Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The passing of, Elton“Sonny”hunt “ The rod father “

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1lowbuckrodder, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

It’s a sad day here in northeastern Ohio with the passing of Elton Sonny hunt, also crowned at the Brimfield Nats as the Rod father. He was well known in the Kent and Akron area, and beyond, if you’ve never met this man, you missed a great opportunity to hang out with one of the best, he was a book of knowledge on early ford‘s, traditional hot rods, flat heads, banjos, zephyr gears, overdrives, Strombergs. I’m proud to say I’ve known Sunny for over 40 years, I’m sure there’s many other that I have known him longer than I. he started dragracing back in the 50s At the Akron municipal airport with his 38 Chevy Coupe that he flat towed, and to various other drag strips in the Buckeye State, still has the car today, his son took him around to cruise-ins and car shows in the 38 as well as many other of his hot rods. He was also featured in the magazine Rodders journal issue 32, featuring is 32 ford , That’s all I’m gonna say for now, ask around, of other hamb members that knew him, they can add a lot more to his story. Gone but not forgotten, January 20, 2019

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I'm so sad to hear this.
    Sonny was a legend and a great guy.
    Our prayers and condolences go out to Todd and the rest of the family ☹
    God Speed Sonny

3. elba

elba

Wow, that hurts me . The first time I met him was in 1961 at my Father's Shell station in Kent ,Ohio . He lived just down the road in Brimfield . He attended EVERY Street Rod Nationals . Where do I start . When I first met him he had a 38 Chevy coupe and dr 38 Chevy 2 Dr sedan. The sedan was his race car with a small block and 4 speed . He made on of the first 38 Chevy sedan street rods which he drve to the first Street Rod Nationals . His coupe had a small block and 4 speed which he took me down the strip with him at Quaker City Dragstrip . He bought and sold lots of Chevy's and once told me that his list was over a hundred . But his favorites were 38 Chevys and 32 fords . He had just about one of each produced by Ford and Chevy . He had several very nice 38 Chevy Roadsters and he had a bunch of nice 32 Fords .
    I have a bunch of older pictures of him and his cars which I will post at a later date .
    We lost a great man and a true friend .

4. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

Sonny was a good man and a big inspiration to many. Ive known him ever since I can remember. He was just a cool guy to be around, truly one of a kind. He will be deeply missed but never forgotten. My deepest sympathy goes out to Todd and the family.

5. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

R.i.p. Sonny our condolences to his family and friends.

6. mikew

mikew

Sonny was such a great guy. He always took the time to ask "Whatcha working on now?" and was genuinely interested in his fellow hot rodders. He was our link to the early days of local hot rodding and I appreciated every conversation that I had with him.

Rest in peace Sonny....

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

"Hunt"
    At least have the respect to capitalize his name !

Mike

54vicky likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his Family & friends - any pics to share?

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Hunt family and friends on the passing of Sonny...

Regards,
    Stogy

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rest In Peace.

11. elba

elba

I will have quite a few pictures about a month from now . I am buying one of those Kodak machines that takes 2x2 slides and puts them on an SD card . Check back !

12. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

C34E9CA8-E663-4471-AF1E-0A3C7E7B6A36.jpeg Not the best picture, Sonny is Sitting in one of his 32’s and that’s his son tod in the back round, taken 2015 rodrun,

13. This is really a sad day, what an amazing hotrodder with so much knowledge. He will surely be missed. Safe hotrodding up in heaven Sonny, condolences to Todd and all of Sonny's family

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mikew likes this.