Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 29 Roadster Front Spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 34Dream'n, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 34Dream'n

34Dream'n

This is such a confusing subject, and I know it's been discussed a bunch, so I hate to bring it up again, but ...... I was just going to put in a reversed eye main spring, nothing more at this time. The attached photos show the spring that was in the car. As I understand it, the front spring on my Roadster should've only had 7 leaves. This spring has 12!!! I'm seeking opinions on why that spring may have been there and what should I do with it. Thank you.
    IMG_2013.jpg IMG_2014.jpg IMG_1972crop.jpg

2. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

My roadster had a similar spring setup. As far as why it was there, your car has had 90 years for people to make changes to it. It could have had a tired old spring pack and a previous owner changed it with whatever other Model A spring was available. Or they could have had frame damage and did a whole chassis swap with a sedan. Just a guess

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. you can see which leaves have been added, see the ones that are too short compared to the ones next to them? As Murocmaru said, after 90 years of use something had to be done. I guess you are trying to get the front a little lower, this may be a trial and error thing, use your reversed main and remove some or all of the added leaves just to see how it sits.

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

All Model A passenger cars came with a 10 leaf front spring PN A-5310-A. The 12 leaf spring PN A-5310-B was used under what is listed under "Special Equipt Chassis".

5. 34Dream'n

34Dream'n

Thank you all. ..... The "trial and error" method begins!!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree that it really looks like two extras (that don't match) have been added to the pack. that may be the two that my spring is missing.
    I'd say that the ideal that they were added by a previous owner to either correct an issue or to beef up the suspension at one time.
    It might take a bit of jockeying around with the leaves to get the final ride height and quality you want.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

8. 34Dream'n

34Dream'n

Rusty,
    That sure was an interesting thread. I guess I'm not alone!! ...... I just got my reversed eye main spring from Millworks and can't wait to start putting it back together, hopefully without issues?!?!?!

Thanks again, everybody!!

9. justsayno

justsayno
    from Delaware

Somewhere here, was spring removal for ride.
    We just pulled out 2 from my buddies stack
    Left the 2 longest, pulled number3 and 5.
    We had to add about 1.250 thick to top to raise car back up, weaker springs, lowered it some