Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New build for TROG

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky77, Jan 5, 2019.

1. cederholm

cederholm

Awesome build!!!

Lucky77 likes this.
  2. Nice build. It should be a nice performing car with the engine setback and stepped frame. A belly pan will be nice.

chryslerfan55 and Lucky77 like this.
  3. louisb

louisb

Veddy cool!

Lucky77 likes this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love how the Roadster sits and how the engine lays under the cowl …. just like the early Altered drag cars did too.
    Way cool.

Lucky77 likes this.
  5. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    from ct

Hand meets forehead.

Lucky77 and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Super Low slung. ! Dig it..

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. I was thinking the EXACT same thing! time to make it happen.

Lucky77 and Stogy like this.
  8. Lucky77

Lucky77

I made some more progress on the TROG racer. With help from some friends we decided to simply lower all the mounting points on the torque tube and axle for the wishbones. So it’s essentially the stock setup, just mounted below the axle. I still have to make the front mount, this is just a spacer.

Got my shocks and panhard bar all mocked up. The shocks are laid over a little more than I like, but I think they’ll still work. The goal is to have the chassis finished up early next week before I head to GNRS. Then get it painted and start assembly and have a neatly completed roller by the end of the month. That gives me one month to get it running and make the body look somewhat presentable for Autorama.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great things coming from the Land of Steel...you must have a plan for a fancy push bar to get you out of a bind should it occur...(I saw a real cool one recently on a Vintage Lakes Roadster)

With this being so low n' slinky it would seem a natural for harder dry surfaces as well...any plans for other venues other than TROG.

As others have said you fellas with the seemingly unlimited motivation are truly amazing and inspiring.

10. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thanks! I did the Hot Rod Hillclimb two years ago with my other roadster and that was fun. I wouldn’t mind doing that, the Dirt Drags, or the RPM Nationals. We’ll see if I make the cut for TROG first.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  12. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yeah a push bar wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m definitely getting stuck in a car this low.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Wondering ?? does homemade frame make it ok with TROG rules ? I 'm using old Buick rails and seems like I'm going backwards just to get the look!! Great build , see it at Detroit.

chryslerfan55, King ford and Stogy like this.
  14. Lucky77

Lucky77

I don’t know? The rules just say speed equipment has to be ‘53 and older. They had steel tubing back in the day and most if not all of it is going to be covered with bodywork. Besides it’s way heavier than the model A frame I’ve been racing the last four years so it’s really not much of an advantage.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. Lucky77

Lucky77

They’re powder coated Argento Silver. My buddy owns Defensecoat in Richmond VA. I was bored so I drove 1600 miles round trip to have him do the wheels.

16. Lucky77

Lucky77

Safety third...Added a roll bar last night. Also a hoop under the cowl to hang my steering from. I’d like to make the body removable. I still have some gusseting to do, but the chassis is nearing completion. That’s a good thing since I leave for the GNRS in the morning and lose nearly a week of working on this thing. So hopefully it’ll be a complete roller by the end of the month and I can work on getting it running and looking somewhat presentable before Autorama.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

But the rules also say tube frames only with approval, using a stock frame would seem to me more in the spirit of TROG. I have a 31 Durant frame on the table for my future build, buying steel off the rack is too easy.
    Also if you look back to early builders, they used angle iron for early racers as tubing was not as available on the farm.

jimgoetz likes this.
  18. Im diggin the hell outta this, keep it up bud.

Lucky77 likes this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I figure dropped radius rods is to keep floor pan area open with just the torque tube intruding in the middle..Baffle in end of torque tube to keep oil from going down tube..

Lucky77 and King ford like this.
  20. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

......I was wondering about the rear radius rods as well and when I saw the battery box where the radius rods WOULD HAVE BEEN I said aha maybe he's puting his ass that low on the other side!

Lucky77 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Just busting your balls Rob like you do to me. All good.

22. rpm56

rpm56

"Safety third", I love it! Mike Rowe is outstanding.

Lucky77 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

24. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

I like it Looking KOOL :cool: :cool:

chryslerfan55 and Lucky77 like this.
  25. Lucky77

Lucky77

I have an electric fan and an alternator on my roadster and I’ve raced it the last four years. The guys who make the decision know about the car, dig it, and haven’t told me I can’t race so I’m staying with it. And if it doesn’t work out there’s the Hot Rod Hillclimb, RPM Nationals, Dirt Drags, etc...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Lucky77

Lucky77

I’m sitting as low as possible. The wishbones would be about stomach level if they were in the stock position.

chryslerfan55 and King ford like this.
  27. Lucky77

Lucky77

Between work and GNRS I only had a few days to work on the car but I’m back on it now. A buddy narrowed the seats for me, there is no room in this thing. I’d like to build it as a single seater, but I’d like to sell it after the race and it’s a lot easier to sell a car that holds two people. I made some through chassis mounts for the hairpins. I decided the wishbones were too long, the mounts would’ve cut into the doors. I’ve been piecing together a polished front end for a future build and decided to try it out on this one. There’s so many problems with a torque tube, manual transmission car this low. There’s no room for pedals, the tie rod hits the radiator, etc. But it looks cool, I’ll figure out the functionality later.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this was at Pismo beach . You might be doing some ploughing if you find soft sand .
    But you are making great progress and having fun doing it. Cool build.
    934EB5A3-4756-49D2-B28F-4DAF4B731F95.jpeg

chryslerfan55, LSJUNIPER and Lucky77 like this.
  29. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thanks, yeah I was there as a spectator. Watching everyone trying to get from the parking lot to the beach was a show all it’s own. It was a mess!

30. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019