Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Rizhto

Rizhto

Speaking of pistons, I found a Chevy four pistons available from Hungarian piston website. I do not understand the language and I do not have any knowledge about the quality of these. However, I do have a friend who lives in Budabest, so it is theoretically possible to try to find something out.

http://www.dugattyubolt.hu/reszletek.php?taz=DU-684&klikk=11

According to Google trans, the oversizes are also available.

bct likes this.
  2. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Propper nice is that crank!
    How did that engine work out for you?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Hi Andy, It's all pretty good. The original crank in the photo I posted here came out of the motor I bought from you. The block turned to have been bored +1/16'' already which meant I needed to find a set of 261 Chevy pistons in an oversize; the ones I already had were/are std 261 size @ 3 3/4" bore. How is your project coming along, was the 'other' 4 banger motor OK once you'd got it stripped down?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Oh sorry for causing you to spend more money..!
    The other motor turned out ok, it was just tight with solidified oil so that was nice
    I’m plugging away, slowed up as I’m trying to build a new garage
    If those std 261 pistons are now spare I could use them..??

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Kume

Kume

I also have a set of standard 261 pistons for sale if anyone is interested.

6. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Are you down south Kume? Like way down?...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Kume

Kume

Yep am in New Zealand - but wouldn't be as expensive to send to Brexit Island than other way around. pm me if you are interested.

8. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Hi guys & galls First I want to give a Very Large THANK YOU for starting this string AND for keeping it going!! I had given up about learning more and/or conversing with like minded people in 2000. (went to working on old red tractors) For some reason (you will not believe this) but I dreamt about the chevy 4 banger, and in my dream I was suggested to try looking again so here I am. It has taken over a week to read the 71 pages (and digest) Very good info! First I must say that I am in no way an expert, bur got my first 26 chevy in 1965 or 66 and have been looking for info (and parts) until 2000. Hopefully I can add a little to this info and/or confirm some info already noted.
    Thanks Boyd

Bigcheese327, tractorguy and Six Ball like this.
  9. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

six ball, is your friend Mel a retired machinest from Cal., hard of hearing, was trying to put latter gears into the early gearbox about 18 years ago? I recognize that T speedster, I think...…
    Boyd

10. bct

bct

Welcome

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is a fair description. He has a good handle on making old 4 cylinders run. He called me today and is looking for a Carter YH side draft. Any of those laying around anywhere? They are pretty pricey on eBay. He has two and needs a third for a 292 he is building. He is making a head from two aluminum V-8 heads.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Jet96 and tractorguy like this.
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I still have my 28 with Olds head reground race cam, drilled for pressure oil, Poured and board at Egge, Jhans pistons. A rods, Spare stock engine and trans. Needs home with someone who has more energy. $1200. DSCN0159.JPG

Outback, Lil'Alb, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  13. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Thanks for the welcome bct ! 6 ball, if we are talking about the same Mel, the only time that I got to talk to him was in a noisy bankquit room in 2004 (looked it up) after the 200 mile run. I am also hard of hearing, so only got bits and pieces, but he was very disappointed on the 25 block to go into the racer. After all his work, the block cracked when assembling. glad to see that he rebounded! Rich That is a very good price for your engine, but not sure if my truck could make it to San Mateo and back!

I am going to make a comment for the people just starting out on their journey with the c4. Glean all you can from the old info, from all us old farts (also the people that really know something), but be courteous about it. I had some young guy contact me years ago about the c4. He wanted everything I had on info, but kept saying: I don't have time for that, I cannot do that, I want to run it now! I found myself starting to get closed mouth! (not right for me) The c4 is not a pick it up at the supermarket engine. It takes many many hours climbing engine piles, Finding some part that you think may work if modified to use in place of the old hot rod part that is non obtainable anymore. Then doing it again for the next part. Be objective to what you really want to do with this engine. If a "a daily driver" DO NOT put it together as a racer. More power/ less longevity. You may end up with more than one engine, you will definatlly end up with more than one engine worth of parts!

Jet96, Bigcheese327 and tractorguy like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mel definitely has the T working. He de-tuned it to drive it on the street easier. He was pulled over for going 90+ on his way home from a local show. He is almost ready to fire the Chevy. Basically just needs to clean the fuel tank. I've asked him to call me for the startup.
    Rich, lets see if you still have that when I can put some money together. I had it before I bought a 50th anniversary present and went to the Hot August Nights swap meet. :D

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have not been trying to sell it. Kind of like it hanging around. But I have sole just about everything else and it needs a good home.

16. Kume

Kume

That's a bargain !

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I agree. So buy it. I shipped my roadster and engine to NZ. Vega and Lark + parts to Aus. I can connect you with shippers.

18. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I have gone back and am rereading the thread. Finding out that I missed a lot the first time through!!! I just read page 53 and 54. I want to comment before I forget. 6ball I like your little chart, and your pic. of your Durant rods look just like mine, just went into the office in the shop (also known as the black hole) anyway I happened to spy a Durant rod so whipped out my measuring tape. I came up with 8 1/8". I know that my 'micronic tape" is not too accurate, but should be within 1/32". I am in no way saying that your chart is wrong, but trying to reinforce your comment about getting good measurements on each part. A couple of mine are bent, so do not know what quality of material in them.

There were comments about deck highth being 12 1/2", I,ve got at least one block that is not over 12 3/8". So here again, be careful and measure everything on your own parts.

There are comments about 1 &2 and 3 & 4 being very close for head gasket survival. Years ago I talked to a guy that raced his chevy banger at muroc, said that most of them used solid copper head gaskets and punch pricked the bottom of the head to hold the gasket in place. (yuck) He also said that these engines came alive around 11:1 but he figured less than 200 miles between rebuilds..... About 20 years ago I read in HAMB something about the F guys using a fire wire between the close cylinders. Has this worked out?

I also remember a post about the crank being 3/8" off center of the bores, I had found that also. The chevy specs. that someone added confurms that. (tword the cam) The question was asked if this was common with other four bangers, I have not found where this was answered. Were the T's, A's, Dodge, Plymouth, others offset?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    bct and Six Ball like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'll check those numbers. That was quite a while ago and I may have just used published numbers. It is always important to get good measurements of the parts you end up using.

20. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Herb commented on the Hercules engine for pistons. This reminded me of an article that I saw many years ago bout cranks that were used in the c4. Hercules, Leroy, and one more that I cannot remember...… The article said that the racers "Had varying success" I tracked the Herc down to being one of two engines used on the John Deere 45 self propelled combine. Found a restored combine, but never cought up to the owner. The Leroy I was luckier, (do not know what they were used in) Someone scraped three of them and I got the cranks. I got one of them machined to go into the c4. As soon as things slow down (when the snow flies) I will have to dig out one of the stock ones and the modified one for pics. Also go through my notes to see if I got the model. Off hand, I am thinking that the A or B would take less work to fit, If you can find one for a decent price.

Bigcheese327, Six Ball and Jet96 like this.
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Nobody else write about the 28 engine I wanted to sell. It's sold. Thank you anyway. RF

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Bigcheese327, Jet96 and mkebaird like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good! One less thing to stress over. All my extra money went to help my friend's family get his belongings back to Michigan. He died at Bonneville last Monday. Just a spectator.

23. David Luttrull

David Luttrull

I am selling a complete 28 Chevy engine, line bored about 2000 miles ago. It lost a rod, crank checks out ok... I have several other single port heads and one dual port as well, many misc parts.....several transmissions, and one complete rear end from a 26 touring.... my Avatar. I am also selling the very nice steering wheel from the 26, Im in central Indiana. I have a thread in the "items for sale" area. IMG_20190818_202847146 (1).jpg

Six Ball likes this.
  24. Blackbob

Blackbob

it has taken me a while to read this thread through, I started about 10 days ago, taking notes as i went. Thanks to all for sharing such a mine of information! I have been rebuilding a retired 26 T pig n ford racer for the past 18 months (i bought it 12 years ago). I was considering finding and using a 2 port Chevy head with an adapter plate on the T block but would rather go the Gerber route now and fit a Chevy motor to the T trans. The plan is to build a vintage trials/hillclimb car that would get occasional road use. I am on the hunt for a suitable motor to rebuild for the project. Meanwhile i am plodding on with a mildly tuned T motor and 2 speed Ruxstell axle sorting out the suspension, brakes and steering as I go :)
    66296981_2602530066458275_5259259691006951424_n.jpg 66324506_2602533946457887_2057856893237329920_n.jpg 66324506_2602533946457887_2057856893237329920_n.jpg

282doorUK, Six Ball, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  25. Kume

Kume

For the Australasians amoung us - I have successfully fitted a Holden HQ clutch & pressure plate to my considerably lightened chev four flywheel. There must be a US equivalent - Holden being GM.

Six Ball likes this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are there pictures? How did you cut down the flywheel?

27. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

this is completely off topic,but since you guys have all kinds of weird old engines i thought you may know of a Waukesha ICK parts stash.
    Its a tiny 4 cylinder L head engine,built in the 40's through the 60's maybe.
    18 HP i think and the head is 12'' long.

28. Kume

Kume

I have the gearbox snugged on at mo but will take some pics soon. I had flywheel skirt machined off to clutch surface, counter sunk the crank bolts and bobs your uncle.
    Picked up some period SU's recently and had a manifold made up to fit to my 3 port olds head 20190914_101927.jpg - its looking quite threatening.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Lil'Alb, Jet96, Bigcheese327 and 6 others like this.
  29. @Kume I will be interested in seeing the photos of the flywheel and clutch

30. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

X2