Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front shocks recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Never2old, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Ok I bought shocks that MIGHT work on an independent front but are way too stiff
    compression for my buggy spring setup.
    I need them to be chrome and 11" long at ride height with 5/8" dia. eyes at both ends.
    I can re-bush them if I have to.
    Can I get a (some) suggestion(s)?

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Empi makes some hydraulic non gas charged shocks for old Volkswagens. 9650 part number I believe.

I ordered 4 for the front and rear of my model A. I really like the feel of them in my hand. BUT the eyes will either need replaced or the steel bushings drilled.

In fact this week I will be trying to drill the front lowers out to 5/8" .

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The 'short shocks' you seek were Gabriel, for '49 Plymouth passenger car...

4. Problem is, every modern shock is now gas charged.....and they suck on any fairly light solid axle hot rod. IMO

AHotRod likes this.

5. butch27

butch27

Especially a t bucket...Yuck

AHotRod likes this.
  6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bilstein. Chrome. Choice of3 lengths. Available Speedway and others. Don't recall anyone saying anything detrimental about them. I have them f&r on a project, expect them to be great.

Chris

gimpyshotrods and da34guy like this.
  7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

The gas only stops the oil from foaming and becoming useless, if the valving for your purpose is wrong ( to stiff or not stiff enough on rebound or compression) gas or no gas won’t make a difference. Why not buy So Cal shocks ? Bilstein are great though.

Ned Ludd and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. X 2 on Bilstein.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Cheaper option is the street shocks from speedway motors. they make one 12" ride height that should be good for you, chrome. QA1 makes a Street Star I think that's chrome and is about same dimensions. Both these options are only Oil filled with NO gas. Speedway are the cheapest version, they held up good on my Tudor for many years, I have QA1 on the back of my 56 and they do great also. Billstein are good just too dang pricy and are gas charged mostly.

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

FYI I drilled the bottom on the empi shock ferral out to 5/8" with no problems today. Just lots of oil and go slow.

Btw you can find them on line for around 20. Each and again NOT gas charged ;)

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

X3 on the Bilstein shocks. I've been very happy with the set of four on my roadster.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. TurboRider

TurboRider

Just wondering if you got the Bilstein or you opted for another brand of shocks?

13. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Turborider, I determined that my problem is my front spring.
    My engine/transmission I assume, are lighter than what the spring was designed for.
    I used a shorter than stock spring along with a narrower axle so that my tires fit beneath the fenders.
    I will need to remove leafs and probably re-arch some to get the ride height and spring rate I want.
    I don't expect it to be a simple task but what's new?

I can determine if the Beilsteins are to my liking when I have accomplished the above.
    I am heartened by the replies by Happydaze, Malcolm and da34guy.
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I will report the final results.

harpo1313 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Only Bilsteins here.

15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Just went through this on my OT Race Car. I felt that the shocks were way too stiff. Sent them to a guy with a shock dyno that has been setting up shocks for 30 years. He told me that a car (even a light car) will do things to that shock that you will never do by hand on the bench. He was right. They are now set stiffer than where I thought they were too stiff and they work great.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  16. LBH

LBH

QA 1 double adjustable ....