Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The hopeful beginning of it all (starting a speed equipment brand and land speed racing)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead 37, Dec 5, 2018.

1. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

loudbang likes this.
  2. Just saw this thread and want to wish you good luck. Running at Bonneville has been my goal for twenty years and I finally got to do it this year, now I'm hooked.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  3. flathead 37

flathead 37

Great job! Must feel great!

rbrewer, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. flathead 37

flathead 37

Well, i've been working on a hand full of different things. The carbs are selling well, and i've been working on adding more to my inventory. I have designed a few t-shirts which i'm glad to say if have sold a number of. These are just a few of the designs now available at https://nystromperformance.com/collections/apparel
    download.png mockup-4f4ba497_720x.jpg
    I have also been learning a new cad/cam software called Auto Desk Fusion 360 which I am liking quite a lot. Previously I have worked with Mastercam, which is great, but very expensive. I've been practicing with the software so I can generate 3D models, which I can then print on my 3D printer, and use those prints as patterns to cast in aluminium with (you guessed it) MY NEW FOUNDRY!
    KIMG0937.JPG Capture.JPG
    Yep, I bought a foundry. So that is a big step to start making my own parts. All the pieces are slowly coming together, and I plan on having my first few casts done this January. If you have any suggestions of what you think i should cast, please comment below. I can also finalize the castings at work with cnc mills and lathes on the weekends. Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That is great news!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Love seeing young guys getting into the trades...seems like most kids don't have any interest in it at all...the speed thing is an adrenaline rush for sure...the addiction is pretty bad too...good luck with your dreams...you can do it...please keep us in the loop.

MikeC

7. flathead 37

flathead 37

Should have some pretty exciting progress in the next week! Here's a sneak peek.
    Capture.JPG Capture.JPG 2.JPG

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I wish you the best of luck to go along with your skills and ambitions. I look forward to seeing your new creations.

rbrewer, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. spanners

spanners

I agree. Designs on t-shirts should be on the back. After I've dribbled my coffee and/or my egg and bacon roll with barbeque sauce down the front, it's hard to see the design.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

As far as the T-shirt design placement, offer front or back. Since I'm almost always wearing a shirt or light coat, (in Minn - either too damn cold, or anti-sunburn) the design can show thru. & on the rear-placement versions, I sweat my ass - - uhn, no, make that my back, off. Not fun. I've gotta *really* want that rear-placement shirt bad, 'cause I don't like them - they're not comfortable. FWIW.
    Marcus...

rbrewer and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. SMLBound

SMLBound

This is very good advice...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rbrewer, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  12. I was going to suggest using your machining talent to make patterns for casting in alloy. Vintage car guys don't like the look of billet parts.(At least I don't) I think you are on the right track. Make sure when making parts you break off all sharp edges for a softer look. It's so much more appealing visually. Carry on!

13. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

Good for you! Keep your dream alive and never give up! Good luck with you business, just remember, cash flow is King!

14. flathead 37

flathead 37

Definitely going to be primarily doing secondary machine ops on parts that i cast (drilling holes, facing, ect), not pure billet. I agree in the fact that billet doesnt look trad.

rbrewer, Boneyard51, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  15. Don't forget your silent partner (IRS).
    Learn business. The hardest lesson is going from an employee to employer.
    Good luck

16. flathead 37

flathead 37

Just completed my first prototype print of what i would like to cast first. A finned carb scoop of my design. Next i am going to print the actual pattern itself. 20190127_141348.jpg 20190127_141413.jpg 20190127_141423.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Make sure you have a provision in the cast for a filter at the base.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and flathead 37 like this.
  18. Breathers. Aluminum valve cover breathers. Anyone say that yet ?? ( without tipping over 3 pages of thread to check )

The elbow style. With the removable cap to change out the breather filter. Like old Eelco and Moon, even Mickey Thompson made.

Also .... dashes. Auburn style .... hopefully alot more detailed than the trash dash plate So Cal tries to pass off, as Auburn-esque. Bleh' !! Too .... dare I say .... Chinese looking.

Anyhoo' .... good luck. Looking forward to your imaginations.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  19. bonlesshotdog25

bonlesshotdog25

Odd question for ya do u think u could make a set of 65 comet tail light lenses

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. flathead 37

flathead 37

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

actually, cnc's are very cheap unless you need the newest state of the art machine. last year my friend past away and his fully functional cnc brought 18.00 at the auction. i have also been watching auctions lately for a non computer driver friend who wants a bridgeport, and the old bridgeports will bring 3-4k, and the cnc's bring 500 to 2000. reason is first, they are too big for the hobby garage, and none of us old bastards know how to run them. auction last week sold a running surface grinder about the size of a bridgeport, high bid? ONE DOLLAR! its sad, this stuff goes on the truck and straight to the scrap yard. good luck with your new venture

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  22. AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

Good luck on your venture. As you start to do foundry work, you will see how that experience will effect future designs. This will be very useful! If you get tired of the cold and want to move to Phoenix, we've got an opportunity for a good mastercam programmer/operator in the automotive industry.

23. Nice work, oh step one to being a pro racer, "Marry a Lady Doctor" who likes it.

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It is good to see a 'younger' person with the desire of Land Speed.
    Bonneville is a life, and we love it.
    I have yet to drive our roadster there, someone blew the motor the last time.
    And last years salt was the best in 10 years and our car was home.
    See you out there!

25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Once you are your own boss you will never look at the world the same.

26. flathead 37

flathead 37

Everything I am making and plan on making in the future will likely be revolving around flathead v8s and bangers, so it is a vintage speed equipment thread of sorts. I am using modern to technology to make these, but nothing will appear billet or modern. Thanks :)

27. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

loudbang likes this.
  28. flathead 37

flathead 37

I recently released my first parts! More to come soon!

A 1939-1941 pedal assembly has been the part of choice when making the switch from mechanical to hydraulic braking systems in pre-1939 cars for there ease of mount-ability on these earlier chassis.This adapter allows you to run a dual master cylinder for added safety on both 1939-1941 Ford car and light truck pedal assemblies as well as 1946-1952 Ford pick-up pedal assemblies using the stock push rod and boot. This adapter is made in the USA . I am a machinist by trade and make these with billet 6061 aluminium with the upmost precision. Perfect for your AV8 conversion. Comes with necessary hardware. This adapter is designed to use a 67-72 Ford Mustang master cylinder. Raybestos pn MC-36222 (MASTER CYLINDER AND PEDALS NOT INCLUDED)

These parts are available at: https://nystromperformance.com/coll...nd-light-truck-1946-1952-pick-up-adapter-only 20191005_185957.jpg

The 39 guy, neverdun, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  29. Parts look nice, keep on adding parts and growing the business.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, nice looking pieces you have there, I hope you do well.