Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '46-48 Buick Frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

im scrapping out a '47 Buick sedan and was wondering how different the frame of a sedan is from a convertible. I thought maybe I should keep the and clean it up if it isn't too different. I would then have a frame ready to go versus removing the convertible body, storing it, cleaning up the convertible frame, and then re-uniting. If there is a major difference off it goes to Asia...

2. I could be wrong but I believe the sedan frame is boxed. I've boxed a sedan frame to use under a convertible. Worked well.

3. BJR

BJR

Are they the same series?

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yes, 56 S and C.
    I'll have to take another look at the convertible, in storage right now. I don't want to do a lot to the sedan frame if the convertible is OK. But I'm torn about tossing a very good frame to the eye suckers were made compable to som of the WW II truck frames. I need to win the lottery and buy a farm!

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It has been 'rumored' and/or 'speculated' that convertibles may have a slightly heavier gauge metal in the chassis rails and/or the reinforcement straps on the X member. Also, there is a possibility of and additional mount or two. I believe a Buick Factory Shop Manual will contain frame diagrams with measurements and relevant differences and would be where I suggest you look for authoritative answers.

The question about Series is a good one as there differences in wheelbase between Super (124") and Roadmaster (129").....but you probably know that already.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thank you very much for that. I heard a little of that rumour as well but need definitive answers. I'm checking over at the AACA but they must have a waaay earlier bedtime. I'm thinking of keeping the seat frames/springs case of repairs or cut downs. The convert was missing its seat back and I think perhaps the bottom as well. In addition I was thinking of saving the vent window mechanisms as well as the front and rear window mechanisms, rear end, front suspension bits, and the dashboard as you never know if/when you'll need parts. The one major area of rust onthe convert is above the left rear wheel house and the sedan has a perfect patch waiting to be cut out. I wish someone close could use this stuff as I HATE seeing good stuff being turn to scrap.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  7. john walker

john walker

Title numbers match the frame....

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good point and it would be wise to take that into consideration. If the OP has adequate documentation for both vehicle’s, I would think the chassis can be treated like a ‘spare part’ and the relevant title corrections/changes can be done in a legally acceptable manner. But now is the time to determine how that can be accomplished.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will have to look underneath my 48 convertible but I believe the X member is either of thicker material or double stacked pieces of the original material. The rest is the same. It is unboxed. I'm pretty sure.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I checked this morning. The frame is not boxed and is the same as my 49, material is about 1/8". The X member, however is much beefier. It is 1/4", maybe 5/16" thick. It still has quite a bit cowl shake, however and you don't open the doors when it is on the lift.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah, late last night I thought about the serial number issue so this plan may be a no starter. I believe my vert frame is ok but I will check in the next little while. Good quality steel may be going back to molten state...