Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Checking junkyard rear ends

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 49bruzer, Jan 24, 2019.

1. 49bruzer

49bruzer

I have found a Chevy 10 bolt rear end with 3.73s at the junkyard. Its dirty but no grease. I took off the cover and everything looks clean, smells like used gear oil. The pinion gear end spins smoothly with either tire being spun. But if I apply pressure to the pinion gear end and spin the tire, it holds in place and the tires spin freely. Is this normal? Is there any other test I can do before I buy all the missing brake items for it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I'd take it apart and inspect the bearings, and the pinion gear for cracks at the base of the teeth, worn axle shafts, etc. and probably buy a few new parts for it, before using it. But I doubt the junkyard would let you do any of this before you buy. maybe ask for a written warranty on the internal parts being good...but good luck with that!

3. FlyingRN

FlyingRN

If you were holding the pinion yoke stationary and then turn the wheel, the wheels should turn in opposite directions if it is an open (non posi) differential. This is normal operation. Hold the wheels stationary and rotate the pinion back and forth, you shouldn't feel much play in the pinion rotation. With the housing cover off, inspect the ring and pinion for broken teeth. I would be very cautious about buying a rear from a junkyard that had the fluid drained. Why was it drained? I would wonder if someone else had already drained it to do an inspection, found something faulty, and walked away from it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scrap metal 48 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Nowadays, all fluids are drained from junkyard cars for environmental reasons.

RICH B, 4ever18, FlyingRN and 7 others like this.

5. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Correct. Most yards run the engine, make a note (usually on the computer) of running condition. Local yard even drains the washer fluid. $1.00 per gallon used. Fills up your empty gallon milk jug!! Usually sold out this time of year. Keeps DEC happy and trust me keeping any agency happy is a good thing.
    I'd look more at the car. Wrecked? Bad motor tranny? High miles? First couple would probably be why it was in the yard. If so, good chance rear was working OK.

6. 49bruzer

49bruzer

Thanks for all your replies, I purchased the differential and inspected it. It seems to be in good shape, too bad I have to take out my 12 bolt 4.11s to put in this one. This one has the same track width as my new front suspension.

7. you bought a 10 bolt rear and you are going to put in 12 bolt gears? is that possible? i'm not very familiar with those rears

8. squirrel

squirrel

no, he's swapping out the whole rearend.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Is that the only reason you are doing it?

Bones

10. ...you said the front was 56' wide, if your rearend is the same you'll have problems...

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Buck a gallon for used washer fluid? I've been buying mine at Dollar Tree (as well as bleach) for $1.00 a gallon and it works just fine. Stop in a couple times a year, grab a few gallons at a time and store them in the garage. Also easy to make. Amonia/water, add alcohol for cold climate.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

13. 49bruzer

49bruzer

...you said the front was 56' wide, if your rearend is the same you'll have problems...

Isn't the track width supposed to be the same in the front and back?

14. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

What vehicle was the 10 bolt out of and what model of 10 bolt is it (7.5, 7.625, 8.2, 8.5)..? The narrowest 10 bolt I’m familiar with would be there early Chevy II 8.2 units and they are 57.75” to the wheel mounting surfaces. 2wd S10 7.5 axles are 54.25” to the WMS. Finding a narrow 10 bolt in a 56” width with 3.73 gears is a bit of an unusual find.. Show us what you’ve got.. What is the track width of your 12 bolt? Can you compensate for the width of the 12 bolt you have by offsetting the wheels..?

15. ...not necessarily,..I'll bet most hot rods don't have the same track width front and rear,..a lot of factory built cars don't either.
    ...let's see some pics of the front end in the truck...we're just trying to help steer you in the rite direction...I've built dozens of these trucks, so I have a handle on what works...