Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's be honest here, prior to your HAMB life what era were you into?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jan 22, 2019.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Born in 1959, first two cars were 67 Mustangs, so I stayed in the mid 60’s to mid 70’s cars, what I knew and saw growing up. Had an El Camino, a 66-7 Nova pieced together out of two cars, had a couple of Vega’s I was gonna do a V8 in, also had a back halved Vega that I did put a 327 in, but never drove any of them. Always something else called my name and down the road they went. Finally did finish one, a 74 Maverick 302, it eventually got traded for my Linc.

I liked the 70’s to 80’s rods, wide white letter tires, polished slots or 5 spokes, metal flake paint. I always wanted a pre war car, but never found one I could afford. Bought and traded for a few piles of rusty metal that got sold or traded. Had a 38 Chrysler Royal coupe that would have made a nice car, but it was above my skill level at the time. Same with a nice solid 47-48 Ford coupe, not enough skills or money to build. But when I spotted my Lincoln, I knew it was the one, I had to have it.

It’s still getting there. I picture it with polished 5 spokes or slots, big black wall tires tucked under the fenders, and a slight rake. All trim except the stainless strip painted metallic silver and clear coated. Maybe in a year or two it will fill the dream.

wicarnut, chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  2. trollst

trollst

DSC07263.JPG DSC07273.JPG Born in 55, I lke the 60's hot rod era, but my favourite is unfinished under construction stuff. Gray Baskervilles car is exactly what I like to see, and build, I don't care if it's primer or paint, a car always under changes turns my crank. View attachment 4166762 View attachment 4166762

Driver50x, wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Born in 63 , first car givin to me at 12 was a 66 cortina GT with a blown head gasket..fixed that learned how to drive a stick. At 13 my Uncle sold me his 57 chevy 150 . Still have it. Went through Camaros Chevelles etc , lots of tri 5 chevy's cars and trucks both. Always loved 30s hot rods read all the street rodder R&C mags back in the day. Not a lifestyle for me ..Its what I do.

mopacltd, Roothawg, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  4. brandon

brandon

60's and 80's....

Roothawg likes this.
  5. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Born in '56 and was a hot rod freak even as a kid. Each issue of Rod&Custom, Hot Rod, Car Craft magazines were read over and over. So late 60's early 70's is still my favorite era. First car was a '65 GTO because it was cheap at the time and I could work on it as I drove it. Had a bunch of muscle cars until early 80's before I got a proper hot rod. American Graffiti and CA Kid had big influences on me.

6. Born in 63. I always liked the 50’s and 60’s cars as did all my high school buddies and that’s all we drove.My first car was a 54 Ford that never legally made it on the road. That car led to my lifetime career choice as a mechanic and auto collision tech.
    I drove a 66 Ford F100 every day to school then and recently redid it for my dad.
    In 1983, while in college, I purchased a 65 Plymouth Barracuda that I still regularly drive every summer. Bought a 69 Ford Fairlane station wagon that I daily drove for 10 years as our family car, long before wagons were cool, that I redid a few years ago for the 3rd time and drive to shows and cruise ins.
    It wasn’t until I did all the bodywork and paint on my buddies 30 A coupe a couple years ago that I was smitten by the older traditional cars. Bought a 29 A sedan to fill that need. My wife calls it hers. I don’t care what we call it as long as I have it.Loving every minute of it.

Roothawg, wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Born in 43. My first car was a 39 Ford coupe I bought when I was 15. Stock body, but learned a lot by doing two engine swaps. Next, an Olds powered 34 Ford pickup, chopped, channelled, shortened bed. Followed by a Buick powered 47 Chev coupe.
    I sold the Chev in 1963 to cover university tuition, and drove a Sprite that I hopped up.
    While in the RCAF, stationed in Moose Jaw, yes it is a place, I had a 53 Merc pickup into which, I swapped several engines, the last one of which was a 394. In 1968, I found my 55 Cameo, and have had it ever since. It has had three engine transplants, and it now has a big block that I installed in 1971.
    I have stayed old school, solid axle, traditional parts, and believe that mechanical condition is more important than the finish. It was a superb sleeper, and with 4.57 gears, fat tires, and overdrive, it blew the doors off a lot of factory cars.
    Bob

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

sums it up pretty well for me also.

9. I was in high school in the 80’s so the billet scene was just ramping up. Since that was the style during my youth I’m not allergic to a mild StreetRod car. I don’t care for the over the top billet cars though.

We used to run everything in a brushed finish - even going so far as to wipe down the chrome door handles and small parts with a scotchbrite pad to get the look. I still like to check out the Boyd Coddington and similar cars on the web.

What can I say? I’m a poser. Sue me...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

By the time I was 21 ,I had a 1931 Model hiboy .

11. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I was born in 1952 my mom had a 1954 Plymouth convertible until 1965. Before I was born my dad sold Chevrolet's and the year I was born he went to work for the Dodge Div of Chrysler up until 1968 when he bought in a dealership. He told me I had to buy my own car ( which at the time I didn't understand) but I'm sure glad he did. I learned a lot that way and my 1st car I bought was 1947 Dodge 4dr deluxe. Work detail while in school I bought and sold 23 cars in tow years. My Dad wanted me to buy a 1968 R/T we had on the lot but we had this 1966 Sport Fury convertible that happened to be a 383 4 speed that was the one for me. I drag raced it in pure stock one year winning class 5 out of 6 times to the track. I also had a 1963 Chrysler 300 non letter car with a 426 wedge 365 hp that was pretty quick. I never owned a muscle car per say. I like sleepers that the cops didn't look at. I started to build Hot Rod's but never could seem to stay with it because of drag racing so much but I'm working on a 1939 Plymouth Coupe now so we have the engine almost done (1957-392 HEMI) . Looking forward to getting it on the road. IMG_20161211_082311627.jpg IMG_20171029_091643708.jpg

12. choptop40

choptop40

Into anything with a sprocket or a motor....Still always about impressing the opposite sex...got a lot a babes with the wheels...just lucky I guess...

Roothawg likes this.
  13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Ditto that Chop! Now a days it's how new a phone you have an how much Hollister clothing you wear... Geezuzzz
    When I was a kid rolling into the convenient store where all the older Dude's hung out in the parking lot with there car's which was behind a sunoco station all the older Dude's used to give me the"Nod" in my tunnel rammed Chevy II

14. skipstitch

skipstitch

Always anything in the '40's. Music, cars, hot rods. Pre-war or post.

Roothawg and 1953naegle like this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Born in 43. 1st car was a 37 Ford pickup then a 54 Merc then a 57 Pontiac. Many family cars but have always had trifive Chevys around for the last 40+ years-maybe 30-35 thru the years, couple of 50 Olds coupes-then there are the 40's of which we have had many. Still have wife's 55 (41yrs) and my ol standby 40 coupe. Never was much into fads. Kinda like stock looking with some extra under the hood.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before the Hamb.
    Hmmm...have to think for a second.
    Oh yeah...
    I thought I was the only idiot around who drives really old cars on a regular basis.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Roothawg, jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. choptop40

choptop40

I'll drink to that Gents

Hollywood-East likes this.
  18. I just like cutting up cars
    I only post stuff that fits( or close to) the guidelines
    I still like 4x4s, tuners. mini trucks, muscle, pro touring, rusty rodents electric, gas,diesel, lowriders, euro trash, pogo sticks, space ships .......
    nothing has changed

19. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Born in '48. Living is Southern California, Just fell in love with anything that had wheels.
    1970 Sportster, 1964 Buick Riviera (Watson painted), partnered on 1970 Pontiac funny car (used my reenlistment bonus), 1958 Sportster (Ken Howard painted), 1976 Vette, 1955 Panhead, 1976 Shovel, 1974 Shovel, 71 Vega Station wagon pro street, crewed on two fuel altered teams, 1923 Ford , 1954 F100, 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, 2003 Super Glide. Currently looking into a 1958 Chevy station wagon
    I respect the HAMB rules and only post acceptable cars.

Squablow, loudbang, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Born into car/racing family, 16, 1964 my first car 57 Chevy, then 56 Chevy ragtop, 58 Chevy ragtop, 60 Ford ragtop, 64 Impala SS, cruised/street raced till 70, went dirt track open wheel racing 21 years, came back to hobby cars, purchased 89 camaro ragtop new 89/still have it, purchased a street rod style HighBoy Roadster, HAMB friendly, 32 Ford full fendered 3 window, 51 Buick Roadmaster, currently have 51 Mercury Mild Kustom, also have mint OT Dodge Magnum RT, My deal is 60's look, I was there. When I found the HAMB (Bob K ref, joined 09) felt I fit in pretty well even though I'm not a diehard model A flathead guy. The HAMB influence seems to be the current trend IMO, 50's/60's, Hot Rods/Kustoms. To answer your question I've always been a 60's look guy with 1 exception, my Roadster, fad paint, tweed interior, aluminium wheels, repaint flat/shiny black, tuck/roll interior, old style wheels and it is a HAMB friendly car. Through the years my thoughts have changed some, Restored Stock, Survivor and Restomod style rides float my boat these days and as always Kustoms are Kool. More Pic's in my albums

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  21. I was born in '43 and it seemed like I was never exposed to hot rods or classics. They were simply off the radar in my corner of the world as far as I could tell. But I always had an affinity for the sexy, voluptuous curves of the 1940s. For the first 20 something years of my working life, I was scratching out a living one paycheck at a time, so I never had any spare cash but it seemed like I could usually get a loan on something new. So my one option narrowed down to late model muscle and then wrench on them to shave about 2 seconds off the factory tune, 1/4 mile times. I really peaked in the late 60s and was owning my class each weekend at the drag strip for a while. Family and work kept me busy and the cars got a little more expensive with more depreciation. I got tired of it.
    It was really only 10 or 15 years ago that I decided to let loose my nostalgia side. I love all the cars of the HAMB but my old bones really appreciate a top, some windows, and air conditioning more than I could a roadster. So give me something sweet from the 40s or early 50s with an OHV V8 strong enough to run the A/C and bark the tires.

Hombre, metlmunchr, raven and 5 others like this.
  22. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Born 88' but I was raised to build stuff with my own hands and respect what prior generations have built. I had a muscile car "phase" that was cured by a 54' Chevy sedan before I could spend any money on a Mustang. I wasn't too keen on my peers interests in mud trucks, but always had respect for classic utility and practicality (mostly classic trucks being used as trucks).

23. I've been really lucky in that the H.A.M.B. wasn't anything new when I found this place. I've made a living all my life with Grease under my nails and a Welding hood close to my Lunch Box. I have worked on or built nearly everything that's come around the corner Gas, Diesel, and Foreign. I chopped my first 49 Ford coupe in 1962 and I was driving this then though it has gone through a couple variations over the years.
    32 Stude 0003.jpg I suppose I'll drive it again some day. Trucks like this are common place though I didn't have to start with Scrap Iron back in the 70's.
    The Truck 009.jpg
    I did my first frame graph to my 55 in 1968. That was not this truck. I've had to many 57 Fords to remember and this will be my last one (ever heard that before?)
    09-18-10 005.jpg Always trying to build one as nice as the First one I had way back then. Some day, maybe. Best stock original was only a good place to start. So, where was I before the H.A.M.B.? When I took off my coveralls after doing my 8 hours I went into the other room and went back to work on my own piece. I love Big Horse Power and the Smell of burning rubber, so did my Dad. I remember my Dad laughing at the first Volkswagon one my sisters Boy Friend drove way back in the early 60's. He was so insulted by the time Dad got done with him he never came back. Dad said they didn't have a chance here in the U.S.A. I remember those first little tiny Honda cars and there Big Inch 750 kits. Who the Hell were they kidding? Get outta Here! Come on, get in my 427 Galixie and lets' get a Burger. Those were the days, I guess that's what keeps me here. You can Fire me if you want but you can't make me leave, I live it.
    The Wizzard

Hombre, loudbang, 302GMC and 11 others like this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was born in 1950 near LAX where it was beaches, surfing, hot rods and Lions Drag strip. My first car was a $65 '40 Ford Deluxe coupe at 15. I rebelled completely against the muscle cars, always building old Fords that were faster than all the GTOs, Camaros and stuff. I've always felt there was more to be proud of in a home built hot rod than a factory/dealer built car.
    I finally realized that I tend to gravitate to the late '50s to mid '60s styles and these days that's all I build. I'm currently building close replicas of the cars that roamed around my neighborhood or might have been seen in the pits at Lions in those years.

Sky Six, Roothawg, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey PnB, that looks like a Pontiac in that coupe. Got any more pics?

26. Good eye, so ya. I like looking at it too.
    1-29-05 001.jpg They come apart so easy.

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Born back in ‘72, didn’t really get hooked ( addicted that is) until my dad got an O/T Plymouth convertible, after that it was a ‘48 Dodge 2dr, followed by a ‘54 Mercury ( should’ve kept that one) , all while dad was working on his ‘34 Plymouth 2dr. I got the truck in my avatar in ‘87, been having fun since.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nostrebor, Roothawg and wicarnut like this.
  28. mlake01

mlake01

Just a youngster, born in ‘66 - but my first car was a ‘27 DB 3-window coupe I built myself. 6” chop, 455 Buick, etc.

Definitely cut my teeth during the Cragar SS, 50 series radials, and air shocks era...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. I was slightly into muscle cars, then quickly found my '60 elco (1993) and the little books. Late 80's is when I was first driving and pastels where in full swing (followed by billet)...I wanted to puke. I even hated Model A's and '32s until I saw them in 50's mags and I was hooked. I've always been into 20's-50's everything......I stuck out like a sore thumb where and when I grew up. Was helping a friend build a traditional '30 coupe (1996-97) before I stumbled across the HAMB......I found out we were not alone :).

Baumi, bchctybob, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

Anything quick and fast in a straight line. When I read HRM, I didn't look at the pics, but just the write ups on the power. Sure, I liked hotrods, but the 1/4 mile fascinated me and still does.

loudbang, raven, bchctybob and 3 others like this.