Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Eliminate OD on AV8 or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Warren, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

Replacing 3 speed transmission on my AV8 owing to complete destruction. Currently have a mid tube R10 which we rarely use. I have another Diff and stock tube that could go between Diff and new trans. As I type this I'm thinking, Don't be an idiot and remove the R10. Part of me, though, is just seeking a simpler life with fewer potential problems, given that we only drive the car around town at or below 45MPH. Still if I remove it, this will effect the car's value, too.

Any thoughts? (Like I have to ask.)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I’d keep the OD if it were mine especially since you already have it set up that way.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Need to see the "mid tube" R10 … is it not part of the trans ?

4. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

I woke up this morning thinking the same thing. Are you running a 3 speed on 4 banger?
    Nope. It's mid tube, the way they used to splice these things in. Looks like a Mitchell Model A, except far more muscular and uses R10 solenoid.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Joe

I have an 8cm v8 running through a ‘39 3 speed transmission with a Mitchell OD unit. Would really miss the overdrive on the highway and even many backroads as it really ups cruising speed given I have a 4:11 rear.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

You know, I've got a 4:11 sitting in the shop that I was thinking about changing to if I kept the OD. What's really interesting is that I've got a line on a '39 trans to replace the 33. As I understand it, all I have to do is to accommodate the higher tower and use the '39 shifter. To your knowledge, is that about right?

7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Joe,

Oh boy--here's testing my memory as I did this 10 years ago and limited knowledge. Others out there in HAMB land will know more. A '39 transmission has the benefit of larger shift fork to accommodate a better synchronizer unit and the shifter has two detentes (spring loaded balls) to help keep it in the gear selected. Outwardly the '39 transmission is pretty much the same size as the 33 though there are some differences I believe with the introduction of the "78" case introduced in 1937. If I remember correctly the shift tower on the '33 case angles back a bit while the '39 shift tower is pretty much straight up. Aside from the shifter differences, different synchronizer and double detent design, there are gear differences as well but I am way out of my depth here on this. Sometime in the early '30s Ford went from straight cut to helical gears but for better information you will want to check with the Van Pelt sales website.

Edited: I never had a '33 shifter next to a '39 so can't comment on the practical height differences but bet someone else can.

8. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

OK. I know all about trying to go back to a time (best) forgotten. I ran over the Van Pelt (in a Virtual sprint) and there are no differences, except that the '39 is far more durable, apparently, with greater syncs and helical cut gears for all/some. In any event, a superior trans. If I'm able to pickup this 39 I'm going to do it, and leave the R10 in place.

Finding, then securing the 39 at a reasonable price is the key. Otherwise I may as well "Butch" it up with a T5 and appurtenant stuff from Cornhuskers, and do the driveline.

Thanks an awful lot for your input.

9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Joe,

Thank you for your kind words and would love to se some photos.

Pete

10. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

Pete: Thank you. I've uploaded a file of my AV8. I work hard to keep her stock looking for the shock value, especially when I fire her up and the twin glass packs roar, as only a flatty can. That usually stimulates discussion at car shows, given they're expecting the Banger putt-putt. Fun stuff, Ain't it?
    Joe

Attached Files:

AVater, hfh and Texas Webb like this.
  11. Sharp A.
    There is also the T-170 rts trans from the 84-87 Ford 150,4spd-4th being o/d.

AVater likes this.
  12. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

A few days ago was when I first heard of the T170. Mostly just T5 this and T5 that. Out in Arizona we have an abundance of old F150s. I'm going to check around. Thanks for the kind remark on my A and for the added input on the trans issue.

13. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I put a 700R4 behind my flattie.....

14. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

I do understand the convenience, but I've enjoyed shifting as part of driving. Even as a kid in the '60s I'd shift through the auto push button on my Dad's Rambler. That's how I blew it up, as a matter of act. Of course, I'm probably the only guy on the HAMB who destroyed the family car...

tubman likes this.
  15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Texas Webb makes a good point and there was one on the HAMB classifieds all set up to go behind a flathead.

As an aside, I am working on putting a T170 RTS 3+1 behind a Y block destined for a '35 pickup I may actually finish this century.

16. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

T170 is a good idea, after having researched it, as an alternative to the T5 conversion (or similar). The trans on HAMB was a decent price, but sold now and I can't imagine the shipping from PA to AZ. So, I've settled on the 39 and keeping the R10. Maybe, after a little more input and suggestions, next year or sooner if the R10 craps out, I'll do a more sophisticated conversion. Thanks.

17. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

One more thing: We had a 64 pickup with a 292 Y and I thought that was just the cat's pajamas. Really moved out. Maybe I'll do another one of those in the future.

Good luck with it.