Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Identify Lincoln brakes ... please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kidcampbell71, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Picked these up recently, for my pile. Pretty sure I know what they are .... but what say you ??

Some of the old threads here, on the HAMB, have now "vacated" pictures, with our multiple updates thru the years .... and since I haven't joined the AACA yet to piss the restorers off ... I can't see what I want to.

I've bumped some Lincoln threads .... but I get crickets. 1940 Ford rear banjo axle will likely be its end destination, with me, anyway.

Lincoln brakes for the rear. What years ? Cool parts pick up, or not cool ??

20190130_134137.jpg
    20190130_134232.jpg 20190130_134253.jpg 20190130_134310.jpg

After confirmation, I'll likely be looking for 1939-41 Lincoln fronts, and the ribbed drums ... or maybe 45 fin Buicks instead.

2. With the deep offset thy could be 39 or 40 Lincoln.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. KKrod

KKrod

Good score. Look like Lincoln brakes to me! Look to be in great condition. Good find!! I don't know how to tell the year. I think 1939 to 1948 were all the same. The rears like these work on the front or rear. I have the same ones on the rear of my car. I have Wilson Welding brakes on the front. They stop great.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Those are 41 Lincoln brakes with the shallow offset. There is a part number stamped on them but I can't pull it up from your photos. It is in the recessed area in the middle.

5. Hey Lynn !!

Thanks for the reply. So I can't find part #s anywhere on these things. I have a doctored photo, that I placed colored dots in the recessed area on the plate back. X marks the spot hopefully.

Blue, the lower area. Green, the two side areas ... the ears, so to speak. Purple, inside the inner flange. Red in the wheel cylinder area. Do you mind looking at the picture for me ?? Geez' hope we aren't color blind. Didn't think about that !!

Wherever you point me to, will likely see some chemical help this weekend, to reveal said part numbers.

Appreciate it !!

Jamie Campbell 20190131_125518.jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied actually. Was worried nobody used these things anymore. The notifications on my own thread weren't on. User error likely ?? :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

All rear Lincoln backing plates from 1939 to 1948 were all the same. They all have the shallow offset. 1941 front Lincoln front backing plates have the shallow offset that is exactly the same offset as the 1939 to 1948 Lincoln backing plates. The shallow offset Lincoln front backing plates were only produced one year - 1941. Your rear backing plates are 1939 to 1948 Lincoln unless you can pull up a number from the stamping to further identify them.

7. Awesome. Thank you QuickchangeV8 !!

8. Sooooo' just bought fronts maybe. One anyway. It was a lot less than one of these rears, by far ... which were cheap, in their own right.

Shoes are the same, most of the visual clues match, even though the pictures suck ... but are these 1939 1940 FRONT LINCOLN BRAKE ASSEMBLIES ???

AND .... since the grease plate is missing ... are they the same as 1940 ish Ford juice brake grease plates ?? Anyone ??

Don't have my hands on them yet. Just pictures, and hoping they're 12".

Screenshot_20190131-221622_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20190131-221558_eBay.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  9. Andy

Andy

That one is a deep Lincoln 12" plate. I have a pair of those on the shelf. You will need a spacer that centers on the backing plate and has a step to center on the spindle. They are about 5/8" too deep. I have a start on my spacers made from 3/4" plate. You can center punch holes, drill, and bolt it all up. Nobody will ever see the spacers or care.

10. Hey Andy .... can you then use 32 - '34 spindles with these ?? I realize some of the aftermarket stuff requires grinding of the spindle ... I just don't like new expensive ... compared to old soul genny'. Would these also be the same modifications, as the grind to fit Wilson or MTC stuff ?

Guess I'll have to better visualize the spacer conversation once they are paired up with spindles. Think I follow you, but hard to see on this HAMB dixie cup string phone. Pictures needed. Lol.

Do you know anyone that has used these ? Would they have pictures ?

In closing .... are these worth messing with, or finding the other side ? Or should I throw "soul" and wallet out the window, and just buy the Wilson Welding or MTC fronts ?

Lots of questions. APOLOGIES !!!

11. alchemy

alchemy

Since using any later hydraulic brakes on 32-35 spindles would require a small collar anyway due to the large hole's diameter difference, building that collar into the spacer should be easy. And do the mounting hole modification like you would on any regular Ford hydraulic backing plate.

12. Andy

Andy

You need to use the round back spindles with these. The 32-4 spindles have the bearing on top and will interfere with the wheel cylinder. The 42-8 ones have too tall a king pin. I would much prefer these to the aftermarket ones. The aftermarket stampings are not as crisp and the wheel cylinders sit a little high. These will require a little spindle grinding as well.
    The spacer is just a thick donut with a step on one side to fit the backing plate and an inside diameter on the other end to center on the spindle.

13. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Take a straight edge and put it on top of the backing plate on the side that has the recess. Now measure the distance of the recess. If the recess is 1 1/4 inches deep then the front backing plates are from a later 1946 to 1948 Lincoln. The 1939 and 1940 Lincoln front backing plates have a deeper recess again. I have a pair somewhere in my stockpile of Lincoln brake stuff, but I didn't want to completely take everything out of the cabinets just to find them and then have to put everything back. The 1941 Lincoln front backing plates that everyone wants, have a 5/8 inch recess and the recess is exactly the same as all 1939 to 1948 Lincoln rear backing plates. Listen to the advice Andy has given you and you should be just fine.

14. KKrod

KKrod

[​IMG]

Lincoln front backing plates. I got this photo from another thread.

15. When using the adapter spacer to adapt the 46 to 48 Lincoln front backing plates to the Ford spindles your wheel tread will be moved out the thickness of the spacer.
    When I did this I didn't like the look and removed the spacers and ground the top of the spindle to make it work.

16. Okay boys. Thank you so much for your help, on this thread. The pictures, and explanations helped a lot.

If anyone has anymore Lincoln brake information, please feel free to post as needed. Thread continuation has always helped me here.

My next update, I'm going to Flowery Branch, Texas, to buy Wilson Welding '41 stylized Lincoln front plates, loaded with 2" brakes, new wheel cylinders, and accompanying parts.

Buying his front hubs, that he machines for adaption to 45 fin Buick aluminum drums, too.

I'm going to bring my '39 to '48 Lincoln rears, for show and tell .... since Bob Wilson is in my backyard. Maybe I'll get lucky, and he'll let me take pictures of cool stuff. Who knows ?

Great guy on the phone. On a Saturday even. Just like everyone said.

I'll keep looking for Lincoln original parts, but I can't pass up, what assuredly is ... the next, best, unrusted thing. Me likes chrome !!! Stay tuned.

17. Found a picture of the deeper plate spacer I saved from an earlier post. The spacer only relocates the backing plate and does not change the tread width as someone mentioned earlier. Wonder if the top of the kingpin gets into a conflict?

Think there is a drawing with the dimensions on an old post, maybe someone saved it and can add it to this thread.
    lincoln adapter.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  18. Haven't updated this thread, yet. I'm lagging.

A few months back, I spoke to Bob Wilson on a Wednesday, and picked up his 39-41 Lincoln styled brakes, loaded with 2" shoes, on a Monday.

Set up for '32 spindles, and you have the option to order for either the 2" shoes, or 1 1/2" shoes. Your choice. He offers the other spindle style too.

Pretty happy with his work, more so ... very happy with his diligence. Very customer friendly.

Made in the USA.

Wilson offers a HAMB discount, so I also picked up a set of his nodular iron front hubs. Hubs can have 3 different bolt patterns ... 5 on 5, 5 on 4 3/4, or 5 on 4 1/2. Mine are ready for Buick finned drums.

Bearing and seal #s are Timken numbers. You'll need these for bare hubs. So take note :

Timken part #'s
    seal - 8695s
    small race - 09196
    small bearing - 09074
    big race - 15118
    big bearing - 15250

I paid $200 for the hubs, and $320 for the brake shoe loaded, Lincoln style brake assemblies. Can't beat it.

I do have some old NORS Lincoln brake hardware kits that have the older wheel cylinder bolts, and pins ... to better the period look.

ALSO : still buying original Lincoln brakes, preferably clean, non pitted items. Why ? CHROME !!!

I don't know Bob Wilson personally, but he's a great guy to me. Thank you to Karl Knecht @KKrod for helping me make up my mind, and confirm what many here on the HAMB already know. Wilson Welding and Machine ... rules !!! Thanks Bob !

P.S. He has a great A roadster, that's been seen attributed to him .... but also a sweet '32 roadster that waits near finished, in the wings.

20190622_144109.jpg 20190622_144119.jpg 20190622_143934.jpg 20190622_143950.jpg 20190622_144549.jpg 20190622_144612.jpg

HAMB Alliance member >>>

http://www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com/

Bob Wilson
    214-662-9483 call him, or email.

[email protected]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  19. Andy

Andy

Bob is among the best people ever.