Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. low down A

low down A

what this car had going for it was visual, that survivor paint with that 50's style interior is the cat's meow.when the honeymoon is over and reality stares back at you. that running gear and frame is a hack job.

2. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

raven, HunterYJ, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that terminology is lumping much of what we celebrate here into an entirely negative category. While it's not a Kurtis Kraft build much of what was probably done was typical of the average Hotrod and performed as expected. When the Hotrod is evaluated upgrades to what has been done will be evaluated and if it is not deemed adequate it will be modded or improved to whatever is agreed too perhaps reminiscent of a period standard.

I look forward to the continued shared findings and resurrection Riff continues to share with us.

J.Ukrop, dwollam, HunterYJ and 7 others like this.
  5. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

29/29 has two screws 30/31 have three. The most distinguishing part of the deluxe is the windshield is two inches shorter top to bottom so the top is different too. No deluxe in in 28/29. Talking Roadster only.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Junior - I'm in San Antonio area and I'd like to keep it with a shop closer to home if possible.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

One thing to consider, you have to be patient as the best shops are busy and it may take a bit longer to get in than you would like. I'm not trying to say that the place you can get into soon may not be fully qualified to do exactly what you want, just that there is a reason why you may have to wait awhile to get it done!

dwollam, HunterYJ, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

That is a GREAT Car !!! Don't Change it ! Take it apart. make sure that the frame is ok, fix only what needs fixing and put it back together and DRIVE IT.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dwollam and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  9. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks Wheeliedave. Planning some mild mods but keeping it pretty much same as when we got it.

loudbang and jimgoetz like this.
  10. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I understand,just throwing out options.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

You are definitely "not" a lost cause ! You have a pretty thick hide and have maintained your cool while under fire by some on this site. I think think your plan is AOK because it is your plan and the result will be a car that will be "traditional" and it will please you. If you Dad were here I'm sure he would like it too !

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @RiffRaffRoadster have you been following Tweety's Resurrection...its really coming together...you know what that means...a slot for a new build...it also gives you a good handle on Rexrods craftsmanship...pretty darned impressive.

Joking aside I wish you could meet Tweety's Owner and Son (I think it might be Son in Law)...they are very passionate about that Hotrod and great people too boot. They have been quite active at the shop on the build...hey maybe you can get your hand dirty too...;)

I have a vision of your A in there...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Are they prepping the Tweety roadster for the Grand National show? If so, the owner may be out there with the Rexrods crew. If not, I would like to meet them and learn more about their journey and get some pointers. And yes-get my hands dirty! I’m pretty humbled by how much these Hambers do most of the work themselves. As I said, I stumbled across this site by accident and I’m not a mechanic or fabricator. I’m willing to learn, however.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure but it's coming together quickly...@cactus asked...not sure if his question was answered...

Hey I'm just mechanically inclined myself and yes I can wrench but I pick and chose my battles and am equally impressed by those here that do it all...

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks wheeliedave-appreciate it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Those "handles" you mentioned are actually called "top rests" for the top irons to rest on when the top is folded down. They have often been called "grab handles" but that is an incorrect term.

17. Yes, the crew of RexRods and the owner of the Tweety roadster are all in Pomona setting up the car at the GNRS.

Mick

18. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

As far as I know, all 30-31 roadsters and touring so had a stainless cowl band.

19. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Wonderful ! You have a great car and are very lucky that it stayed in the family and you now have it !
    It will be a keepsake in the future for some lucky member of your family.
    Please keep us updated !

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes that and the function of the top rests on top of the quarters were answered earlier however it's easy to miss as the thread gets bigger...lotsa information in 16 pages...:confused:...uh 17...:D and going strong...;)

21. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I was mentioning to my wife that I was enjoying the ‘brotherhood’ of the H.A.M.B. I read her some of my posts and the responses, and she said it sounded like most of my posts were just ‘fishing’ for affirmation. That’s what wives are for, to bring you back down to earth. So I will try to tone down my updates to just a few words.

“Car still in pieces in driveway. Waiting for builder to look at it.”

22. loudbang

loudbang

Jeeze what to wives know :rolleyes: One thing about HAMBers is we LIKE lots of info so keep the long posts coming. :)

Stogy, dwollam, HunterYJ and 2 others like this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Nothing wrong with that, if what you're thinking is right, you get the affirmation and if it isn't quite right you'll get feedback on how it can be done better, at least in our opinions! :rolleyes:

Stogy, waxhead, dwollam and 1 other person like this.
  24. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Looks like rain so Riff Raff Roadster is safe and dry, and looking pretty pitiful.
    Ready to start the resurrection. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, dwollam, brEad and 5 others like this.
  25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

brad2v, dwollam, brEad and 5 others like this.
  26. raven

raven

If it’s raining, you got time to start scrubbing that interior...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Like this?[​IMG]

brad2v, dwollam, cactus1 and 13 others like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wowie was that using the Hamb special sauce?... Oh!!! Yeah and some elbow grease...:D...that looks amazing.​

29. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

My son is a professional car detailer (high end cars) and he has all kinds of cleaners. He suggested I mist the surface with a mix of alcohol and water then spray a special leather and vinyl cleaner he has. Really takes off the mold and grime.

brad2v, dwollam, Atwater Mike and 4 others like this.