Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration <<<< Friday Art Show 1/25/19 >>>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Mister Dave

Mister Dave
    from Aurora, IL

[​IMG]
    Very well done. One thing that can help make it look more genuine is to add some original photo artifacts that blend it in. It's a very subtle change but you might be able to see it here.

upload_2019-1-25_16-59-55a.jpg

2. Mr. Dave, you got me ? I'm can' t find them?:confused: I laughed at the photo shop of the old school bus. I don't have the computer skills to do that. Here's a challenge if anyone would like to try it. Take my old (Junkyard bus sketch ) and Hot Rod it. Thanks for another great F.A.S. everyone!:) Ron......... 20190126_064741.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Hi Mister Dave.
    Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.
    When I first started altering the original I didn’t think it would take too long but it actually took quite a while. Then again, I was only planning on chopping the roof and dropping in the new motor but got carried away with the rear wheels and name!
    Good fun though!

I’ve been comparing the two photos above and I’m with Ron on this one, I can’t for the life of me see where you’ve altered it! ......I may need new glasses! Ha ha ha!

Cheers

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FUNKBus2.jpg

FUNKBus3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  5. ...I like hot rod buses...
    wood busses 001.jpg wood busses 002.jpg wood busses 003.jpg

6. Some great stuff this week. Here's something I'm currently playing with for fun. 20190125_160315.jpg

7. Hey rusty1, those buses are great.

I’ve always liked your drawing technique, mate.

( like your avatar too!)

Mr.B., BigO and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. 55Belairman

55Belairman

9. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Great work, fellow artists! '59 El Camino-finished.jpg

10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Thanks Bob.........great job as usual

12. smokin piecrust and 55 belairman,..thanks for the compliments,...my avatar is my first 55 Chev I owned in the mid 60's,..here's my current 55....look familiar?
    55 bel air 8-11 001.jpg 55 bel air 8-11 004.jpg

13. philo426

philo426

Fix the chips and you are in like Flynn!Nice 55!350 and turbohydro400?

Mr.B. likes this.

14. OK Ron....Lets burn some rubber!!!!!

hot rod.jpg

15. Mister Dave

Mister Dave
    from Aurora, IL

Thankfully someone beat me to it (phew!!). That's a lot more involved than photo retouching. Trying to recreate someone else's art style is a difficult task - probably the most difficult task I can think of.

It's no effort at all to tell someone that they did good work and you did, but you're welcome all the same.

Fun is always worth the effort involved. Otherwise it's just work.

I did say it was a subtle change. If your image editor allows you to zoom you'll more easily see it there. On here not as much, at least not to the untrained eye (and I'm not suggesting a guy with your obvious talent has an untrained eye just to be very clear). In your browser (especially if it's on a phone) you will have a harder time seeing the difference.

And fair warning - I optimized that photo for the web so there's some image quality loss from my original, but that loss should be across the entire image, not just on the engine.

If you're curious to know what I did I'm happy to explain. Your engine lacked the horizontal banding artifacts obvious on the rest of the photo. I grabbed (copied) the lower left section of the body where there was a clear section of artifacts, tiled it (meaning that I laid adjacent copies together and flipped them so the edges lined up), and then removed the darker parts of it. This leaves the whiter bands behind that can be laid over the engine to create artifacts that match the image. Then I made 3 layers of my tile and collapsed them together so my eyes could see it better while I erased everything that didn't have the engine behind it. Then I reduced the layer to 14% transparency to try to match the look of the rest of the image.

There were a few more fiddly Photoshop things I did like using the wind filter to smooth out and better connect the bands. A smear tool might have done the same, but that's even more fiddly.

I agree. Rustyl puts a lot of love and effort into his work.

P.S. I like your avatar too Smokin' Piecrust. The 55 is my favorite tri-five. My dad had one when I was a kid and I have fond memories of sitting in the back watching Elvis and Frankie & Annette movies at the drive-in that I barely understood. I think it may have been the popcorn.

P.S.S. I've figured out a way just now to easily see the difference in the two photos. I right-clicked each image and opened them in a new tab (this should work with any tabbed browser). Then as I click back and forth between the tabs with the full-size images the difference is very obvious.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr.B. likes this.
  17. ...posted these awhile back, but since we're on a bus kick...I call it 4 buses, 15 carbs.
    (ps, most of the stuff I post is for sale,bus board is about 34"long)
    woodart 2018 223.jpg woodart 2018 224.jpg woodart 2018 225.jpg woodart 2018 226.jpg woodart 2018 227.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  18. mkebaird

mkebaird

Here's one for you bus junkies ...

DaBus1.jpg
    DaBus2.jpg

19. Hey Mr Dave,
    Sorry, would replied earlier but had a busy day!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain how and what you did.
    It’s funny how something becomes obvious when it’s pointed out to you. The motor came from a black n’ white photo of an FED and was a bit pixely, so by the time I’d arsed about sorting that out, it never occurred to me to add in some banding! Ha ha!

Oh, and just in case....I’m always up for positive feedback....there’s always more to learn!
    (Which I’m finding out using Procreate on my iPad!).

It sounds like I’ll have to have a go on Photoshop sometime, as I haven’t used it yet.

My avatar is a photo a friend took of my ‘55 on the strip at Shakespeare County Raceway.
    Unfortunately, as of last year, they closed it down to build houses on it.....*#@*#*@!!

Mr.B. and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. Rusty1, your ‘55 is cool as.....!

Gotta love a ‘55. I’ve had mine now for 29 years....since I was 22.

21. mkebaird and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. ...my 55 has a hop'd up 350 4 speed,..we're the 3rd owner of it altho the first owner owned it twice...

50 customcoupe and Mr.B. like this.
  23. Mister Dave

Mister Dave
    from Aurora, IL

You're very welcome.

I'm glad you were able to see it. I hope the tab switching thing helped. TBH without it I had a hard time seeeing the difference too, and I know what I did!

The more photo retouching you do, the more tricks you'll learn on how to hide the details that make it an obvious retouch to the trained eye, and also in the realm of the automotive uncanny valley. Some might see it and say that the motor you put in there could not have existed in the era because they know. Others will just see the missing artifacts.

Well, you got one from the right perspective, and that's tough. You got the tones right, making it really easy for me to lay the artifacts over it.

When I'm passing through I'll be happy to help out if I can.

Don't bother with the full version. They've gone to a subscription model. I'm using an older paid version (CS4). I don't know if they sell Photoshop Elements anymore, but it's worth looking it up. What they do with Photoshop these days is getting a bit ridiculous.

Besides, there are some really good editors out there that you can get for next to nothing, and a free one or two worth having. I'd say the one you used is probably pretty good. It worked so far. Experiment with the tools you haven't used yet in that package. It may give you new ideas for next time.

Good luck to you!

24. Otto's-1.jpg I am breaking with format because I wasn’t around to ‘hop on the bus’ because I’ve been busy getting a daughter married...
    Therefore, like Rusty, I’m posting this one again... no photoshopping other than it’s a pencil sketch I painted digitally. The original drawing was a design I pitched for a scene from the third Simpsons episode I worked on, back in 1990. The episode is titled “Old Money”. This was my first show as a character animator. I had done backgrounds, only, on the first two episodes of my career.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  25. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for all the great creations! Had to ride the bus for a few years, but none were as Cool as these. Thanks, Carp.

50 customcoupe likes this.