Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mexican Blankets for Seat Covers...I know...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55pack, Jan 30, 2019.

1. 55pack

55pack

Hey guys I’m a newbie. I know this is a question that has probably been posted about 100 times. But here it is anyway, I Have a 55’ Packard Panama using this as a father/ son and grandson project. We want to use Mexican Blankets as seat cover.

Whats the best way to install them? I don’t just want to lay them down and definitely don’t have the talent needed to sew them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here’s the car and the material!

Thanks again [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

idk how youre going to use them without laying them down or sewing them... rear seat is easier i suppose, you can renove the seat and tie it behind and reinstall, no idea on the front

55pack likes this.
  3. 55pack

55pack

I can remove the front seat (4 bolts) and tie them or any glue them on the underside? Again I’m just not sure.

4. That car deserves more Respect than that.

HSF, Rich S., Flathead Dave and 6 others like this.

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

glue wont hold up, gotta remember you butt is bouncing up and down on every bump, you slide in and out, it has to be really well secured, i would google local seamstresses, there are some that are reasonably priced, if you do your own measurements theyll stitch em up cheap

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/47-coupe-build.1133545/

55pack likes this.
  6. The other answer would be, Got to a Fabric store and buy some Elastic and have Grandma sew it in proper places to get it to anchor to the seat springs and make slips for the Front seat seat backs.

Just Gary and Fordor Ron like this.
  7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

8. 55pack

55pack

I have a lot of respect for my Packards.... this car was purchased as a project that we could do all the fun stuff with its is full of terrible body work and zero interior. We have two other that are very well taken care of including full restorations.

[​IMG][​IMG]

55 Clipper
    55 Patrican
    55 Panama
    (Packard)

9. Look at how new seat covers are held in place

Those cheapy nylon/polyester bungee cords
    And Velcro

Don’t glue, staple or sew on the original fabric . Just in case you change your mind.

It should hold them in place pretty good and if you ever change your mind or need to clean them....... “ cough, cough, back seat..... teenager...... girls..... cough,cough” easy to remove and burn.... I mean wash !o_O

6868EA33-AEF2-4704-BA70-0D898AF83EDA.jpeg DE11BE91-B2ED-4C73-A150-C8A9B014FE61.jpeg

rusty valley likes this.
  10. Btw, great looking cars !!:cool:

55pack likes this.
  11. 55pack

55pack

Haha, thank you for the suggestions. The front and back seats are trashed. All the original fabric is ripped and covered in oil/grease.

Have you ever used hog rings?

55 Clipper
    55 Patrican
    55 Panama
    (Packard)

12. Latigo

Latigo

Welcome! Looks like a fun project with the kids. VANDENPLAS has the plan. Look at some other seat covers. Think I'd stitch on some velcro with a speedy stitcher and you're good to go.

55pack likes this.
  13. Hog rings will tear through the fabric when the material is stretched. Grab some canvas strap, and sew it to a few places on the edge of the blankey, thread around and over the seat, and tie up underneath it. Then get a length of plastic tube, (like 1/4" or 3/8"), which is the width of the seat, thread through some stout cord, then use it to keep the top and bottom sections from pulling out by tucking it inbetween where the base and seat meet (behind your arse).
    Tie this cord around the back and under the seat.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How about lay the blanket on the front seat so it hangs over the back a few inches and fasten with safety pins, tuck it into the crack between the seat and back and stick a few short pieces of 1" diameter plastic pipe, or dowels in to hold them and pin the bottoms in place.

For the back you could do the same or for a neater job remove the cushions, wrap them and put them back in with the ends of the blankets neatly tucked under.

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

No!

HSF likes this.
  16. Where are you located ? Not that you asked, but there are a set of seats listed on that auction site for an incredibly long time, that would look great in there, on a best offer situation. Also, one NOS front driver's Packard cover in a tasty red combination, of course you'd have to find the others ....

Yeah so ..... I've got nothing on Mexican blanket stuff, but good luck, in whatever ticks your bell.

55pack likes this.
  17. rusty valley

rusty valley

i like the blanket, but cant you still buy cowboy type seat covers made of the same material but already have sewn corners and sewn on straps to attach them in place? like most every pickup i've ever owned?

1953naegle and 55pack like this.
  18. 55pack

55pack

Located in Indiana...

55 Clipper
    55 Patrican
    55 Panama
    (Packard)

19. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

55pack likes this.
  20. LBCD

LBCD

yep! Same as my 72 Ford Camper Special

21. 55pack

55pack

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

A buddy's wife sewed material into sort of a rectangle bag with a flap... [flap lays on the base]
    she sewed the corners to make both top and base fit my narrowed 6" baby ranger bench seat...
    she sewed in some paracord to tie it off to the back and the under side of the base...
    to install, I lowered it down over the top, tied down the back, and the seat base section to the seat framework …
    thanks weezie !

55pack likes this.
  23. I’ve used hog rings in the past replacing seat covers at jag when I worked there

They are easy to use if you have the correct hog ring pliers ( just a plier with a groove the hog ring fits in so it squishes round)

I don’t remember if the area that got the rings was reinforced or not.

Cheap enough to buy I see kits at princess auto ( like a Canadian version of harbour freight)
    $15 bucks for something like 1500 hog rings and a plier.
    Worth a shot !

5D7AE844-FA74-424B-B098-AA5DBE3D767E.jpeg

John Lee Williamson and 55pack like this.
  24. Take the seats out of the car and do the blankets like they were upholstery material, cut them or pull them for the best fit and then use upholstery hog rings to keep them in place.

This is the only shot I have that you can see some of the Tijuana blankets in my olds sedan, I recently removed them after many years and am in the process of installing a real interior. HRP

[​IMG]

Blues4U and 55pack like this.
  25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had blankets in my Caddy. They were folded over the corners neatly with huge safety pins holding then together and the hard back trim covers installed on the back of the seats.

55pack and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I like the blanket to be removable, you never know when you're gonna need it. That's the only reason I had one in my A pickup, and we did use it a few times. With no heater, hell, no windows, it can get mighty cold in there.

55pack and flatheadpete like this.
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

No and no,not one of the things I think is good too do. It's like buying fake Tiger skin slipover covers from Western Auto,but they don't have flea.

28. glamb

glamb

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I did the same thing as HRP in my 61 Brookwood but put vinyl around the bottom and on the back. Drivers side of the front seat started showing wear after a few years. Good luck

29. 55pack

55pack

What’s the best place to purchase blankets that have good quality???

55 Clipper
    55 Patrican
    55 Panama
    (Packard)

30. In Mexico, they just call them blankets...

King ford, RDR, HSF and 1 other person like this.