Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 ford truck front fenders 1/2 ton vs big truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zip2000, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Zip2000

Zip2000

Hi all. I have been looking for a left front fender for my 39 truck. My 39 cab was a cab from a big truck because the fuel tank was under the seat, I have one very good right side fender that was from a 1/2 ton because it has the corner cut out for the bumper. I have both original fenders that are in very poor condition. Almost to the point I can't compare them to the other fender. I have read that the fenders for the half ton are different from the big truck fenders. Does anyone know what the difference would be ? I am new to these old trucks so please correct me if anything is wrong. Thank you.

2. Most times it's the opening for the wheel. Should very obvious

Hnstray likes this.
  3. As 325w said, larger wheel well radius. They could be wider, but I think that was later year

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Budget36

Budget36

I dunno, I mean you have a 1/2 ton fender and two large truck fenders...and you want someone to tell you what to look at?

Dang I must be getting old.

clem, Frankie47 and Pist-n-Broke like this.

5. Are you talking about a Truck like these?
    1940-ford-1-1-2-ton-truck-americanlisted_38051549.jpg Ford41twoTonStakeGrn1.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

wizzard, your trucks are 40s

7. The trucks in the photos aren't mine, just use as example. Wipers in Cowel is a big give away. 39 was pretty much the same but opening windshield. I'm pretty sure they all shared the same fenders in this style of truck of witch I have a pair of. Not sure what Zip2000 is trying to do but just maybe I can help Him (or Her) out.
    The Wizzard

8. I have to say to Zip2000 that the Big giveaway between Big truck and 1/2 Ton is the Free standing headlights, more like 36 Ford Car and the standard 39/40 passenger car headlight treatment. You do understand that 39-40 Truck fenders are Not the same a Car fenders, right?
    The Wizzard

9. Wow, I'll bet the OP is really confused now. Maybe if I post a pic of a '39 Ford truck it'll help?
    Forget 40-41...not the same.
    Big truck
    [​IMG]
    Pickup
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  10. Who's got a Hollander for interchange? 39 Big Truck looks the same as 40 up big truck except for Grill and Hood.

11. trollst

trollst

Ford built their first "big" truck in 35, before that they just put the cab and fenders from their pickups on heavier frames. In 35 they designed the truck with larger fenders, they aren't remotely close to a pickup fender, so, you'll have to find pickup fenders, luckily, everything else is the same.

RMR&C likes this.
  12. Zip2000

Zip2000

Hi guys.

I have to apologize for not responding to my original post. That was my first post ever and I couldn't find it after I posted and stumbled onto a message in my inbox saying it was moved. Great information has been shared. I really appreciate it.

I have attached two pictures. Both fenders are identical with the exception of the bottom corner where you see the notch in the corner and is longer by a few inches where that notch is. I plan to cut it off and roll the lip to match the other. Headlight hole is in the identical spot if you measure from where the running board will be to the center hole. Just curios what the notched one is. Wheel openings are identical along with all other measurements.

Thanks, zip

Attached Files:

scotts52 likes this.
  13. scotts52

scotts52

If you happen to run across any 38/39 tonner rear fenders please keep me in mind. I need both sides

14. Big truck fenders are taller than pickup because the bottoms of the doors are probably about 8" or so above the running boards, while the door bottoms almost touch the running boards on a pickup. Pickup fenders are the same '38 and '39. Big truck front fenders are the same '38-'41.

RMR&C likes this.