Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Stromberg Big 97 Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmeister, Apr 14, 2016.

1. I will bump this along as well..............great thread and another vote to archive it

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious if the OP got this sorted out? I would like to have a set of these for my 390 Caddy build. Just researching.

3. oj

oj

I worked on them ages ago, lets say we minimized the problem to where its livable, not perfect but compared to other typical hotrod problems it was a minor thing. I don't consider the problem to just that set of carbs as much as a design issue with the 97, the needle & seat sit sideways (even the ball bearing setup is still sideways) and the proven design is to have needle & seat work up & down so gravity works for you not against you.
    I saw him a couple months ago and they were building a bucket Tee, they have 3-4 hotrods and I don't think the one with the 97's gets driven much.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hmmmm......wonder if it is a drivability issue? Or just lack of time etc...

5. oj

oj

No, I don't think its a driveability thing - not due to carburetion anyway. I think they enjoy the building more than anything else.

Roothawg likes this.
  6. stromberg-97

stromberg-97
    from England

Hi Roothawg. We have many many BIG97 Tri-power 3x2 sets running without issue for customers. Bob Bleed at Midwest Fabrications is one of them. And I spoke to a number of others this weekend at the Grand National Roadster Show. Very few run return lines for the fuel. Whenever we see issues it is usually to do with the way the carbs are set up. If you follow the instructions, you will be good to go. You can email me direct at any time. [email protected].