Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Homemade notch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Jan 23, 2019.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

How's it going guys? Does anybody have a gambino notch that they can take a measurement from for me? Now before anybody gives me a hard time for asking, just know that I want to buy one from him, but the shipping makes it unreasonable. These are the measurements I need. Thanks IMG_20190123_100922.jpg

2. low down A

low down A

i don't think those measurements are set in stone. they could be whatever your project needs

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. butch27

butch27

I understand about the shipping and NOW everything includes taxes..

4. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I just want to make sure they're wide enough so that they don't buckle. I'm thinking 4" but I just want to make sure that'll suffice

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I just don't get how some companies can either do free shipping or really cheap shipping and then others charge an arm and a leg. I got my 4 link from paul horton up in Canada and I want to say shipping was $20 or something like that. I got my bag brackets from ebay, which are 1/4" thick and they were shipped free.

6. low down A

low down A

no such thing as free shipping you pay for it one way or another.cheaper product that looks like a good deal or higher price. nobody stays in business by losing money so you can get a good deal

Just Gary, Hnstray and Texas Webb like this.
  7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

It not really a secret . UPS and Fed-ex plus others all want as much business as they can . If you are a seller and you move enough packages they will cut you a deal on shipping . For Instance when I worked for UPS a company in Omaha would load out 12 to 16 Trailers a day . They got a very good rate per package . Another company might only send out two Trailers a day ,so probably didn't get the same rate. Now the really large companies could do even better if they would load by region. For instance if they can load a trailer for the East Coast states only. The trailer can be put on the train and bypass sorting at the local distribution center and save a lot of diesel fuel. I guarantee UPS knows exactly how much it costs every time a human has to touch each package.Also free shipping is easier for the consumer. A lot of people would not do Ebay because the shipping was different for each shipping location. Amazon Prime is a good example, people like conveince.

8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I gotcha. So back to the topic...anyone have a Gambino notch they can measure for me (or any other notch that's been proven to work)?

bct likes this.
  9. Stooge

Stooge

i dont have a Gambinos notch, but with notches I have used before, they are generally the same width as the top of the frame, say 4'ish inches, made from 4x4 square tubing, and made with an interior height of atleast 6" but the interior height is completely dependent on how low you want to go or how much floor you want to cut up. trying to lay frame will be a bigger size than just gaining some axle clearance, but you'll need to do the maths on frame height, wheel size, etc. I will say, the inner top of your paper notch looks pretty small and could be an issue if your placement is off in relation to where the axle will end up. here is an example diagram for a universal notch that AVS sells, though its probably bigger than you need. NOT4_2__67803_1413388212_1280_1280.jpg

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

If 4" is good for the side plate width (measurement A) then I'll be able to open the inner parts by a half inch on each side. I would go wider (longer?) Overall but I'm worried about running into clearance issues with the back seat. It'll make the very top of the inner opening 6" wide.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that the section width should match the frame rail width in both directions.
    I'm not into the laying frame mini truck crap so how deep it is isn't an issue for me but to each his own. You make it as deep as you need it to get the job you want to do done on the particular vehicle you are working on.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

IMG_20190106_152204.jpg IMG_20181219_190539.jpg
    That's where it sits and that's exactly where its staying. I have exactly 1.5" between my axle tube and my frame. The notch is to allow full upward axle travel. The frame rail at the rockers is about 4.5" but it gets kinda short over the axle, I think I measured it out to be 3" (where the pens pointing).
    15483515248462176767801363341501.jpg Now I would never make the notch plates 3" wide/tall but I want to make them as small of a measurement as I can safely.

13. Stooge

Stooge

Do you think you could get away with just doing a C channel notch? this could save a lot of headache regarding your rear floor and seats since you wont be going above the top of the frame like a full size notches, so no cutting up the floor and is a lot less invasive in regards to cutting up the frame

14. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

If I did that would take frame material out of the only 3" that there now and take it down to like an inch or so so theres no way I want to do that. I'm not too worried about cutting into the trunk floor and my drive shaft isn't hitting at all so since I'm not going any lower I'm good with the tunnel.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

So how much would Gambino charge to ship the C notch pieces? How friggin heavy can these pieces be???????

16. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

A little over $80

17. Back in the late 90s, I was interested in lowering a then late model Dodge Ram pickup. There were dozens of vendors selling notches. The competition is fierce and the prices reflect that. They are still out there. A search on fleabay will literally get you 500 hits. Many are "kits", shipped flat, that need a bit of welding: others are boxed and just need to be spliced in. A Google search will find you others that don't sell on fleabay.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/c-notch.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-C-Notch-...-Inch-Frame-Step-C-Notch-CNotch-/183150383537
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Tall-2-...slammed-c-notch-bagged-air-ride-/323650503145

18. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I've seen the ebay kits. I found one I almost bought that was the exact width for the frame, but there was something about it I didnt like. I think it was too long front to back or something.