Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GNRS Clarification and Moderation...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say it ain’t so. I’d hate to lose Mark over something like this. He is a great asset to this community and the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey Danny, I messaged Mark last night with some Questions about why the AMBR threads were being locked or deleted rapidly after the winner was anounced, when beforehand we were talking about the cars and even the thread on the Moal car was allowed. I was not rude or being a dick in any way, I'm guessing from the fallout I could not have been the only one to ask questions...Mark please reconsider. Ryan If you feel the need to ban me please do so. I am not into street rods., , billet, or corrugated radiator hoses, But I think discussing some of the styling cues that went into these cars was worth talking about. I messaged Mark this morning asking him not to quit.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Again, this is on me... not any user that I know of. You good.

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i am sorry if mark quit on my account, i felt that me asking a question about why posts were getting deleted wasnt out of line and he deleted my question rather than just respond to it. my only point i was trying to make to him was that even though the gnrs winner had billet wheels, he shouldnt have been so quick to be anti gnrs. several of the competitors WERE traditional hot rods including tweety which is the definition of traditional. i just wanted him to see that a lot of us were rooting for traditional cars to win and thats why it was such a hot topic. i do have some unpleasant personal life crap going on and if i am the reason he stepped down i sincerely apologize. i could have probably conveyed my point without being sarcastic.

slv63 likes this.
  5. I don't think you are to blame at one time or another we have all questioned the decision to delete, that doesn't constitute being disrespectful or rude.

You did nothing wrong and my post wasn't aimed at you, Ryan said no member was to blame so that is all that needs to be said.

I also sent Mark a PM asking him to reconsider. HRP

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thanks Danny I feel like shit...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Graystoke

Graystoke

Don't feel that way. Have fun ! Remember.... Some people feel like it...... Some people look like it..... and some AMBR winners are the color of it.;)

lumpy 63 likes this.
  8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I missed whatever it was that went down but for what it's worth, Mark should stay and whomever it was who was enough of a dickhead to cause him to step down should be axed.
    This place needs more Marks and less dickheads.

9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i just spoke with him, he said it wasnt anyone in particular. he said there were about 10 people saying the same thing to him last night. i also apologized and asked him to return

Old-Soul likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Mark and the Mods do a fine job. I don't always agree with them, but it would be really poor if I did. The GNRS is a tough call. On the one hand, far from traditional. On the other hand, probably 98% of the HAMB cars are not 100% strictly traditional either. On the third hand, hell, they'ree modified cars with wheels and motors, so I'm interested.

Maybe, in the future, the HAMB could direct members to websites where the cars could be viewed instead of battling over them here?

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Mine was one of the first threads about the GNRS to get frozen. Don't understand why? There was nothing offensive about what was being posted.

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

...I personally was completely blown away at the hair splitting and deletions over this years winner... The AMBR award holds a VERY SPECIAL place in my heart...it doesn't get much more traditional than that award for hot rod roadsters. This years field had a bunch of cars that are continuing the infiltration of traditional styled hot rods in the AMBR contest. The car that won in my opinion at first glance is no "street rod" to my eye....I dig its style and it hinted at some traditional cues. I'm glad Ryan blogged it....it made my day this morning....and lowered my blood pressure. As Ryan pointed out, we are usually allowed to discuss the winners of major awards here...the idea we weren't had me spinning.

13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark, don't let the chuckleheads get you down. You've been a key member of the leadership team here and the HAMB has always been better for all of your input, including your moderation.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  14. Graystoke

Graystoke

We are about to enter into Dead Horse Territory, but for the record, I do not favor creating exemptions to the standards.

15. If the moderators are doing their job they are going to be questionable threads deleted, like it or not.

I've been a member of the Hamb for a very long time and have been the recipient of many deleted threads, most were pushing the envelope others were questionable but I abide by the rulings and move on, there is no reason to make their job any more difficult than it has to be. HRP

16. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Mark, I can only hope that you will reconsider your decision. Always thought you were very fair and very helpful.

Put it all aside and come back. It would be the members loss for you not to.

upspirate and bowie like this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear Mark stepped down. Always enjoyed his input.

upspirate likes this.
  18. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

This may seem irrelevant, but in my wanderings through the cesspit that is the internet, I recently ran across a new turn of phrase that made me snicker. It was the term "anthropological f*ck"...that is, when a person decides to bump n' grind for reasons of curiosity and historical context rather than attraction. Rocket scientists. Rock stars. Athletes. Authors....you know, in the name of science.

I think during GNRS, the photos of bling n' billet satisfy the curiosity of many forum members and provide some context; they illustrate the web of trends that traditional cars are suspended within.
    It's a forbidden dalliance but maybe important...just for a moment...for science.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I appreciate everyones kind words. I am not quitting the Hamb, I am just not going to be a mod anymore

dwollam, das858, SR100 and 23 others like this.
  20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

7ACD899F-D8FB-41DD-9607-D67B72D252DD.jpeg
    I thought it got shut because of my picture wearing the Old Farts Club shirt

49ratfink, slv63 and Special Ed like this.
  21. The winning car is nice, not my style but it did win. HRP

jimgoetz and WiredSpider like this.
  22. ken bogren

ken bogren

That is really good news !

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

OK …..
    I'm going to jump in here to clarify some things so everyone understands the circumstances that took place.
    For Mark , Ryan and everyone else......
    Basically there was a communication break down or lack of.
    Unfortunate that happens from time to time.
    Mark was Moderating as he always has on keeping things with in our "Traditional Hot Rod and Customs " foundation.
    Mark was not aware that the yearly GNRS seems to get somewhat of a pass on here as there is a wide range of cars that get featured - then disappears for another year.
    I didn't catch what was going on until last night reading things and caught the posts where Mark was Moderating, saw things were going sideways with guys wondering what's going on. For that - Sorry Mark for not catching that sooner and having your back to help guide you on that.

Ryan was tied up over the weekend so may have missed coming back and commenting on the GNRS with out catching the other posts that Mark was Moderating.
    In turn, it made things awkward from a Moderation stand point and not the easiest when we have a passion on what we do.

Unfortunately things happened the way they did.
    Stuff happened fellas.

Ryan has covered / clarified some things as I needed to as well.
    Ryan has always covered Moderators back and stands up when things are/ were a miss.

For you guys that reached out ( Convo) to Mark about it at the time some posts were deleted, now you know why things took place as they did.

Mark is not going away - that I assure you.
    "Hot Rod and Custom Cars" ( Especially Customs ) is in his blood.
    Mark will always be a friend.
    Whether Mark decides to Moderate or not - please respect his decision.

Lets have some fun fellas enjoying the "Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Cars"

Respectfully,

Cob

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's good news right there.

25. I have 45 students
    its hard enough trying to keep that amount focused
    how the folks manage a site this large must be extremely frustrating
    a good rule of thumb for folks that get upset is to remember how much you are paying for it, also this may be why a volunteer decided to take a time out as well

Im glad folks can attend these events and post pictures, we enjoy them at school
    and also glad I dont have to sift through S10 frame swaps and the latest in rebar spiderwebs here too

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Mark,
    you have joined an elite club, with members like Fred, Alex and now you,
    from mortal to moderator to mortal all with grace and logic.
    I feel you have graduated to something greater and wiser.
    Hope you always share your world your wisdom and your vision with us.

27. F&J

F&J

looks like the y2k guys knocked out another hardcore traditionalist willing to take a stand. Some of us get so tired (and angry) when the guys that actually stand up for the old ways get called "Trad police" or worse. I'm really pissed right now.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We love you Mark, you are a HAMB treasure! Whatever you decide to do, it will be tasteful and professional. Thanks to Ryan and all the Mods for the hard work of running such a great site.

Blues4U and upspirate like this.
  29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Not tryin to stoke the fire but I don’t recall when the hamb became so iron fisted with content, the focus has always been traditional, but I remember lots of airbags , jag suspension upgrades, s-10 chassis swaps, that were done well..
    not my thing really but some of it was interesting to watch , that’s when Clark , elpoloco and many others were posting projects a lot , now we got ten million what color should I paint my wheels threads and show me pics of orange hot rods

I don’t miss all the tattoo threads , band threads or car club drama threads but it feels a lot less creative here than it once was , I feel maybe the iron fist drove some of the talent away , just an observation and opinion .. nothing more

30. deucemac

deucemac

While I fully understand the significance of traditional thinking here, I also understand the significance of the GNRS itself. It truly is a Hot rodding tradition. Yes it has evolved over the years, but look in the mirror because so have we! Sometimes not how imtended. I feel that the GNRS deserves a by on this one. Anyone viewing the show can see the full gamut of automotive creativity on display there. The mere fact that the America's Most Beautiful Roadster award has survived the test of time is impressive in an of itself. Granted, it has veered off course from time to time, periodic course corrections help it continue. More traditional style cars compete than in previous years. Use the Model A building this year was absolutely spectacular in itself with many many traditional cars from the past on display. I spent hours there immersed in the beauty and nostalgia presented there. I feel there is no better venue to show this unique link to our past and our future than here on the HAMB. Poteet's car was not my favorite by far but it expressed outstanding craftsmanship that we all can appreciate. Give the show its due once a year and then back to where we live the rest of the year!

The37Kid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.