Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical small block chevrolet sonic test cylinder wall thickness minimums ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by leavinbehindabitaF7014, Jan 27, 2019.

1. It is a mid 60’s small block 327 chevrolet build. Plans are 350+hp. I realize cylinder wall thickness opinion is usually dependant with considerations taken on the use of the block and the hp its builder is planning on making with it. I have had several blocks sonic tested in the past. One of my current engines in the works has 1 particular cylinder that is
    .160 and on the major thrust side
    and .095 on the wrist pin side between the cylinders.
    These are the 2 thinnest (mt. and pin)areas on the block walls. Sonic test was done after finished overbore size was complete.
    The rest of the block cylinder walls
    are thicker everywhere.
    Ends (front and back) of block are pretty square at 4 corners from .160rear -.220front
    Any opinions on .095 wrist pin side and .160 major thrust side being too thin?
    Looking at the sonic test numbers and the cam
    and lifter areas there is not any major core shift present, just what seems to be somewhat common thinner areas between most of the cylinder walls.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

just for comparison I built a 319in Windsor in mid-90's with worst cases of .154 on a thrust and .084 on a pin. NA but 12.7 static compression, estimated mid-400 Hp...no issues. My other early Windsors all the about the same. No worries for cylinders, but Fords just split the block in half, since went to using Dart.
    It sounds like you have a handle on it, considering how much to put into it.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

350+ H.P. is a pretty open number ! That could go to.....?
    Blower, nitrous, final compression ratio, etc. ? Street, drag racing, Solo 1 or 2 racing, etc. ?

Mike