Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best value propane heater?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by sevenhills1952, Jan 21, 2019.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I have a large garage that's in sections. One end is heavily insulated and has a large Lennox propane furnace. Rather than letting it run constantly I have it fixed so I keep thermostat on 45...then when I want to work I set it to 65, in a few minutes all is well.
    The bathroom section other side of garage is walled off, insulated, I have a propane wall heater again keep it at 45.
    Other side of this wall is main garage...insulated somewhat (ceilings and some walls) which is the problem. Wash sink, plumbing is there. Today pipes are frozen.
    I'm thinking a ceiling propane heater would be good, propane lines are there already, but looking for best for the money. Just enough to keep above freezing.
    I don't want to spend a lot for heater and/or use a lot of propane when I'm not there.
    Any ideas appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I have an office/shop in my backyard that doesn't have heating. It is an insulated accessory building, fully lined and finished inside. I use it for my office as well as hand tool work I do, so no machines. The room is 10'x20', so it's about half the size of a garage. I use this Mr. Heater style propane heater and most of the time only use one burner rather than two. I use this in my garage occasionally when it's really cold in the winter. I use a 20 gallon propane bottle that I exchange, they sell them at Home Depot, the gas stations as well as other places near me (Blue Rhino). A $20 propane tank will last typically 2-3 years, however this year is very cold and I've gone through an entire bottle this year and on my second...

I use it in the garage when I do machine work during the winter. My garage is about 20'x20'. I typically only use one burner in the garage also...it heats plenty in the proximity where it is placed.

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Big-Buddy-Portable-Propane/dp/B00FPL6CNS/ref=asc_df_B00FPL6CNS/

Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heat...iant-Propane-Big-Buddy-Heater-MH18B/304909148

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I have a portable heater similar to that for a small insulated other shop I have and it works well.
    This space I'm trying to heat is other side of garage from furnace. I have vents on that side but never ran ductwork all the way across, about 60ft.
    Somewhere I've seen ceiling mount heaters with thermostat. I do have a moveable floor heater there. Outside is a 500 gal. tank not far away.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

4. Kevin Buehner

Kevin Buehner

41q7B38C6WL.jpg Amazon and WalMart both have heaters like the above. 25000 btu NG, but you have propane so 22000 btu. You don't really say how big this space is, but the nice thing about these is they don't need electricity so they keep the space warm in a power outage. I think this pic is of the Mr Heater brand, but there are others and larger ones as well. Just search Amazon, Northern Tool and others for Radiant heater.