Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Really sad !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Castle, Jan 14, 2019.

1. I don't do pay pal. and sometimes sell stuff to HAMB Members. And so far every transaction had been with a Postal Money order. And I prompty shipped the parts. One guy Named Randy Watts wanted the front hubs and bearings for a 53 ford car. So I contacted him. And My Name is Randall Watts. So he messaged me back with the bearing numbers he needed. I looked and mine where different number's and gave him the numbers from my parts. And the PH rang. He was from Oregon and thought since we had the same name I was a scammer. He told me yes you bearings are the ones I need. I was testing you. So he bought the parts.

2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I prefer US Postal Service Money Orders to buy & sell. The PO cashes when U present it - no waiting to clear. I always tell the scammers to have their "agent" bring cash when they pick "your item" up - they leave quickly. They are every where. Bet it doesn't take more than 24 hours to get the "Still for sale" text no matter where u post an ad & they re always happy with the price & condition as long as you assure them as it's true.

An example of the latest from this guy - Douglas Willie <[email protected] - never mentions the item description - could be hot rod or a used mattress!

"I have read through your advert and from what I have seen,it is priced favorably compared to others so I want you to consider it sold to me ''AS IS'' for the asking price but you have to assure me it is as described. I am comfortable paying you via PayPal to complete this transaction because of their security when it comes to online transactions. Let me have your PayPal email and the your full name so that I can initiate the payment.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction,If you don't have a PayPal account kindly set one up because it is absolutely free. (www.paypal.com) Furthermore, I will hire freight agent that will come for the pickup, and also do the necessary paperwork on my behalf as soon as we are done with the payment part of the transaction.I'll like to see more recent pictures if you still have. If you don't , then lets proceed.I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible,So kindly get back to me with the info below so I can work everything out!
    Home Address and time you'll be around because i will contact the agent now :
    Full Name:
    PayPal Email:
    Firm Price:
    Phone#:
    Thanks."

warhorseracing likes this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anyone who buys things online and has an "agent" is a scammer.

there is no better way (other than CASH) to receive payment than by a postal money order. you cash it at the post office when you ship. if it is bad they will tell you right there. back in my ebay days I was friendly with all the clerks at the post office, they knew I was shipping ebay items all the time and told me of a woman who had just come in with a $900.00 item with a fake or stolen Postal Money Order.

as far as I know if it gets past the clerk then you are off the hook....

Old wolf likes this.
  4. I tried buying a part off a long time member here, I wanted one measurement before I sent the money, he proceeded to sell it to his friend that had no interest until he pulled it off the shelf to measure it. I feel like I got screwed out of the part, so it's not always new members you have to watch out for.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  5. One thing to remember here, he probably does not even know you except for your posts here. His friend may be and probably a lot closer than you and he may even owe the friend a favor that he is re-paying. I have a close friend that we share parts between the both of us with no exchange of cash if it is for personnel use. You are not out any money are you? Maybe a lost part that you have been searching for for a long time to complete a section of your project. I have had that happen to me and never felt screwed but took it with a grain of salt and chalked it up to life.

upspirate and XXL__ like this.
  6. Why bother posting it for sale then ? I trade back and forth with my buddies too, but I don't list the parts for sale at the same time, usually it's them first THEN gets posted publicly for sale. Why string a guy along through a few messages to just sell it to someone else, not the way to do things.

7. XXL__

XXL__

You were still in the question-asking phase. I get that you needed some measurements to make your decision, but the other guy was apparently ready to buy. That's how things go sometimes.

1stGrumpy and upspirate like this.
  8. junkman73

junkman73

I like cash in person either buying or selling.Silver or gold bullion works with me also.

9. You weren't there, how the hell do you know what's going on ? Let me hold your hand here, I ask 3 questions that the answers to were not given in the limited info provided in the ad. When I would get a reply it was for one of the 3 questions, not all the answers I wanted. Maybe you just send money hoping something works without asking questions, I don't. I also don't care how you try and twist it or defend the seller, I was ready to buy, all I needed was an answer of how tall it was. When he finally pulled it out to measure it, he sold it to someone else, I got screwed out of something I definitely could have used, period. When you're part of what's going on then maybe I'll listen to your input, if not don't try and speculate on what went down. Good grief

10. XXL__

XXL__

Because you told us.

I never even remotely suggested that you make an uninformed purchase. I simply indicated that someone else was ready to buy before you were. That happens, and a seller typically doesn't care WHO buys something, only that it gets bought. First come, first served. It is a universal construct that just about everone on this board has agreed with at one time or another in the various 'for sale discussion' threads ever posted here.

Also, you seem really pissy in every post you make here. So... welcome to my ignore list.

brEad and trollst like this.
  11. I sell to the first person who pays for it. I posted a item here in the classifieds.( A Stromberg carb) and got a quick response. and then several others. The first guy stated he would buy it. and mail the money order on a certain day. Well payment never came. So I messaged him. He stated he gave the money to buy the money order to his girlfriend and she didn't buy it. but the money order had now been sent. I told him well you should have told me. Im going to sell it to the next guy. So He was upset & I told him when you payment arrives I will not even open the envelope. I will just mail it back to you. The next guy promptly sent payment and I quickly shipped. and the first guys payment never did arrive. The old saying applies Money talks everything else walks.-
    31Rodder said:
    Carb arrived safely today.
    Thanks again,
    Todd
    --

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    upspirate, XXL__ and 49ratfink like this.
  12. Some of us are old Jaded Curmudgeons. and just don't cater to picky folks. we have heard it all and seen more than we wanted. I tell folks I don't put up with picky from my wife and she gives me sex!

saltflats and trollst like this.
  13. jazz1

jazz1

I don't ship anything until paid and only accept e-transfer. First cash in hand takes it. This is 21st century so no need for money orders or checks. E-transfer safest and payment is right now.

14. Currently I am working a deal with another member on here and I can't get there to pick them up or pay for them for almost 3 weeks. I told the seller that if they went before I can get there to let me know. I wouldn't hold it against them for taking "cash in the hand".

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really like PayPal, it seams a lot of people talk about Postal Money Orders but can't find their way the post office. Bob

16. Dependent on what I'm selling or looking for, I post stuff on Ford Barn. If it's hot rod related I'll post it here and if it's stock stuff I'll post it on the Barn, sometimes I do both. I don't post much other than in the classified section because I'm not that well versed on stock Model A's or T's. If it's a stock part, I find more buyer's there. B.t.w., I have never had a problem buying or selling on either.

17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently, the other guy was more ready than were you. I understand that you had some questions and wanted answers but the other guy had his money out.

I remember being at a swap meet somewhere and saw some other person handling a 2-four barrel manifold for a small block Chevrolet. This other guy was arguing with the seller about how it was not worth what he wanted for it and he set it back down after the vendor declined his low ball offer.

Then ol' fast Larry picked it up and told the vendor "I'll take it". The other guy turned back around and was madder than a pissed on dog. Apparently, he was not in the mood to hear my snooze/lose analogy either.

That's how it works.

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I hate a worthless person that steals . I could end up in jail , because people steal , if I catch someone in the act my , stuff or yours . It seems to bring out the worst in my being

SHEP SHEPPERD and brEad like this.
  19. I just joined Saturday.. would it be pointless to advertise some vintage engine parts on here, then ?

20. Ohh, I understand completely XXL.. I have a hobby business & deal with thievin' jackasses more than I want or need to..

21. just noticed your 1:64 flash drives... now, those are just badass...

22. I don't believe he was more ready than me, I was ready to buy at full price from the first time I seen the add. All I needed was to know how long the shifter was, I don't want a short shifter that I have to bend over to shift in my truck. The other guy didn't know it was for sale until he pulled it off the shelf to measure it, I had a week tied up into texting the seller trying to buy it.
    I'm a guy that believes in first come first served, if I'm dealing with a buyer I'm not going to sell it to someone else out of turn until I know the first person is not interested any longer.

scott27 likes this.
  23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Shep ,you need to put more than a name on your avatar.

SHEP SHEPPERD likes this.
  24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Shep, do some reading put a location in your avatar, also do some work on your profile.

SHEP SHEPPERD and brEad like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Do you accept money grams from Wal-Mart and did the parts used to belong to a preacher you know.

26. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

What's more sad is a lot of hamb members fall for it. If it's too good to be true it is and you could always do a Google reverse image search on their pics. I was offered a 32 3 window original car this week for 5,000 too bad I passed it up LOL

27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Sorry, one pecker picture is one two many for me.

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

How about a proper introduction and where you live might help. At least give a State. People that live near you and can look at the parts won't have a problem dealing with you.

SHEP SHEPPERD likes this.
  29. The scammers troll the wanted ads. They do not troll the HAMB and never read signature lines.

1stGrumpy, The37Kid and 1946caddy like this.