Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Routing brake lines over steering arm/drag link

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

i have a Model A on deuce rails and it is time to route the brake lines. I have MT Lincoln-style drum brakes. I have F1 side steering. This car came to me with brake hoses that rub on the drag link and might chafe on the crown but that attaches the drag link to the steering arm.

Can any of you guys post pics of how you routed or angked the hoses ao that the line doesn’t chafe?

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

How about posting a pic of your setup

Tim and 46international like this.
  3. Ive seen cars with a rubber jacket over the left hose to prevent rubbing on the hose.A longer hose may work too if it raises the arch over the drag link.

4. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Hard to see in DS photo, but same as pass side, no rubbing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Mart

Mart

Bend the bracket so it shoots the hose up at an angle instead of out horizontally. Put the front end up on jackstands so you can crank the steering from lock to lock. You might have to loosen the brake connections while getting it set up, but you should be able to get a nice routing that does not foul the steering or suspension (or headlights) and go from lock to lock and also take into account suspension travel. Once the correct setup is arrived at, rebleed the brakes and you will be good to go.

Mart.

6. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I failed to set thread up to give me email notifications. I will apply the advice above. I'd really like to put the brackets on the top of the frame rails, but that would likely interfere with a hood (which I don't have today, but plan to have).

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simply lengthen the hoses with a "curve" to clear the suspension. Best to remove the spring and shocks so you can fully check any clearance issues at max axle travels and lock-to-lock steering.

upload_2019-1-31_10-12-59.jpeg