Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing Tie Rod End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Jan 22, 2019.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

What is the best way to remove a tie rod end on a new install without cutting up the rubber boot? I need to bend my steering arms to run my tie rod over the bones. I just installed a month ago and keep looking at it, hanging too low. I have pickle forks, but this would cut up the boot. loosen the nut and air hammer it from that end?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use a big hammer by sticking the steering arm on the side of the taper hole. If that makes sense.

sunbeam and Hollywood-East like this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

It doesn't always work, but I have had good luck removing the nut, turning it over and screwing it on so the flat (not the castellated end) is even with the end of the stud to protect the threads. While supporting the steering arm, a couple firm licks with a hammer generally get them loose.

Also, with the nut loosened, a couple wacks on the side of the arm's tapered end while holding a heavy hammer against the other side will sometimes "wake" up the joint. That might be what saltflats was saying?

Lynn

alanp561, dan c, Rich S. and 2 others like this.
  4. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take off the nut and turn it upside down and screw it on till its flush and try with a hammer but this doesn't always work. Sometimes your stuck with a new tie rod end. Phil

pprather and trollst like this.

5. They make pullers for this, I’m not a fan of hitting cast iron with a hammer. Hitting the end is a good way to ensure you ruin threads even with the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Black_Sheep and 54vicky like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You're correct about the pickle fork ruining the boot. I've always had good luck using 2 hammers hold a BIG one against one side of the arm and strike the other side sharply with about a 1# hammer.

g

7. chargin03

chargin03

Harbor Freight item 99849 sold as ball joint tool but works for tie rods also.

Rich S. and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I have a pickle fork for my air hammer and I don't know why but it only takes about 3 seconds and for some reason usually doesn't tear up the rubber.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure you can buy a new rubber at the parts store.

But, I have done as mentioned above: Place a maul on one side of the eye of the arm, then whack the other side of the eye with a big hammer. It did make the rod end pop out. Granted, these were not decades-old rusty rod ends.

vtx1800, Boneyard51 and squirrel like this.
  10. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

New ends are cheap, almost worth snagging 2 before I start.
    Anyone know the part number for Ford 5/8 thread ends?

11. Fordors

Fordors

I removed ball joints on my 160,000 mile Tahoe DD by using two relatively heavy ball pein hammers. Loosen the tie rod end nut so it will still support the end and strike the sides on the spindle eye smartly with the hammers, the stud will pop loose. I’ve used this for years, always worked for me.
    Obviously, if you have paint it may be damaged, and if chrome then maybe use brass hammers.

vtx1800 and squirrel like this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hnstray likes this.
  13. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Ball joint puller works very well with a chunk of aluminum stock between the tie rod end and the puller bolt. Doesn't damage a thing.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I learned the two-hammer method when I worked at the junkyard as a kid, it still works fine.

15. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

replacement boots as suggested above, dont last more than a couple months before rotting and disintegrating.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am going to try this, but I ordered a puller off Amazon also.
    So just smack the sides of the steering arm, like you are trying to peen the sides in on the taper? I don't know if I am coordinated enough to do that. :)

17. oldolds

oldolds

Hit the side of the steering arm like you are trying to close the hole up. It sometimes helps if you can put a little pressure on the rod end.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Modify as necessary to fit your specific tie rod end and steering arm. I don't ever use a pickle fork anymore, even when I don't care about destroying the boot.

81ADa3e+vUL._SL1500_.jpg

19. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard

Long ago I was taught the two hammer method but a little different than described earlier.
    I use two ballpeens one larger than the other. I strike the joint with both hammers at the same time. Don't kill it, just a firm smack, over and over until it lets lose.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. nugget32

nugget32

Buy good quality replacement boots

Sent from my Chromebook 11 Model 3180 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Terrible80

Terrible80

A little tension on the tierod and strike the side of the tapered eye with a hammer, don't need brute force, the vibration on the taper shakes it loose.

a little tension on the

da34guy and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You don't swing both hammers at the same time, You use one hammer on the back side of the tapered end like a dolly when doing body work and sharply hit the opposite side with the other hammer.
    Don't do this with only one hammer...the second one absorbs or reflects the energy and focuses it just around the taper.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    F&J, squirrel and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A long time ago I bought a “ pitman arm “ puller off the Mac truck. I’ve used it on tie rod ends with success. It’s a very heavy duty puller with two tie bolts through it to keep the puller arms from from slipping off. Has never failed me. Would go out in the shop and take a pic, but it’s cold and rainy here today!

Bones

F&J likes this.
  24. This is what I did when I was doing front ends for a living. Pull down on the tie rod, give it a whack and 99% of the time it came loose. Keep the nut a few threads on the tie rod for safety. I still have the #3 BFH I've used for years.

VANDENPLAS and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Let me add a little to that method that will almost guarantee success with one strike. You need to support the arm holding the tie rod with a jack stand or something very solid, as close to the tie rod end as possible. Jack the car up and let it down on the arm so that it is solid, not all the weight of the car but some. Then hit sharply with a hammer no less the four pounds. Hammers come in sizes, just like wrenches, for a reason. Just my .02.
    Didn’t mean to hijack your post ,Bob.

Bones

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  26. Rich S.

Rich S.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Classic.... The first reply was all that was needed...BFH one blow, Like it's an X ol' lady... it'll be three page's by the weekend

RMR&C and saltflats like this.
  28. Rich S.

Rich S.

Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

216C5EE3-4388-4F6F-9033-16965A81FC2B.jpeg Easy and no damaged parts

57 Fargo likes this.