Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wishbone 3-link information please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grumpy65, Jan 27, 2018.

1. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Kerrynzl!...in regards to the dynamics of the " woblink " why does the instant center or in this case lack of an instant center of the two parallel horizontal rods not effect the roll center height ( as do the bellcrank to chassis links of a Jacobs ladders intersection does) ...could a lower roll center be achieved by making the two horizontal rods point downwards somewhat and intersect at say ground level?

2. How about these from Ken Stewart, Canadian Street Rodding Hall of Famer. REAR SUSP-KEN STEWART.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Andy

Andy

How about this.? It balances the rear end wrap up torque against the frame rotation. It balances the loads on the rear wheels for equal traction and also keeps the frame level with any applied engine torque. It also has anti squatt and anti dive.
    All the rear end wrap up is taken by the one torque arm on the right side. It is hard to see.
    I have used the basic idea for over 50 years and it works perfectly. I quit using posi's then.
    The rear panhard bar was not installed when the pic was taken. It was long and mounted low.
    P1020505.JPG

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    CrazyDaddy likes this.
  4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

@ Gimpyshotrods @ Kerrynzl , @ ELpolacko, @ exwestracer...I have a question for you guys. I am fairly well versed in chassis dynamics and geometry but I believe you guys are ahead of me! In kerrynzl's illustration of the " wob link the two horizontal rods are parallel and thus create no " instant center " where a line drawn through the center of each rod intersect. It is my understanding that most A arm front suspension for example if a line were drawn through the outer ball joint and A arm bushings of both the top and bottom control arms the lines would intersect below the surface that the tires sit on thus creating an " instant center " and ergo the theoretical roll center below ground level. Therefore I was wondering if the two currently parallel rods of the " wob link" were run downward and somewhat together and attached to the chassis and the vertical link were fastened to the axle would the instant center being at the point where the rods planes intersect create a lower roll center....( apologies for the run on sentence!..any input from you true guru's will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. grumpy65

grumpy65

@gimpyshotrods, @Kerrynzl, @ELpolacko, @exwestracer.

Hi King ford.
    I have taken the space out between @ and the names. Hope this works to get the guys you are after.
    Good question by the way. Interested to hear about this too.:)
    Steve.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Grumpy 65!..thanks for that!...this chassis dynamics stuff fascinates me, I have a pretty sound knowledge of it but the instant center/ roll center issue I'm unsure of....

7. grumpy65

grumpy65

Me too. Hope the guys get back with info.