Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rustoleum vs Krylon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Terrible80

Terrible80

Painted this with Roth rattle can mini flake and 2k clear. Held up since 2000. FB_IMG_1493674486966.jpeg

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Really, any of the spray can paint should not be expected to last like a real paint job. Just look at how thin the paint is coming out of the nozzle.

zzford and irishsteve like this.
  3. Believe it or not the 99 cent paint at Home Depot works as good as anything for small parts.

But, it only comes in black, satin, gloss and white I think. Dries fast too.

4. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

There have been some strong reviews of Valspar brand paint. Not too common but I have seen it at the farm & barns stores. As a lay person, it is difficult to know the diff.
    As to those $2 cans out there, seriously?

Hnstray likes this.
  5. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Dupli-color or Krylon, but I've started using KBS satin black and their top coat, but that has it's disadvantages, it doesn't like cold weather and takes quite a while to dry, but very durable.
    Tricks to painting with spray cans, its all in the prep, take things down to bare metal, prime and paint, oven cleaner works well for a paint remover, spray can paint is mixed a bit different than quart paint, its thinner so that it sprays, the trick being is to coat what your painting several times and you can get decent coverage.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man, what a bunch of rattle can junkies!

Have you seen my extensive marble collection?:)

Valspar makes Plastikote

classiccarjack and swade41 like this.
  7. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I like Rustoleum satin black for frames, diff housings, chassis parts, etc... The downside to Rustoleum is the drying time which is days, not hours. For engine paint and detail parts I've had good success with Duplicolor products including their self etching primer and specialty products. The matte aluminum and cast blast finishes have held up very well on older project cars I've done.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Regarding 'drying time' as reason to avoid an otherwise good or excellent product, it seems to me that it might depend on circumstances.

For instance, if what one is doing was unexpected work and time is of the essence, okay, go with a speedy dry and hope for the best.

On the other hand, if we are doing a planned project, it seems time management and better planning might include painting parts in advance of immediate use. It's not like we just discovered we are missing a screw or bolt.

Hutkikz likes this.
  9. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. superlo

superlo
    from huron,ohio

Krylon did change their satin black...it looks terrible, way too glossy

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a case of OG formula Krylon satin black from a "scratch n dent" chain store, Ollies I think. It's been the go-to for decades. I did have a chance to use newer stuff and was let down for the drying time more than anything. I used the original formula on my race car roll bar back in the 90s. All I did was scuff it with a red pad wet with wax n grease remover, wiped it down and went for it. My friend texted me a pic of it 3 years ago. Looked like last week. Some things aren't worth thinking too deeply about. Rustoleum? Good for fences, so there's that. I "stain" aluminum crank cases with silver rustoleum from a can. Use it like wood stain, reduced a bunch and rubbed on with a rag. Seems we all have a bag of tricks for this shit, yes?

rod1 and Hnstray like this.
  12. PugetDude

PugetDude

1. VHT
    2. ACE
    3. KRYLON
    4. SEM
    99. RUSTOLEUM

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Well...
    Hammerite industrial paint..
    Glass fibers and some kind of etch in it so it really sticks..
    Most of us remember hammerrite paint from their crackle finish products.
    I had a pipeline welder buying cases of gallons when he was building fence rails and such stuff from old drill rod on the farm..
    I questioned him about why he was using a crackle finish and he set me straight real quick..
    ( I had just been ordering it by the part # )
    Smooth finish !
    Here is the best part....
    Limited selection of colors , black , white , red etc..
    Seems that whatever the formula is is just about the same as POR 15..
    As in..just knock the loose scale off with a wire brush wipe it down and shoot..
    Been using it now for almost 30 years...
    Awesome product..
    My small parts go to spray.
    IMO.. at least as durable as powder coat and the etch really makes it stick.
    Painted project chassis many times...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

If I am too lazy to drag out my air hose, compressor, gun, and mixing tubs...

I use VHT, dealership paints, and Plastikote paint. Great products, but not cheap. The other brands don't shine up as good, and fade fast in sunlight. The last brake set up I painted with Plastikote, the guy thought that I painted it with my gun! LOL! 8 years later, it still looks just as good.

**Note: I lay a light coat with the Plastikote, then go back over it with a heavy coat. It still looks a tad wet when it drys. Great results. The flat colors and semi-gloss colors eventually dull out like they should after curing. I can't do this with the other brands, or they tend to get runs in the paint job. Not happy with that...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. VHT epoxy black.

16. Cleveland Coupe

Cleveland Coupe

I had good results with Rustoleum Professional years ago. I do not know how it is now. I have had great success with SEM products on recent car projects. I would recommend anything they make.
    Thanks, Jay

17. zzford

zzford

Finger paint

18. Mike

Mike

BradinNC, Ford52PU and catdad49 like this.
  19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i dont know about rattle can for big stuff that needs to be finished but for tiny stuff the best results i had was from the brake caliper paint they sell at O'Reillys, (probably elsewhere too) its like 13 a can but lays down well and is durable since its intended for brake calipers. for frames and flat applications, zero rust is awesome! 15-16 per can but holds up amazing AND you can paint anything over it without major issues

20. Nice collection of cars you got there!

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Everyone has their own brand of spray paint in a can they like. Sometimes, for any project, it is the cost and what is available. One store should do the choice, so Rustoleum vs. Krylon is a good comparison test that has been done many times. They are the most popular brands stocked in most stores. Rustoleum brand used to be only for outdoor metals, (Rust prevention, etc.) But over the years, it has melded into the “household stuff” market for spraying just about anything.
    upload_2019-1-25_5-34-23.png The testing results come from over the years with both brands, painting all kinds of surfaces. there were various car parts, brackets, model cars, custom bicycle frames, outdoor furniture, metal tables, and photo frames. (metal and wood)

Rustoleum: It is mostly sprayed on many things used outdoors. It lasts longer than Krylon and two even coats will last longer than many coats of Krylon. It just seems to be a thicker spray. Scratches are not a common thing, but water marks do happen. If sealed with clear, it lasts longer outside and inside.

Krylon: This is mostly used for home projects. It has more colors available and are good choices for model cars. Outdoors makes the painted surfaces crack after a couple of weeks. We use it mostly for indoor projects. For model cars, it works well. For metal/wood furniture, wagons, bikes, scooters, etc. It works ok, but scratches easily and starts cracking when exposed to outdoor environments.

Jnaki

So far, these are the only two used in a consistent manner. Duplicolor has a few colors that can be used for metals (disc brake housings, etc.) that get warm or hot. But, that is a small market compared to everyday household project uses.

upload_2019-1-25_5-49-19.png

22. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

I've put a variety of spray paints to the test at the Bonneville Salt Flats. The only ones that hold up AT ALL are Rustoleum brush-on paint, and the spray cans of "tractor paint" from Tractor Supply Company (cheaper than Rustoleum) made by Yenkin-Majestic in Ohio. Both are slow drying, which is the key to not having pin holes in the finish which will rust over time,. Ace, Krylon, and especially Duplicolor and other quick drying engine paints failed very rapidly.

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

flex seal! you get amazing results, it dries fast, looks great and when youre done your car is waterproof like a submarine and you can drive it across lakes and rivers! dont believe me? try it!

24. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Duplicolor and Rustoleum.

I used to swear by Krylon. Now, I swear at it.

25. Used to be a Rustoleum fan but they must have changed something because the nozzles clog easily anymore. Switched to Krylon no clogging problems and it sprays more evenly plus faster drying.

26. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Rustoleum works well but since they came out with those clogmaster nozzles I can never get to the end of the can before the nozzle or even the can itself clogs up. I know you're supposed to spray upside down when you are done but that doesn't always work. These new type nozzle holes are too small to fit a pin in to clean.