Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Company sent wrong throwout bearing for my 1959 Rambler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Jan 29, 2019.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

Now that my transmission is rebuilt, I slid under the car to insert the throwout bearing on to the fork. Surprise ! The fork and bearing do not match. The diameter of the bearing is too wide. I contacted the company and am waiting for their response. It has been over 60 days since I purchased it and really do not know if the ordering dept. has any idea if it is the correct part or not. Can the surface be turned down to fit the shift fork? 003.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. slim tempo

slim tempo

Seeing that the channel that the shift fork rides in, can I grind down two flats to fit the size of the fork? 003.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Is there a number on the face of the original bearing ?? There should be. Clean it up, and look for it, to cross reference for the correct bearing.

slim tempo likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

The actual bearing is pressed onto the hub part with the grooves. If you got lucky, the new bearing might be the right inner bore diameter to be used on your old hub.

Measure them both, or if you don't have accurate tools to measure, and if it seems to be correct, we can measure it here, and try to do the swap if both bearings are exactly the same. I should be here all day.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Alternatively, if there is enough material thickness there, it could be turned down, although swapping the bearing would be simpler if possible.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Is there enough meat on there to do that?

Then send them an invoice for $90 an hour + "shop supplies".

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Best option right here.

9. nickleone

nickleone

On my 62 196 we had a problem with the throw out bearing HUB being wrong. Pressed the NEW bearing off the hub and put it on the OLD hub. Bearing was correct but hub was not.

Nick

slim tempo likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I can do lathe work if that option is needed..

slim tempo likes this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Thanks Seb, for the offer...we fixed it with a swap..but:

I pressed the old one apart first, and it was 1.500" ID on the "back" side of the old bearing bore. Then I did not press the new one apart yet, before measuring a small exposed area of the bore on the "front" of the new bearing. It was around 1.545"?? So I thought it over, but decided to press the new one apart anyways.

Learn something new every day...the machined bore in the new bearing was stepped, and the back side really was 1.500" like we needed.

I do have a lathe, so I guess that's why I pressed the new one apart, even thinking it was wrong ID.

Johnny Gee, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

BTW, I forgot to say that I think it was a manufacturing/blueprint error. The only thing not correct was the groove depth for the fork. It was obviously an offshore part, no ID numbers, no "made in-----" logo. Maybe someday they could make parts here again...that we all know would actually fit. ;):cool:

13. slim tempo

slim tempo

Stopped by at Frank's garage and he solved the problem. Transmission is in. I'm taking Frank out to lunch at the Chinese Buffet tomorrow.

14. slim tempo

slim tempo

On Wednesday I will attempt to re-connect the torque tube to the transmission.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Chinese Buffet?? Drive here to SoCal and I'll take both of you to In-n-Out.

slim tempo, theHIGHLANDER and F&J like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Great you got it fixed! Also great to have friends like Frank close by!

17. slim tempo

slim tempo

Torque tube re-connected, new rear shocks, new gear oil, ran it through the gears while on the jack stands, A-OK. Now to put it back on 4 wheels and road test.

F&J likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Viva la-HAMB!

I love shit like this, but a Chinese restaurant? Irony imitating life? You'll both have to eat for an hour...;)

19. slim tempo

slim tempo

Transmission and torque tube installation a success. New rear shocks. 001.JPG As soon as the roads are dry, off I go in the Havana Taxi.

Greenblade, s55mercury66 and F&J like this.
  20. Frank to the rescue again. If Frank likes Chinese food it is a win win.

slim tempo likes this.