to find. Searched for several months for a few parts on the one I'm finishing up. Friend does a lot of 40's too-he has been using the Upac ones-says they fit great. I know of a full set of NOS fenders but a bit pricey just to stick in the attic. Did find two NOS 40 std grills a while back-using one in current coupe. Also have an extra complete set of inside moldings so we had a set woodgrained-turned out nice.

LOU WELLS, i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Glad to know that Tail Pan isn't a Bob Drake part. I agreed to look one over after fellow buys it before agreeing to do the install for him. I have been involved in many EMS parts over the years. It's good to have new metal to start with but most panels seem to be just that. You need to do your homework before ya just start welding em in.
    olscrounger; do you know anything about the Drake tail pan?

ems customer service likes this.
  16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Have used Drake rear pans in several cars--fit was good-fit well under trunk lip contour as well. Never used EMS Current 40 being finished up has Drake pan. Fits well. FYI--looked for 40 front std bumper irons for many months-same as pickup-no luck. 39 dlx outer irons are same-inners different-having a set made right now. Gotta finish the blk std then a bunch of work on a 39 woody. Be 76 in 2 weeks so maybe no more. Will see.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  17. ^^^^^ Good to hear. That's the report I was looking for.

18. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess its time to take the Buckeye Barn Find coupe off the for sale list. I haven't heard from the guy that was interested, and after seeing this I need to put it back on the "to do" list. I keep telling the wife its going to be a faster and easier build because I'm going back to my high school car, which was basically stock with a later flathead.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  19. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

I used the Dennis carpenter rocker/ subrails. The price was 500 bucks for the set. Yes, they are pretty proud of them but they are nice and fit good

Crusty Chevy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

Build the car. Post some pictures. It’s fun

21. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

you guys are inspiring me to get started! I got lucky from a friend, and have one hell of a body to start with! plus a load of nos stuff!!!!:cool: PICT0016.JPG

PONTNAK123, Kage, Kan Kustom and 11 others like this.
  23. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

Wow that looks nice. I wish I had friends like yours lol

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Only rust is tail pan, and I got one from kan kustom, it’s been sitting since 1957

25. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

that's a great story. keep me updated. ask your friend if he has some rear fenders for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

I am planning to fix this area this weekend. I think I will start building the tool box after that.

Attached Files:

27. alchemy

alchemy

Wait! Upac is making 40 parts now? What are they making?

28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rear fenders-Also as said I know of a full set of NOS front and rears but too pricy just to stash. The United Pacific fenders are even on Amazon-just saw them

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  29. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

I am entertaining the thought of buying a two door sedan and stripping parts and selling it with my fenders at a discount. Am I nuts?