Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 chieftain str8 front disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russ51chieftain, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Russ51chieftain

Russ51chieftain

20150409_160448.jpg Just getting started on my 51 pontiac chieftain strr8 hydramatic . Hasnt run since 1974. My dad got it from his uncle who had since new. Motor seized , trans ? Was running up intil my dad heard a noise in engine and parked it . Decided its about time to get the old sled back on the road. Now looking at sourcing info on changing front brakes to disc , i would like to use original pedal /linkage assembly (probably manual dual master, limited room) . Would appreciate and help / ideas on brake build . Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would call a couple of the brake vendors. My first thought would be chevy conversions for the 49-52 might be applicable.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  3. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Disk brakes...Priority #974
    You are on... Priority# 2

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with both of them Check with Scarebird on the brakes as their kits are pretty simple in comparison to others.

And to a big degree I agree with F-ONE in that changing to disk brakes is way down the list of what that car needs right now but on the other hand rebuilding the drum brakes and then swapping to disk as soon as the car is ready for the road is spending money twice. Still I would be worrying about getting it running and getting a long list of other things done before getting too wound up in a brake swap. You do the things that absolutely have to be done first and then you do the things you decide you want to do.

harpo1313 likes this.
  6. Russ51chieftain

Russ51chieftain

Thanks again Fat47 and Cosmo50 , i will check out both your info leads . F -ONE and Mr48chev , i see your point about prioritizing the long list of things to do. I have stripped hood/bumpers /grill /fenders/rad /rad support,to allow easy access for engine and trans removal. I found a 54 str8 rebuilt to factory specs and rebuilt hydramatic trans out of Simi Valley from Hawaii Racing (Allen was a great help, checking a few things out for me with the pontiac museum down there before buying) ,which showed up jan 4 here in the great white north lol. So all this being said , the brake conversion thing i feel would be good to be done while engine and trans are out incase and frame/ mounting mods are needed (which i believe i saw on here on a 52 pontiac with dual manual master with remote reservoir.)i figure on doing brakes/fuel lines while big pieces are removed for ease of room in and around engine bay . This build is intended on running gear overhauled and leaving body alone ( not abeauty but a survivor . Car has couple rust holes in floor boards and rocker panel which will be done once car is up and running (driveable). Once again thanks for everyones input i do appreciate it very much, have a good day everyone. 20181212_151409.jpg 20181215_162941.jpg 20190107_185727.jpg

firstinsteele likes this.