Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest C9

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Jan 28, 2019.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen posts referring to C9 before but never knew much about him. I just found reference to C9's stories about the Red Roadster. Did he ever have them published? I've checked a couple of websites and no one seems to have heard of a book by C9. I see his last activity was in 2010. Can anyone tell me anything about him? Who is, or was he? Sounds like someone I would have liked to know.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Jay Carnine was a great guy and an excellent author. he wrote two books that i'm aware of, "California Hotrodder"
    and a novel that was not hot rod oriented.
    Not sure if either is still available.

Mick

kidcampbell71, Steve Ray and pitman like this.
  3. Jay passed away in November 2009. HRP

He also wrote the book Pinky, I have it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Well, I'll be damned.....C-9 and I use to PM back and forth but I never knew he was an author. Mick is right,,,a really nice guy for sure. Loved his 430 Buick engines.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. pitman

pitman

Even the one punched to 476" if I recall correctly.
    Great teller of tales, helped out many of us.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. He wrote many short stories. They used to be linked to the writers group. Most were about being young with cars and the elusive girl. Jay was a wonderful person from my side of the fence. he was gracious and kind with info as well as being somewhat magical as a story teller. It was a sad day for many when he passed away.

7. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Jay and I met in High School in Ventura, CA. 1956 -1958. When I started following the HAMB I thought, " I must know this guy" and sure enough we renewed our friendship. He remembered a lot more than I did but is was fun reminiscing. I have his books (he told me I was in them) and I enjoyed them and his stories here also. Some die way too early.

Jan Harmonson
    Ojai, Ca.

warbird1, clem, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all who replied and I'm s
    orry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. Now I'll have to try to find both books and see what I have missed. Jan, I'm glad you got a chance to meet up with him again.

Alan Purvis

9. Early on, in amongst the youthful stuff that was typically posted, C9 would chime in, and bring a world of experience and maturity that made even the most spirited take a moment to think.

Over time, I had a few conversations with him, and admired his willingness to go above and beyond, and 'invest' in people and things he was passionate about, the HAMB was one such thing.

He also loved the craft of writing, and certainly shared plenty of great reading for all who were willing.
    There are a lot of great threads with his stories, well worth exploring via the search function.

To get you started, check out these couple, and the number of sub links within.....that will keep your busy

Monday Night Tales from the Dez - Doofus and Whiny

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/monday-night-tales-from-the-dez-doofus-and-whiny-part-11.36348/#post-482301

Then, if you can do these two….and their links in each thread, you'll be doing well….

The red roadster

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-red-roadster-part-1-reprised.147111/#post-1635119

then here…

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-red-roadster-part-2-reprised.147110/#post-4552029

Jay was a great mentor to members of the HAMB, and despite the time since his passing, am encouraged by his take on things, and legacy paid forward.

Cheers,

Drewfus

Tim, Steve Ray, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  10. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i do a lot of lurking and reading. a little while back i read a thread about 90º timing, it was one of c9's post.

11. Cheeta

Cheeta

12. brianf31

brianf31

I enjoyed his writing. Doofus and Whiny was excellent!

13. C9 was a great guy, he knew a lot about aluminum slots, we were having a conversation about some slots and he had sent his last reply back within an hour of his passing. I'll never forget reading of his passing and thinking man we were literally messaging back and forth within minutes of a time we both never expected to arrive that fateful night.

14. C9 is missed around here. He was a good story teller, but also had a great deal of valuable tech knowledge. It was sad when he retired and moved form CA central valley to Kingman AZ and was only able to enjoy his new location for a relatively short time.

lurker mick and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Cheeta

Cheeta

For those of you who knew c9, I am looking for information on the 40 that is on the cover of his book "Pinky". I own the car now and would like to gather any information anyone would have about this car. Thanks Cheeta.

16. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Always ready to help with tech questions ...He had a special way of explaining things ....
    He is truly missed ...RIP my friend ......