Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

2019 America's Most Beautiful Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

63fdsnr, exterminator, brad2v and 7 others like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool car. I was really rooting for Corey and Ashley Taulbert's black deuce. But it looks like a great car went away with it.

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

Agree. I was pulling for Tweetie all the way. Not because the others were substandard but because like Ryan my heart was captured by the little yellow roadster so many, many years ago...

D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know how the little guys compete with what is obviously a big dollar effort but I appreciate those who try?

grantrobert likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think my favorite cars every year are those that aren't there to compete... but are simply there as a side effect to a build. Tweety, for example, was built to scratch a historical itch, not to win a trophy.

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then it hit the target Ryan!

upspirate and catdad49 like this.
  7. Here’s Thom Taylor’s interview with Eric Peratt (Pinkee’s Rod Shop) discussing Poteet’s "Three Penny Roadster":

video from The Rodder's Journal (@TRJ) Facebook page
    (i.e., you may need a Facebook login to view it)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Surf City, Pete L., 13clicks and 2 others like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Big Time, Gordon!

loudbang and GordonC like this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Figured it was between the '36 & Moal's entry. Unbelievable craftsmanship on both (& others). Tweety was a sentimental old school favorite, nice to see it entered. Was kinda rooting for the full-fendered blue number Georgia. Learned an old buddy I grew up with had a hand in it.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

For what its worth.. and that means nothing....Cory and Ashley's roadster was the Boss.... Built well,driven everywhere and lives in a 2 car garage.
    The insane award should go to Coby... I mean.. wow....... No Patina or a weak 4 banger.....

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A truly masterfully designed and executed car.
    Personally, I wish the door hinges were not chromed. They detract from the "flow:

loudbang and 40FORDPU like this.
  12. uncle buck

uncle buck

They were all nice cars and when you think about it , Cory and Ashley's car already has more miles racked up being enjoyed than all of the rest will ever be driven combined! That alone makes it my winner.

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That little yellow roadster is just kick ass. It looks like it was ripped right off a little book cover.

The winner is an outstanding and deserving build that really did streamline all the '36 roadster styling quirks. But man, I will just never warm up to the dreary gray, green, and brown colors used on these top notch builds. It's such an emperor-has-no-clothes thing.

14. I agree
    Love that color!

15. For the most part, the fleet of AMBR contenders was so great, I didn't really care who won. There were only a couple that I didn't like, which is a welcome change from a few years ago. Even the 22 Buick was pretty trick. But Tweety was definitely the sentimental favorite.

I've got an old built yellow Big Deuce model from 1963 that needs repair, the yellow of the plastic just screams for a Tweety clone.

loudbang, HunterYJ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The darker more subdued colors are used to make the car appear smaller and more
    compact despite the wheelbase being lengthened. Plus, it adds to the overall
    mystic by not being an "in your face, look at me" color.

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

My friends and i were discussing this sat morning at breakfast. We agree "if ya cant see it at 30 mph, you have wasted some money". The really cool cars will stop you in your tracks at 30 mph, ever see a car enter into a car show and NO ONE takes a second look? Thats what we mean...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

19Fordy, now that you point out the chromed hinges I have to agree with you. I think hidden hinges would really work in this case. Also remove the two post mounted mirrors, it's not like this car will see any freeway time. Beautiful car though.

19. Read the blog and all I got to say is that it is a pro built car from a well known shop. Those cars generally win big shows.

I don't see anything wrong with the car as cars go. I will probably never build one that smooth but that doesn't mean that I cannot applaud the workmanship of it. Nice looking car from where I sit.

20. Graystoke

Graystoke

I'm a fan of Mr. Poteet's taste in hot rods, but I think he left the reservation this time. I'm not complaining, just disagreeing.......Tweety was my favorite.

21. I beg to differ ... ALL of Poteet’s cars get driven ... just last year, his (Roadster Shop built) ‘56 Chevy Gasser was on the 3,000 mile “Goodguy’s 2018 Hall Of Fame Road Tour”

After its appearances on the indoor car show circuit, I’m sure George will drive the snot out of his AMBR winning roadster.

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

As I said earlier, "as long as the winner doesn't have a '32 rad shell". I'm happy.

oldpl8s likes this.
  23. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

That 33 roadster that Kurt Pedraci at Hot Rod Machine in El Sobrante built is equal to if not better than any of these winer$$ for a one man shop he is spot on. Like Roy Brisio said " his work and detail are right up there with all of us !!
    I agree

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. 32Stoker

32Stoker

It seems simplistic to boil down the entire universe of hot rods/customs into one award. I think GNRS could benefit from expansion/stronger promotion of more sub-categories (like Oscars, Golden Globes, ESPY’s, and countless other award shows have done), for example:

AMBR Built by a Professional Shop (Poteet 36/Pinkee)
    AMBR Built by an Individual in a Home Garage (John Doe with less than $50K)
    AMBR Originally Built Before 1965 (Duke’s/Tweety)
    AMBR Driven 10,000+ Miles
    AMBR Race Prepared
    AMBR Foreign Sports Car
    Etc.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. The GNRS has Plenty of awards:
    http://www.rodshows.com/entry-guidelines/gnrs-awards.html

26. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Yep, I’m saying expand the categories to include more vertical build types and up-level all of them to AMBR caliber/status...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Nobody is forced to enter the AMBR contest.... You are either entering because you want the notoriety of being a contestant, you think you have a legit chance, or you think this is the year for the underdog. It is what it is. I guarantee you a guy with enough time, money, and talent can still build an AMBR car in a 10x20 shack....

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The winner is a beautiful car with incredible design and workmanship, inside and out, top to bottom, but it somehow leaves me cold. I can appreciate all the work and craftsmanship and attention to detail, and still not really love the car very much. I'll be honest, I was there, I saw it in person, and I didn't spend more than a couple of minutes looking at it and I moved on. I found many other cars there that really attracted me and I spent far more time with, and took many, many photos of, but I don't think I took 1 pic of the winner. Not to mention that if pics of the car were posted in a thread here on the HAMB they'd probably get pulled down. But it's a big world with a lot of people and everyone has their own tastes, so congratulations to the winners, both the builders and the owner. I hope they enjoy the hell out of it.

29. big name shop VS home built. Built VS bought. Driven VS trailered
    how can you not appreciate all of them.
    Poteet paid some very talented car guys to build a car. COOL. He does that a lot and this hobby is the better for it
    All these cars were built by talented and passionate car people
    Where the funding comes from does not detract from either of these
    can they compete against each other.......
    absolutely
    can a guy in his home shop compete with the big shops? yes sir
    but be prepared to sacrifice. The guys in the big shops do.