Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pinstripe or Not to Pinstripe is the Question !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Jan 29, 2019.

?
  1. yes

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I have seen a few 35 & 36 Ford Coupes with the stock contrasting pinstripes (stockers ) . Some of you Kustom guys what are your thoughts.. I am shooting for a 40's mild Kustom look.. Which I think I'm on the right track.. You guys can be the judge... some of the books I have show the cars void of any pinstripe in that area.. Not going to chop this car ever ( No Marshall ! lol).. Let see what ya think ! gg3620183.jpg

Ranchero59 likes this.
  2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Personally, I pinstripe everything I drive, drag, cruise, my stocker...everything. But this is your car. Do what your eyes tell you to do.
    Nice car.

whiteknuckle likes this.
  3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Pinstriping that is done tastefully and blend in really enhances most cars. Many cars have gone overboard on the striping in my opinion. Just my opinion though. Definitely do as you desire, your car! And as stated above, nice car.

warhorseracing and 36-3window like this.
  4. I don't think you see many early 40's style customs with pinstriping, more of a 50's thing.

Mick

GuyW, LBCD, da34guy and 2 others like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put what Henry did...

warhorseracing, flatford39 and Uribe like this.
  6. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

So do what you want always its your car. But if you are going for that period I would agree with Mick.

7. Nope, not me

rob-redm likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to agree 100% with what WB69 said. Tasteful striping that shows off the details adds to the whole vehicle.
    On the other hand if you see the striping before you see the car it can be distracting. It's either a car with striping that enhances it or the car is the background for the artwork.
    I'm a member of the 30 foot rule on pinstriping. Outside of the detail striping on belt lines I don't want to see a pinstripe from 30 ft away from the rig.
    Back in 1982 when I painted my 48 and got it ready to take to the Chevy GMC Truckin nationals in Ogden I used cheater tape that was about three shades off the base color and from a few feet out you didn't see the pinstripes even though there were a lot of them. That won't work with black but sneaky is better than gaudy.

9. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

40s style custom...No

missysdad1, rob-redm and Frankie47 like this.
  10. Thank you Mick, From looking at my books , so very true to what you said, the 40's Kustom are void of pinstripes.. .. I really appreciate all the comments ..

11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I finished my deuce roadster in 1995 and still can't make up my mind if I want to pinstripe it.

12. Not for a 40's custom.

13. When I striped my AVATAR the whole car looked better. I would go for it but don't get carried away. Maybe put a few stripes on to check out how you like it. Maybe photoshop?

Charlie Stephens

14. As a jackleg striper, I want to stripe anything that will sit still long enough.

As a car guy, I have to agree with most of the comments above. Either stock-ish coachlines (long, bodyline stripes) or nothing would be my vote. NO dagger or scroll stripes WHATSOEVER!!!

But that's me...and it's your car! And a nice one, I may say!

15. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Single burgundy line on hood just above grill, so it falls centered on the beltline on the door, down quarters, around body line on back then to the other side...nothing more...my.. .02. Dark burgundy so it's there, but not there.

16. No striping on 40's custom.

lurker mick likes this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, stock-type in dark red/burgundy to echo the interior.
    Subtle. Understated. Classy.
    Very nice coupe.

18. thank you

19. oj

oj

Personally, I'd stripe it. But find the guy that can pull the very fine line, not fatter accent line a sign painter would do. There is a difference and and finding one that does the fine lines is tough. Find some lines by 'Tuki', he did a set of headlights like yours that will take your breath away.
    Gotta be careful, pinstriping is like tats, can't have just one.

brett4christ likes this.
  20. will take look at some licks , by "Tuki"... leaning more against not doing it.. the more I study my book and looks at pictures carefully...

21. missysdad1

missysdad1

Nope. To stripe your car would be mixing eras in a not so good way. Remember, striping was a middle-Barris-era thing with Von Dutch, Dean Jeffries getting the whole pin striping thing going as a popular trend. Any car themed prior to that will look odd with any kind of striping IMHO.

K13 likes this.
  22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Get some very fine line tape and experiment to see how it might look.
    There's a difference between accent stripes and pin stripes.

Less is more if done right.

Sky Six and oj like this.
  23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

pinstripe like the factory might have
    on the wheels only
    then put the wheel covers back on

pecker head likes this.
  24. I have a set of nice original black 16" 40 Ford wheels that are OG Black with white pinstripe that still look really good . I was going to run wide whites on those for a change of pace then 40 stock caps and rings... hmm

25. Your car ....

Pinstripes have been around since buggy and carriage days. Stagecoaches are an easy to research item. Also, a great many turn of the century cars were accent striped. Customs ? Only the baddest factory custom of all .... pinstripes in the interior material ... and splashed upon its flanks. Duesenberg. A fun research item.

Anyhoo' .... my opinion is no stripes ... but who cares ? Not my car.

Edit : .... hell .... stripe that son'of'a' b#tch. You'll pick something nice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  26. still looking at a lot of pictures in my books & online images...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. 396/425

396/425

I wouldn’t let a striper near that car. It’s bad ass looking as it is. But it’s your car...if it’s bugging you to not have it striped, go for it.

28. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

If you don’t like the all black look consider a subtle belt line stripe, less is more.

29. not bugging me, just thinking what it would look like...

30. been thinking a very thin belt line stripe...

i.rant likes this.