Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage State of the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KevKo, Jan 22, 2019.

1. dan31

dan31

Gas isn't the problem,gas is a by-product of refining oil. 33and a 3rd knows whats up.

2. My 9 year old likes my old cars.
    The 62 econoline is his, he says,
    He already wants a couch and some courtains in it.
    Hes been bugging me on when is his vans turn? After the coe?or after the vannete.

One of his videogames has this as an option to drive.
    IMG_20190106_133939.jpg

scott27 likes this.
  3. trollst

trollst

It is changing, but maybe not the way you might think. A friend died yesterday of very aggressive cancer two weeks after he was diagnosed, his cars, a vette and an elky, both went to his neice and nephew, cars they could not have afforded while he was alive. In life they had large monetary value, in death they became treasured items belonging to uncle glen and will be looked after as such. I suspect that will be the biggest change to our hobby.
    RIP Glen Gillis, car guy extrordinair.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look back to 1973 as a 28 year old with the "newest" year model wise vehicle at the 1973 NSRA street rod nationals. That newest vehicle was my 48 Chev pickup, yup that same one over there in the Avatar with far less modificatons. It was all of 25 years old but it was an "OLD" truck according to the locals around town. As in "why ya driving that old truck?" Not too well accepted by some at rod events at the time either. That year a 32 Ford was 41 years old. Most of them were owed by guys with a few extra spending bucks then. Right now a 78 Camaro or Chevelle is 41 years old and to a guy in his teens or 20's that is an "OLD" ride. I've had more than one guy tell me he is fixing up an old car or truck and then go on to say it is a mid 70's rig. As someone else said the hobby is still there but what guys and gals are working on may not be what we see as "cool" cars to fix up.

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

reading all this, I saw the other day the new Harley Davidson there building as we speak, its got an electric motor!:D it comes with an app for your cell phone that makes big motorcycle noises while your at the stop lite!:rolleyes: we cant worry about it, just take the neighbor kid or your grandson to a car show! I have been putting young kids in my car when im parked at a cruise nite if they are showing interest, one kid I put in the car about 10 or 12 years ago, is building rods and working on bonniville stuff now, and hes in his early 20s!:cool:

rod1 and oliver westlund like this.
  7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

We're all doomed, the polar ice caps are melting, the magnetic poles are shifting, THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!
    Well I for one don't give a crap, I'm going to have fun with my cars and so are my kids and they're in their 40's. My Grand Kids seem to like anything that goes fast and I have hope for them too!
    Let the naysayers say what they will I'm finally retired and I'm in it for the fun of it!
    KK

8. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Start them early and some will remember. My grandchildren love to ride in my A

DSC_0789.jpeg DSC_0771.jpeg

brianf31, Boneyard51, clunker and 4 others like this.
  9. Having 6 great nephews I'm not sure I'll be able to get one. Yes all their dads are kinda liken hot rods but 4 of them have dads that also want their boys to be football or some other sports hero. Kinda sad - the two oldest spend even the weekends playing in some kind of tournament outside of school sports.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

226.JPG

dirty old man, GuyW and FlyingRN like this.
  11. Brad333

Brad333

Plenty of young people involved, only 24 years old myself. My old man has been building hot rods since before I was born. Collecting bits for my own build now and have been for a few years, only reason I haven't started is because we have to finish his current car first!

My view is the idea of what's 'traditional' will change as the years go on. A lot of 60's and 70's cars are getting more popular because they are now 'older' and earlier stuff is just getting more expensive making it harder for the average person to get involved. Not to say you can't get involved with a small budget, you just need to be smarter about how you do it and have patience.

12. mountainman2

mountainman2

Heads up for you young guys.....start collecting all the junk flathead engines you can find. Get the cracked ones while they are still considered scrap. There will be a demand one day for a hollowed out flathead with an electric motor hidden inside. Put a pair of Bose SoundLink Revolve speakers in the lake pipes for that distinctive sound and you are set for traditional hotrodding in the no-gasoline future. Oh yeah, don't forget to record some good sounding engines of all makes so you have them for the "sound apps". That way you can swap out the flathead for a hemi like them old-timey hotrodders did back in the day. :rolleyes:

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

I'm positive the "Hobby" will always be here, has changed, will change, trends come and go in my 50+ years of being a Carnut. I understand/enjoy this is a traditional car site, look around, the younger generation I see that are Hot Rodders, for the most part tend to be "Tuners" that's their 57 Chevy and "RatRod" is a dirty word here, A lot of them are well built, just look like junk/poop IMO, I understand their thinking, paint, chrome, upholstery, wheels is what makes the cars so expensive to build, they're Carnuts having Fun, that's what our great Hobby is about. 50 years down the road will car show Old Farts be showing/cruising with their Tuners, RR's and 60's/70's cars will be their 32's, I think so, just my opinion. Us Baby Boomers are aging out and our generation drove the Hobby to it's present state, the business side, parts mfg., retailers, builders seems very strong and they will change adjust to market as they have in our time frame. My Opinions and $2 buys coffee at my breakfast joint.

clunker and Clay Belt like this.
  14. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

15. I never really get this.
    Why worry about what might happen, will the "hobby" survive?
    What happens, happens, things change. the world is full of unintended consequences.
    I'll be dead, what difference does it make?????
    JUST ENJOY WHAT YOU CAN!!!!

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yup, like it says on my profile page "just hold'n on for the ride".

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  17. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

I don’t know, didn’t the modern trad resurgence happen with a lot of young people.. if it happened once...

Some don’t givie tradition enough credit

Based on Ryan’s age he must have been pretty young when the hamb started..

Reading all the old stories about Dutch and Roth and the like by guys who knew I don’t see how it could die out but some people?

Just keep parts affordable and the people in power in check..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Boneyard51 and Clay Belt like this.
  18. mikebarone

mikebarone

What is the car in post 40? Wow.

19. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

20. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

well, according to dan stoner R@# Rod in it's original incarnation wasn't a slur that meant pile.. better?:)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What was the question?

22. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Alot of guys my age would rather sign lease papers for a new mustang with 425hp and a 6-speed than work on an old car themselves.

23. Joemama

Joemama

I'm doing my part.....:cool:

13613385_10206904286347488_3008274647950680447_o.jpg 13475141_10206786599725396_5981786411839197961_o.jpg

55pack, Boneyard51, clunker and 3 others like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you even Physics, bro?

25. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  26. GuyW, 55pack, WillyKJr and 6 others like this.
  27. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

my grandson will keep the hobby alive ! IMG_1833.JPG

brianf31, 55pack and Joemama like this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I went to the “Chili Bowel” in Tulsa a week or so ago and there were way more kids there than us old folks. I know it’s a litte off topic for the HAMB , but close! It’s still racing!

Bones

WillyKJr likes this.
  29. It’s all going to be ok man. The country. Cars. Us as a people. It will all work out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  30. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

What is your definition of ok? Vastly different my be misconstrued as ok.