Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting ready to purchase a new Carburetor....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THutch, Jan 22, 2019.

1. THutch

THutch

Looking for some input from all you fine folks out here. My old daily beater with a heater is due for a new carburetor. I am looking for something simple, reliable and cost effective. The old truck has a mild built 305 with unknown miles. This past summer I freshened up the top end , new mild hydraulic cam, lifters, timing set, intake, headers , distributor, plugs, wires etc.. I’ve looked at a few different carbs Holley, demon, edelbrock and tmp carbs out of California. I know I don’t need anything bigger than a 600 cfm . But I have seen that Holley has some pretty reasonable factory refurbished ones on eBay . I’m looking for some real world reviews on the the carbs I’ve listed above. The old truck isn’t a racer by any means but mostly I’m just looking for a reliable daily driver quality carb. Wow a long winded way of saying dependable and cheap haha .... Thanks in advance .....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What manifold do you have?
    I don't do Edlebrocks so a Holley 1850 would be my choice..................................

3. Watch the "rebuilt" Holleys on eBay, they are junk. I got suckered into buying one. I had it so long without looking at it and wasn't able to get a refund, so keep that in mind.

Ford52PU, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I’m with @brigrat on that. While I have an edelbrock knockoff of the AFB on the shelf the Holley 1850 600 CFM has been a reliable, go to piece for years for me.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang, Deuces and THutch like this.

5. THutch

THutch

Edelbrock air gap intake. I agree the old 1850 is a good carburetor. Thanks!

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  6. THutch

THutch

Thanks for the info!

loudbang likes this.
  7. THutch

THutch

Thanks Cliff!

8. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have nothing but bad luck with edelbrocks, now have a summit/holly.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Edelbrock 1406, electric choke, $345, Summit Racing part # EDL-1406, Go to Summit site for specs/reviews. I have used 3 of these out of box on 3 different 350 chevys, 0 problems, ran great, highly recommend.

Hombre, Hotrodmyk, jim snow and 6 others like this.
  10. carbking

carbking

With that manifold, I would suggest a Carter 9500s, or if you need EGR, then a 9510s.

Jon.

11. belair

belair

Like the looks of that pick up,

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  12. Fordors

Fordors

Can you provide more info? They are junk is pretty wide ranging. Was something broken, poor assembly with no QC, tuning issues, or?

Lowdown Scoundrel and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. flatford39

flatford39

Holley 1850. 600CFM. Very reliable and you can rebuild them yourself. Do you have a 1850 on it now??? If so why not just rebuild it??

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. I've had a lot of Holley's in the past but I had a bad experiences with with a Holley loading up and caught fire, I almost lost the car after that I switched to Edelbrock carburetors, They are on all 3 of my old cars.

If your one of those guys that like to fool with the carburetors the Holley is probably what you want, if you want reliability and don't want to adjust and tune the Edelbrock just might be what you want. HRP

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Hombre, 1stGrumpy, figure8 and 7 others like this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

The Summit brand carbs that they bought from Holley work great on street applications.
    Quick Fuel makes a real nice carb for what you are trying to do. Works better than an 1850.

THutch and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Last year I replaced the Q-jet on my convertible with an Edelbrock carb and love it. I would recommend one to everyone, no problems with it at all, just do all the final adjustments and leave it alone.

Hombre, THutch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have had good experiences with the Edelbrock 1406 on Sbc's. Good out of the box and easy to tune.

Hombre, figure8, THutch and 1 other person like this.
  18. THutch

THutch

Thanks! It’s fun to pound around in with my son . We drive it everywhere !

19. THutch

THutch

It currently has a Quadra jet on it . I’ve had multiple Holley and carter afb/edelbrock carbs on other vehicles. I’m just curious what everyone else has had good luck with.

20. THutch

THutch

I’ve put the quick fuels on a few of my customers rides and have great luck with them. I’ve never messed with the summit brand I will check them out. Thanks!

Charlie51 and jimmy six like this.
  21. THutch

THutch

Thank you sir!

22. THutch

THutch

I’m curious what was junk ? Was beat up or way out of tune? They are very affordable that’s what had drawn me to them. Did you buy one directly from Holley or was it another company?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit, no leaks, be happy.

THutch likes this.
  24. The Summit carbs are a updated version of the '60s/70s Ford Autolite carbs. They come with annular discharge boosters (extra cost on the Holleys) as standard, dual feed fuel inlets, center-pivot floats, and standard Holley jets/float valves to make rebuilds/tuning easier if needed. One-piece main body for no leaks. I've heard nothing but good things about these and I'm planning on getting one to replace the Edeljunk I currently have.

The Edelbrocks seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em deal, count me in the latter category. Mine works OK when adjusted right, but won't stay adjusted; I've found I have to fiddle with it once or twice a year or it'll start loading up.

The Quadrajet you currently have is a pretty good carb when working right, but there seems to be a fairly high level of expertise needed to get one there. You'll need either a carb adaptor or a new intake if switching to a square-bore carb.

25. Eldbrock.My 55 has had the same one 23 years without me having to do anything.

26. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

They can all be made to work, and they can all be frustrating as hell when they dont. Buy the quadrajet book by Cliff Ruggles and a good carb kit from Carb King. Good Luck

27. THutch

THutch

Thanks for the info . I actually put a adapter on the intake to make the old Quadra jet work. It starts decent even on chilly mornings but the choke is non functional and it appears somewhere someone already had there hands it .

28. I bought a real-deal Holley 700 at a local speed shop, they matched the Summit $$ though. Still hit me for taxes. If I had to get one right now, I'd look at the Summit ones.

THutch likes this.
  29. This was the seller. It was beat up and looked like a mis-match of parts, something silver-soldered on the throttle shaft and other things I can't recall. I have pictures of it at home.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-0-8...632054&hash=item418af91a00:g:SpUAAOSwU-pXvK-h

30. liljoe

liljoe
    from detroit

I have been using BG street demons lately with zero issues

THutch likes this.