Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster (2019 AMBR Contender)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Bob, you hit the nail on the head! If had a Bugatti grill shell, it would look very much like a pre-war Bugatti. Or with a different shell, a early Bentley.

Again, I highly admire Moal's workmanship; it's second to none. He names his business as a 'Coachbuilder' and it's entirely accurate. But his cars lack that indefinable 'Hot Rod' flavor somehow; they all look like they'd take their turn at Pebble Beach then off to the museum.

Moal should build a modern interpretation of something like a dual-cowl SSJ Duesenberg phaeton, that would suit his build 'style' perfectly... and might get him a AMBR.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

This looks like the car to beat, until I see all the other photos, so many fine details and styling ques from other cars. My guess is the owner wouldn't have any problem driving is sideways in the dirt, after he wins.

Bob

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Man, that was frigg'n cool as hell"......... Jackie Howerton.
    You got that right.

Thanks Tom, great video.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  4. I like it, but not all of it. It needs a windshield, maybe a Duvall style, only with the frame painted body color, maybe, or polished? Who knows, but with all the drawing programs out there, you could do a computer generated image with the windshield frame done both ways. The original drawing has a windshield. I don't like the interior, should have been all done in a distressed tan leather with a similar color something on the floor. At least it's not loaded up with all the crazy add ons that Moal likes to stick on everything. Good looking car though.

5. Wow o'Jackie finished ahead of some heavy hitters back in 1974.....

Fordnut40, ottoman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. The Howerton~Moal Special '32 or the Pinkee's built George Poteet '36 are the cars that to me are the front runners. I do like the styling of this build

Rusk and HEMI32 like this.
  7. Beautiful. HRP

ottoman likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'll say! That entry list reads like a Who's Who list of champ car racers. And the fact that he led flag-to-flag is incredible.

9. Here's an excerpt from an Autoweek logo.jpg news article by Mark Vaughn:

Grand National Roadster Show celebrates 70 years with 14 AMBR entries
    Show runs Friday through Sunday at the Fairplex in Pomona
    January 25, 2019

:
    :

This year, 2019, there are 14 roadsters vying for this most-coveted prize in all of rodding (Ridler who?). Those {include} Steve Moal’s cleverly engineered track roadster made into a hot rod.

:
    :

Long-time builder Steve Moal knew exactly what he was making with his roadster.

“It’s a race-inspired car, it’s right off the dirt track,” Moal said.

Indeed, Hoosier Hundred winner Jackie Howerton designed the suspension, with torsion bars front and rear, including a brilliant set of parallel torsion bars tucked way into the back of the frame, controlling the rear axle with the help of a Watts link.

“A lot of race cars are that way,” said Howerton, who was on hand in Pomona and who worked on the car all through its build. “I drew it up in pencil, then David (Moal) put it in CAD, and I got to see the dream come true.”

The car is powered by a Corvette engine, which you might think would be a drawback at a roadster show where there are a lot of original flatheads around. But Steve Moal isn’t worried about that.

“Sprint cars ran a lot of them,” he said of the Vette mill.

If you go to the show, look at that front grille, each slot machined by hand to curve around the front cross member. Look at the cockpit, too, with bomber seats and exposed metal just like you’d see in a race car.

“All indications are it will just drive beautifully,” Moal said.

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Mark Vaughn (1).jpg
    Steve & Michael Moal with the Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster (photo by Mark Vaughn)

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Mark Vaughn (2).jpg
    the cockpit of the Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster (photo by Mark Vaughn)
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Mark Vaughn (3).jpg
    the "trunk" of the Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster (photo by Mark Vaughn)
    :
    :

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Jackie started work on this car a few decades back when his shop was on the northwest side of Indy.

We used to belong to the same car club back then. He always had a racers eye for what is cool.
    Nice car, good luck guys!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its fun to look at

loudbang likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I saw the magazine article on a car he started back then, I think it finally ended up being the WMBR winner owned by Bill Lindig.

From link below.
    I bought the car from Howerton and after 3 1/2 years sold it to Bi ll Lindig who had So-Cal finish the car where it went on to win the AMBR award at The Grand National Roadster Show in 2012.
    Fred E. Fleet, Phoenix,Az

Old HAMB thread here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ECBAQAw&biw=1280&bih=752#imgrc=VaRKVTEpIigN8M:

chryslerfan55 and Pewsplace like this.
  13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think I remember reading that Jackie built two frames, one for himself and one to sell to finance the project.

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

John , This is a new car he started after moving to AZ.......

15. @DDDenny, @MercDeuceMan, @Speedwrench, & @GMC BUBBA -

Yes, Jackie's "first roadster" ended up with Bill Lindig ... was finished by So-Cal Speed Shop ... and won the AMBR award at the 2012 GNRS.

Yes, the "Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster" is is Jackie's "second roadster" ... and (as I stated post #1) is owned by Bill Grimsley.

Yes, Jackie has the patterns for this roadster's chassis (i.e., frame, suspension components, etc.) ... and Jackie plans to use the $$$ from this build to fund the build of a "Howerton~Moal Special" for himself ... and perhaps one for Steve Moal.

Do yourselves a favor and watch all 33+ minutes of the video in post #2 ... Jackie discusses all of this in his interview with Thom Taylor.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Hemi32 100% you just flat have to watch the whole video interview with Moal and Jackie Howerton to understand what the car is all about and have some of the things that look a bit iffy in some photos make sense and see the actual thought that went into them. The story within the story is great and pretty entertaining too.

17. Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  18. I hope this isn't too much of a diversion. I attended the 50th GNRS when it was still at the Cow Palace. I remember spending a long time looking at a race inspired roadster that was displayed there. It was unpainted at the time. Does anyone remember if that car was a predecessor to this car? Sorry I don't have a photo.

Great show today and this is a very impressive rod.

Phil

19. I was there too (in 2002 I think) and I remember the car and that it was a polished aluminum body track type roadster built by Steve Moal. It was eventually painted black and was sold to Tim Allen. Did it look like this? That was 17 years ago so I could be wrong since my memory sucks! licoricestreakspecial---06.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Hollywood-East like this.
  20. I was at the show and looked at the AMBR contenders and it comes down to two cars, the Howerton-Moal roadster and the Pinkee's-Poteet '36. The cars are both stunning but are two totally different concepts. Unless you see them both in person you really can't appreciate the details that are there. From an engineering standpoint the chassis that Jackie built is unbelievable and unique. I would give it the edge from that but the Pinkee's '36 is an impressive package too. I don't know much the display counts but Pinkee's 36 was on a two level finished maple deck with lighting where the Howerton roadster was simply on carpet, stark and all business.

chryslerfan55, teach'm and HEMI32 like this.
  21. This is the vibe I take when I look at Jackie's roadster, it's a true reflection of the man himself, all business and where he came from. I asked him once if that crash hurt as bad as it looked. His answer: Naw! It wasn't that bad! jackiehowerton31.jpeg jackiehowerton59.jpeg

22. The 50th GNRS was 20 years ago. I'm thinking the Tim Allen car was on display also, and was already completed.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  23. redo32

redo32

I also attended the 50th. and remember studying the bare aluminum car. It was sitting against the wall and we could walk around it. Great race car technology. This is the car that SoCal finished and won in 2012.

pprather likes this.
  24. Thanks. I thought I remembered that it was a 'Howerton' car.

Phil

25. I was there as well and it was 1999. The Tim Allen car was definitely done as I remember him being there with it. I don't remember the bare metal car.

26. I was at the 50th show also.

27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I spent more time looking at this car than the rest of the contenders, It really caught my eye.

28. I think you might be right about that.

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's not to like? Seems to me that there is a risk of incubating a bit of a "cookie cutter" mentality as far as what rings the HAMB's bell. This beautiful car stretches that boundary just a bit, and that is a good thing. God bless the one-offs, especially the ones like this with so much racing history and car building experience behind it.
    Wish I could watch the video (no FB).

chryslerfan55, Stogy and a boner like this.