Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Packard Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Ford's name for that color

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. Very quiet duals

3. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

When looking for parts I ran across this radiator with small damage to its exterior. How good is an old radiator with this small damage to its exterior? Screenshot_20180326-115936.png

4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I hear a re core is around 500/800$ with not that long of a warranty. Is this true in southern California.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You can lay that flat on its front side, fill it with water and attach a cutoff bicycle tube to it. Put 12-15 psi in it and check for leaks.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

pure genius! I wish I had thought of that when I had a half a truckload of old car heaters to sell on ebay. sold them all as untested.

7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thank you, I'll remember that one forever.

8. heater core.jpg

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^^^ I already have inner tubes and a bike pump.

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks for the visual, I was trying to pictre it and you took it a step further by your picture, thanks Bob. Did that Radiator pass the test?
    Ronnie

11. That was the heater core in my '59 Ford. I wanted to make sure it was ok before the dash and heater box went in. The core looked like new. It held 20 psi for 10 minutes. Good enough for me. The heat is great in the car. I drive it all winter.

Donuts & Peelouts and 49ratfink like this.
  12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hey guys, I need some help trying to move the old girl. Its time to move the car to my house. The wheels have always been locked since I bought it. Ive broke the front ones loose. But i cant break the rear wheels loose. Ive been lubing inside the hub with marvel mystery oil for weeks. Ive got the hubs to move, but only backwards. I can make them move foward by prying in a a prybar between the lug nuts and waming it with a big hamer. I can do full rotations inch by inch with hammer blows but thats it.

I have no key, the gear selctor only goes into the position its in plus 3 more. The pictures show in what gear its (supposedly) in

13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

20181201_160021.jpg 20181201_191733.jpg 20181201_191739.jpg 20181201_191744.jpg

Attached Files:

14. flatford39

flatford39

Does it have axle keys??? If so remove the drums and remove the keys. Is it a torque tube??? If not drop the drive shaft.

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you backed off the brake adjusters? You may have wheel cylinders that are so corroded they are expanded, and applying pressure to the shoes. You may also have a bunch of rust in and on the inside of the brake drums. Again, backing off the adjusters should in that case also.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

And if you get it freed up, applying the brakes may just push the wheel cylinder pistons out farther, with them sticking again. It would be good if you can get the drums off, so you can take a good look at the situation.

17. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks thats what im going to do then. Ill let off the adjusters too. I appriciate it. Thanks for the tip

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks, i dont know if it has axle keys.
    If i drop the drive shaft, that will loosen the rear wheels?

19. Budget36

Budget36

Doesn't budge at all? Best guess is brakes locked up, if stuck in park, would seem it should rock back and forth a bit.

Assuming the fronts roll, you may have to jack the rear up and put it on a car dolly to get it to the new place, then work on it at your leisure.

20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Ok i got her rolling. Took a while but worth all the time. I got new tires for the front and am using the two tires @Flathead Dave gave me for the rear. Thanks Dave, they went to good use.

The more time I spend with this car the more i fall in love with it. Its such a huge car and it sits high too. I had at once contemplated selling it to buy a 56 Buick super but im going to keep this Packard. At of all the cars I have it my mom's and wife's favorite.

Here is a picture of it. Off jack stands and ready to get towed out to my house.

Little victories, little by little. 20190113_170722.jpg

21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

How is that 65 Skylark coming?

22. v8flat44

v8flat44

My .02 worth: my dad had a 55 and a 56 Packard. Those cars would outrun most anything on the road.
    Parts are likely pricey & hard to find, but those motors are awesome and i think you can put a 727 tqflite
    behind it. "Ask the man who owns one". And yes dual quads were an option; passed everything but the gas station.

23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Good shes rolling too, new tires also. I got a Buick 430 on my stand and im going through it, and a th400 thats ready. Slowly but surely.

24. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thats good to know. The 352 Packard engine is going to stay for sure. I hope to one day mate it to a th400 or a torqueflight.

25. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hey guys I have another question. How can you tell the difference between all 3 Packard V8's???

Thanks Ronnie

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. egads

egads

27. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Ok thanks that is just what I needed. Im to go look at a rebuilt engine today from the man who sold me the Packard last year..

Its funny i called him and said "hi, i bought a Packard off you" (he had about 50 on his lot and has sold many"

He replied " are you that guy who dug the Packard out of the ground"

Hahaha

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. 55pack

55pack

55 Packards are great! But yes they can a bet a pain to find parts for. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app