Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's be honest here, prior to your HAMB life what era were you into?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jan 22, 2019.

1. I graduated high school in ‘85 the area was financially depressed. There wasn’t much going on in the car scene that I was aware of, but the older kids on the block had old wore out muscle cars which I loved. One guy had a 57 chevy that I really loved. My first cool car was a 69 camaro, but Dad had an old Vette stashed. When I started working on my camaro I started harassing Dad about his Vette, it didn’t take long for the camaro to be evicted from his garage. We started working on his 57 Vette, finished it right after I graduated. So I’ve always liked muscle cars and old Vettes, tri five chevies too. The HAMB introduced me to pre war cars and helped focus my style. I lean towards “HAMB correct “ but I’m not hung up on it.

wicarnut and Roothawg like this.
  2. 2008 mini stock.PNG Oval track stuff...dirt and pavement...it didn't matter...loved the old coaches and coupes mostly...got to race my first roundy round in 1980 at the age of 19...it was a 1967 Camaro....still have a just about race-ready Dodge Neon in the spare stall at the garage...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Roothawg likes this.
  3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Prior to the HAMB I was into 60's and 70's muscle cars (mostly chevy's) and Tri-5 Chevys. Now I have a 51 Merc, 29 Model A Roadster, 1933Ford and 1929 Roadster Pickup Project.

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

763D1419-F867-485A-93EF-B65D93BB2687.jpeg Born in 67 and cut my teeth on the early 70s Rod Action, Street Rodder and Rod and Custom

My engine today is a product of that time

wicarnut, swade41, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  5. I graduated in '65, Kinda stuck there. At 71 Istill don't understand why poodle skirts and Do-Wop music are so prevalent at car shows.
    11th grade ride,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. Born in '49, grew up watching hotrodders of the '50s go in and out of the drive-in restaurant across the highway, and seeing the local guys and Air Force airmen drag up and down the highway, so I was hooked. Uncle a quarter mile up the road operated the town's junk yard, so that added to the gearhead inoculation. Also too poor to have someone else fix our cars, so I helped Dad whenever there was an opportunity to go under the hood. Anything post-WWII through the 1960s and I'm in.

williebill and loudbang like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember when I was quite young and what it was like in the very early '60s...before muscle-cars...basically a continuation of the '50s.

So anything done in a '50s through mid '60s style.

But I built models of '20s and '30s hot rod roadsters and coupes, read all the magazines and was influenced by Mr. Felson's HOT ROD and knew by age 9-10 that I'd have a Deuce Coupe someday. American Graffiti just reinforced the dream.

So even though I don't have personal experience, I do have an affinity for the early hot rods...especially roadsters...and the 30s and 40s era style.

I do so want to be Bud Crane..."careening" down a 2-laner in my old roadster...open pipes "blaring".
    :D

williebill and Roothawg like this.
  8. roadster1923

roadster1923
    from Girard PA

It all started for me in 1972 with my first car a 1938 Chevy coupe. S&J2.JPG

9. KFC

KFC
    from UK

90’s Japanese cars

Nostrebor likes this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Also born in 1958. Definitely know what you went through. Loved every minute of it.

Blues4U and Roothawg like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Born in 1952 and can remember when I was one of the younger guys interested in these cars. What happened?

williebill likes this.
  12. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The late 1800's. I wanted to be a cowboy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    theHIGHLANDER and loudbang like this.
  14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Am 70 And Still Comfortable In The 60s... 26231528_1958553994468872_1433347531996413577_n (1).jpg

302GMC, Roothawg and jnaki like this.
  15. slider-ok

slider-ok
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oklahoma

born 59 brought home in a 59 impala convertible give my left n to have now... first car was a vw at 14 got it running and sold before I could legally drive. First car on the road was a 73 capri that I build the 4 up and it held it's own lowered it and flared the wells all around. Then came the AF and got into 40's and 50s. Had a 48 chevy coupe and a 57 2dr hdtp everyone want to race it only it was pretty much stock except for headers. The 48 had a 327 build with double hump heads it was my "hot rod Lincoln". Cars got to expense so I built Harleys till the 90s still remember picking a 45 flathead for 150$ all in boxes. Ran a shop for a while got out of it when lawyers and such started riding them. Still have 2 pans and a iron head sportster that you can't roll a beer can under the frame. Now I'm back into cars again, working on a 61 buick special 2 door sedan delivery that used to be a wagon. Have a few 40s, 50s, and 60s waiting in the wings. Now as for what I'm into that's easy anything on wheels that I can fix and/or modify to my own taste, always been that way. I forgot "Car toons and Hotrod Cartoons" had a influence.

16. Always into hot rods since middle school, but took a detour into sports cars in my early 20’s. When the HAMB came along and I started reading it I became aware of how much I missed traditional hot rods.

17. dan griffin

dan griffin

If you know what 3/8 X 3/8 means you are giving your age away.

18. Just guess it was all we could afford - my bro got a 62 Lark for his teen years and right behind him I got my Stude pick up....kinda think he was jealous as he got a 55 Chevy truck next - which he still has - and me - Stillrunning with my Stude pick em up....so what was the question ?

19. mopacltd

mopacltd

Born in '48. First car a '54 Ford and then the '55 Cheby post car. Military took me pretty much overseas until '69. Only HAMB friendly vehicle until 1998 was an injected Hemi FED, but a bunch of fast straight line cars(NHRA class and bracket cars). I still own one of the fast cars, and a few non-HAMB friendly muscle and pro-street, but my fun Hamb friendly car is a '30 426 powered Model A. Yep, my avitar

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Think you forgot your 55 Charles...

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Big Block Camaro's. I miss that car. Dad bought it for my brother when I was in grade school. We walked a few blocks from home to purchase it, and after the first ride in it home I was hooked. Crusier Camero photos 695.jpg

22. mopacltd

mopacltd

23. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Did I see your pickup on Craigslist here awhile back? I live in Seattle and it looks so familiar from Craigslist window shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

Born in 64 so I grew up with the 60s and 70s hotrod magazines don’t know what happen to me to get into cars because no one in the family had been into hot Rods. But some how it got into my blood and I’ve never looked back. First car was this 55 Chevy (picture in 79 when I got it)which I still have. Went 3DFB6B83-0756-4BDC-9B58-58695D4093BC.jpeg through a lot of cars but got my first I say real hot rod at 32 years old a 32 5 window still like the 60s and 70s hot rods

25. I'm a 64 model, dad always had cool stuff(which were daily drivers back then), so I gravitated to 60s muscle. But, I'm a certifiable car nut. I JUST LOVE CARS. I like different cars for different reasons. I like traditional rods for the simplicity of times gone by, I like 70s street rods because of the wild paint and loads of chrome, I like 80s pro streetcars because it was happening all around me while in the early stages of driving. And I like 60s muscle, because that's what I grew up with.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. That would be a for sure No. F-100's are like 32 Roadsters, they all look the same.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Grew up in the '80s with a lot of mini trucks around in Duarte, CA, later got WOW'ed by Pro Street creations in car mags, bright paint jobs n graphs, but rented American Graffitti in Fall '87 while reading "Christine", and the '50s were suddenly my favorite flavor...

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 78Magnum

78Magnum

I was born in 1986. My first car was a 74 Plymouth Duster that I paid $200 for in 2002. I grew up with my dad having 70s Mopar's, a 1979 Dodge Magnum GT and a 1977 D-100 Club Cab. I followed in what I grew up around and have owned many 80s Dodge pick-ups throughout my 20s and my latest fun car was a big block 1978 Dodge Magnum XE. We started drag racing about 10 years ago with a 23 T Altered and since coming across the Hamb my interests have started to turn to older and older vehicles as well as vintage drag racing

29. LOL We have never been a "custom" car family. Bombitas yes but not customs like what we consider traditional. We like me just not our kind of car.

One night late when we were spending some quality time on the couch "A Gnome Named Gnorm" was on HBO. In our minds that song became a classic. Now when we have nothing else to laugh at we sing it and walk around like Gnomes. :D

upspirate likes this.
  30. Car crazy since birth.In 1959 as a 5 year old we went camping in a state park.The folks next to us had a modern car,and this funny truck with no roof,and a chrome grill shell.I asked my dad...why cant we have a car like that?He about shit....why would anyone want a 29 Ford roadster pu? Have a 32 PU,55 Cameo.Collecting parts for a AV8 build...and a 55 post car build.I plan on being under one of them the day I die.