Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP WITH INSTALLING THE WINDSHIELDS ON MY 50 CHEVY.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AJ Mominey, Jan 28, 2019.

1. AJ Mominey

AJ Mominey

HEY GUYS, JUST LOOKING FOR SOME HELP ON INSTALLING THE NEW WINDSHIELDS AND RUBBER GASKET. I WATCHED A FEW U-TUBE VIDEOS, SHOWING HOW TO INSTALL WINDSHIELDS IN A 1950 CHEVY TRUCKS.

MY QUESTION IS, I HAVE TRIED TO PUT THEM IN AS ONE UNIT. BUT IT WAS REALLY HARD TO GET IT CLOSE TO THE TO THE PINCH WELD. SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY ONE SIDE AT A TIME. WHICH WENT REALLY WELL WITH THE STRING METHOD. BUT TRYING TO GET THE SECOND ONE IN IS REALLY HARD, I HAVE ABOUT A 1/2 GAP LIKE I HAD WITH TRYING TO PUT THE TWO INTO GATHER AT THE SAME TIME. SO MAY NEXT ATTEMPT I'M GOING TO TRY SOME SOAPY WATER AND THE STRING METHOD. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY IDEAS, OR SIGHTS I CAN CHECK OUT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

I did the split windshields in my slightly O/T '67 Dodge van by myself using Dawn dishwashing soap and heavy cord. I think I did both sides at the same time (this was well over 25 years ago) by setting the bottom edge securely in the pinch weld and making sure the glass was dead bottomed out in the gasket. Make some witness marks on the glass with a grease pencil so you can see if the glass shifts while you're wrestling with it. It's not rocket surgery; you can do it.

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you log onto the Van Pelt sales web site, there is an article with illustrations on how to install windshields.

4. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Just had new glass put in on my Avatar 48 P/U. I had it done by a glass guy in my shop. I was the assistant. The MOST IMPORTANT tool was the suction cup gripper. The 8" round gizmo that you lay on the glass, pump the air out with a lever and it GRIPS. Now you have a solid grip on the glass--- a LOT more solid than trying to hold/move it with one hand on each side of the glass. It really makes big difference if you have a helper. It seems darn near impossible to do it alone. Bill

lothiandon1940 and harpo1313 like this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This--wife and I have installed lots of windshields and rear windows in 40 Fords. It's a two person job. Use the suction gripper as mentioned-bought one at Ace Hardware. Lots of dawn soap and the string.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. When I installed my windshields (by myself) not only did I use two Dual suction cup device on the inside of the windows I set 2 anchors in the floor and used my ratchet straps to put a couple of thousand lb inward Force while I was hammering around the edges with a shaped wooden piece of shim material.

Full story here: https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/DAMN-Windshield-gasketSS-trim/

7. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I did my '48 after watching this video:

8. AJ Mominey

AJ Mominey

THANKS GUYS, YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND WELL TAKEN. JUST SO YOU KNOW I WASN'T LOOKING FOR THE TITLE OF ROCKET SCIENTIST. I'M JUST A RAD ROD NUT, AND I'M JUST TRYING TO HAVE FUN. SO THANKS AGAIN AND I'LL LET Y'ALL KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT. AFTER THIS COLD SPELL IN OHIO.

9. When I did them in my '50 car they went into the center post first and then installed the rest.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. rudestude

rudestude

11. milo1303s

milo1303s

Please turn the caps lock off !! lol

safetythird likes this.
  12. 62rebel

62rebel

Oh; I wasn't aware that the GM body had the divider built into the body. Just never had to work on one. Larnt me sumpin today.

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Definitely takes a couple people and lots of dish soap

14. AJ Mominey

AJ Mominey

rudestude likes this.
  15. AJ Mominey

AJ Mominey

THANK YOU AGAIN GUYS. YOUR COMMENTS WILL ALL BE TAKEN, AND APPLIED TO THIS PROJECT.

16. rudestude

rudestude

That's cool....glad it helped....this is the manual that I took the pictures from. It is for the hardtop body only...from the firewall back...lots of info from removing and resetting the glass and trim, fitting the doors , headliner and trim etc....if you need info on anything else that could be covered in this let me know .... IMG_20190130_165405~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app