Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Narrowing Rear End Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Jan 23, 2019.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

I'm hoping i got this right? (measuring with drums and from wheel mating surface)

Original rear end is 41.5" Wide New rear is 54.5" wide
    Original yoke is centered New rear yoke is offset 3/4"
    So i know i need to shorten it 13" but order to center the yoke i should have to take
    7 1/4 off long side and 5 3/4 off the short?
    This my first time doing this so not sure hoping someone can chime in.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I would suggest what ever your plan, that you make sure you have axles the correct length to match any housing changes...

3. What's the offset of old and the offsett of the new again?

4. oj

oj

The new rear @ 54.5 w/ .750 offset would make one side 27.625 & the other 26.875
    The existing rear @ 41.5 w/ centered pinion would make each side 20.750
    Then 27.625 - 20.75 = 6.875; 26.875 - 20.75 = 6.125
    To test 6.875 + 6.125 = 13" ot 54.5 -41.5
    Thats a narrow sucker, drag race?

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. thegearhead

thegearhead

I’m having the original axle’s resplined.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want to narrow a rear axle the Ford full size van, rear wheel drive, is a popular one. The reason is that the engine and differential are offset to the right. The right side axle is about a foot shorter than the left. This means you can shorten the left side of the housing and use a stock right side axle shaft.

COCONUTS and dana barlow like this.
  7. thegearhead

thegearhead

30EFBAB3-7135-401F-AAB6-5D926FD1689A.jpeg
    Thanks! And actually no that’s factory width for car lol

oj and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. oj

oj

Is that a Timkin?

9. redo32

redo32

O.K. Since you won't mention it I am forced to ask.... What kind of car?

Clay Belt and Hnstray like this.
  10. thegearhead

thegearhead

It's a 50 Crosley haha Built in good ol Cincinnati Ohio

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where are you taking these measurements from?

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, numbers are your friend!
    Light bulb moment time.

13. redo32

redo32

Well don't be embarrassed. I've got some Crosley parts in my backyard too!

14. thegearhead

thegearhead

Axle flange to axle flange with drums on for overall width.

15. thegearhead

thegearhead

o really? I wish i could find parts around here but i'd have just as much luck finding em in the middle of the ocean

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

At 41.5 I knew it was a Crosley..Your measurements are ok; be sure there is enough meat on axles to re-spline at shorter length..I would be interested in all four brake drums if you want to part with them..

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. thegearhead

thegearhead

Well I actually got rotors on mine but i do have a rear and front axle out back that has drums but there's only 3 2 front 1 rear. I wont be using those if any interest.

loudbang likes this.
  18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Dont mess with the offset (unless for some reason you need it) measure off the pinion center and the new flange, and remove enough material to get to 20.750 and repeat on the other side

loudbang likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys are anal about having the housing centered in the frame (including me) Some are equally anal about not having the driveshaft angle over to the right as it comes from the trans to the rear even though every Ford with a nine inch since 57 had exactly that with no issues except when Chevy guys spotted the driveshaft. No big deal for most Ford guys a shit your pants cause that is all wrong according to Chevy guys.
    Axles have to be shortened the exact same amount you shorten the tube not to 1/2 of the total end width after you shorten the tubes.
    You can get pretty narrow with one as my bud's rear shows. I can't remember the WMS to WMS but it is narrow.
    [​IMG]

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A handy reference to calculate axle lengths

Attached Files:

loudbang and Chavezk21 like this.
  21. thegearhead

thegearhead

Doing a little more research and seeing that most all GM 10 bolts like the 7.5 where factory offset 1/2" This being the weakling 6.5 10bolt i might of been of on my offset not being 3/4 but actually 1/2 if so i'll just run that slight angle. Or could always set it to center pinion and run a wheel spacer on one side.

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Will diff offset to the side (assuming angle calculated) compensate for pinion angle that is normally built in during a project build???

23. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

As I would define "offset", if it's 3/4", the axle housing tube on the passenger side is 3/4" shorter, on the driver side, 3/4" longer. The difference in length between the two is therefore 1-1/2", so i would agree with Gearhead's initial calculation. (Note - this assumes the replacement rear end has equal length axle housings, even though the pinion is offset. This is not necessarily true, e.g., the half ton Thames panel truck.)

24. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

There are other aspects to be considered in determining the desired shortening.

If the application is for a stock bodied Crosley, which you're repowering but want to keep original looking, you're on the right track. If you're building a mini-gasser, with wide wheels, you need to resolve where you want the rear tires to be; inside the body, protruding a few inches, or what? The Crosley has a rear track of 40". (Note - not the same a the flange to flange dimension.) Sedan/wagon bodies are 49" wide. The Hotshot/ Super Sports is 51" wide, looks a bit silly with the 40" track. I put 1" wheel spacers on my SS, to get the wheels in the correct place relative to the body.

Looks to be a Vega/Monza et al rear end that you're using, which of course are the same bolt pattern as Crosley. And I think I see Crosley discs on the front. The calipers are not too good. I'd look into adapting motorcycle calipers, or some single pot type off small oval track race car. I've run across these for about 10 bucks apiece at swap meets.

If you get in a bind for Crosley pieces, let me know.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  25. thegearhead

thegearhead

I'll measure axles today i believe they were the same length as each other. Brakes are disk now the rear will be drum and front will be converted to modern disk. I want the stock look and will only probably be running 13" wheels. Which are 4 1/2 -5" wide in rear 4" in front. It is a vega rear and that's one reason i wanted it was matching bolt pattern. My friend Jaks has one with a Suzuki engine & trans but when you see the wheels you can tell its not original drive train.

26. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Don't know how much power you're trying to accommodate, but a Sprite/Midget is 42" track, same wheel bolt pattern, good for maybe 3 to 4 times Crosley power. Triumph TR3 is 45" track, has 4.5" bolt circle. Virtually all other "findable" axles have at least a couple of inches wider track.

27. badvolvo

badvolvo

Talk to your machinist about resplining the axles, by narrowing that much, you may be out of the hardened area. I made that mistake once, twisted those babies right off the axle with a very mild 355 and street tires.

chryslerfan55 and seb fontana like this.
  28. If you are building a Crosley they commonly had the wheels and tires outside of the rear fenders. Like mine. Of course not always and tires under the body is a matter of personal taste. The reason I am saying this is that maybe you only want to narrow the rear enough to center the pinion. ;) DAEF049C-73E5-44A6-9DC5-61A72E40A354.jpeg

scott27 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Joe H

Joe H

To your question about driveline angles and offset pinion, I would think the offset side to side would work just as well as up and down in a normal situation. The driveshaft doesn't know the difference, all it knows is the angle at front matches the rear.

pitman, chryslerfan55 and seb fontana like this.
  30. In theory a pinion offset can give you some parasitic drag. In application it is not going to be a real deal breaker.

If I am cutting one down I usually try and center the pinion. The math is really pretty simple.

Let us suppose that you are cutting a rear that the pinion is offset 2". The rear is 8" wider than you want so you are cutting 8" off of the total width. To keep it the same offset you simply cut 4" off of a side. But if you to move the pinion 2" say to the right you would then cut 6" off of the right side and 2" off of the left.

@Mr48chev that 9" housing I have hanging on my wall is 39.625" flange to flange with the pinion centered. I cut it to fit a specific car. That project took a different direction so now I have a round back 9 with a centered pinion that is going to need new tubes if I ever use it. LOL

You may note that if the punkin is visible from the rear that it will no longer be centered. So if that is an issue just leave the pinion offset and cut 4" from a side.

Soooo many decisions. LOL