Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Love this build....What a great score for 4k. Wish I could find something like that here in the Midwest. Around here they want like 8k for what you bought.

2. Turd Herder

Turd Herder

I am interested in see how you like your frame, I want to change the frame on my roadster pickup or sell it and build a new car. The frame from Blackboard looks like a good value, and a quality piece.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I got lucky. Most bodies around here are also going for $8k+. and in really bad shape too.
    I was about to do a $7k body from Brookville when this one came along. I am glad it did.
    The bodyshop was simply looking to recover what they had in labor up to that point, that is my guess.

4. Time came to spray some epoxy primer. Got the body repair as much as I could without having the frame here.
    Didn't want the body to oxidate or start rusting. The rear wells and corners still have to be repair but rather have the frame so I can fir the rear subrail, at the same time.
    I didn't want to over spray the entire garage and paint all the floor, in the process so a quick trip to Home Depot, a few 1x and a roll of plastic did the trick.
    I can easily dissemble and reassemble the box as need it, which will come in handy for the rest of the spraying.

thumbnail_IMG_3605.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3610.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3629.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3630.jpg

5. I used SPI's Epoxy Primer. Mostly, because when I bought the car it came with 2 new gallons of SPI's primer that the previous owner had bought and wasn't used. I want to use the primer, to keep my cost down, so I used the same epoxy primer to keep everything from same brand and avoid paint reactions down the road.
    I read good stuff from Southern Polyurethane and my local rep was very helpful too, so I feel like made a good decision.
    I also bought from Eastwood a DeVilbiss Dessicant Snake, since in the pass I had issues with moisture in the line, despite having filters and all. This Snake made a huge difference.
    The epoxy primer came out so smooth, it even had a sheen to it, almost looked like paint.
    All parts are now coated inside and out and can start doing some bodywork.

thumbnail_IMG_3628.jpg s-l640.jpg

6700-Combo.jpg

6. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Great project! I will be watching closely as I have my own 31 roadster project. Since I'm in Florida I opted for a Brookville body, no roadsters around here. I have been gathering parts for a few years now, I have right at $17,000.00 in it. The body, frame and engine being $12,000 or so of that, stuff sure adds up! Have fun and good luck!

oliver westlund likes this.
  7. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

I’ll be watching as well. You’ve done a great job of sharing how you’ve gotten this far—please keep it up, and thanks for all of the effort.

I look forward in particular to see your plan about mounting the A body to the contours of the ‘32 frame, and whether or not you plan a “mini channel.”

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. I can relate. My wife is the same way. Can’t stay on the driveway unless it is a complete painted car. I built two cars on the driveway rolling them in and out of the garage. My Blazer got so heavy I couldn’t manage it alone with the slope. Moved 2 years ago and now I have a double and I feel like I’m in heaven. My wife doesn’t expect to park in the garage as long as her car continues to seem to repel snow and frost.

Really like your direction and attention to detail.

Tim likes this.
  9. Thank you. It sure adds up.
    I will soon be adding the cost of the frame +$8k, the flathead that was done by H&H and other big ticket items that I am sure will bring the cost up there.

10. Thank you.
    Yes, stay tune, mini channel up front and Steadfast subrail kit are coming up and just waiting for frame to get here to start working on that.

oliver westlund and 1947knuck like this.

11. I am lucky enough, no snow or frost to worry of here in LA,;so for now, no one has access to the garage but me.
    Room will be getting tighter once the frame gets here and I soon will be relocating my other Model A to the garage....I will have to get creative again.

1947knuck likes this.
  12. Time came to start some bodywork. I will soon be adding cost for the materials I am using.
    Since the frame is not here I am only doing some light bodywork and mostly to the panels that I will not be revisiting/cutting/welding later on or removable panels like the fuel tank, doors, decklid.

As I said before, this is the part I dread the most. In my past experience, bodywork and I don't see eye to eye.
    After lots of research, watching videos and asking plenty of questions I decided to use Eastwood's line of body fillers, a set of dura-blocks and 3M as a guide coat.

I opted to do a thin skim coat over the entire panel or area with the contour body filler and block sand, and block sand, and block sand some more...did I said block sand.
    Once I got it to the right point I used the guide coat to show me the way to a straight panel.

I got to say....I am getting a lot better at it. The body filler makes a HUGE difference and it feathers really good. This thing is made for first timers like me :)
    Even though there is a lotto sanding the material cuts quick and easy. Because I am doing a thin skim coat on most of the panels, a big percent of the material ends on the floor but ending on a straight panels and no waves in it.

The Dura-blocks are also great to work with. I bought them from ebay and the seller sent me the wrong blocks (Velcro style) he then sent me a new set (PSA style) and let me keep both sets for the price of one. :)
    These things are awesome!

11157_1_.jpg pcontour_premium_13520.jpg pglazing-13521.jpg durablock-9095-7pc-set.jpg

13. Remember the re-skin doors I did?
    They looked pretty damn straight to me but guide coat said different.
    This is after blocking the guide coat after applying over the epoxy primer.
    thumbnail_IMG_3740.jpg

A quick skim over those areas and some good block sanding and now they are really straight.
    thumbnail_IMG_3742.jpg

Most of the material on the floor and very little material on the door, the way it should be :)
    thumbnail_IMG_3743.jpg

14. I continued with some body work.
    Couple lessons learned,
    1) Use a respirator when sanding the body filler.
    I learned the hard way. All of the sudden I started feeling like crap and though it was a cold. Turns out allergies to the dust. Nothing a Benadryl and a respirator didn't took care of

image_22079.jpg 2) Second lesson learned. Add enough hardener cream. I did a beautiful job on the rear quarter panel with full skim coat, just to comeback 24hrs later and find it still soft. It was not fun take it all out and redoing it again.
    Now I mix smaller amounts of body filler to ensure I have the correct ratio to hardener.
    Only one way to learn, by making mistakes

Car looks like zebra again but coming out very straight. A very thin of body filler is doing wonders. Happy with results!
    thumbnail_IMG_3646.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3779.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3780.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3781.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3782.jpg

15. If you’re not making mistakes, you aren’t learning. Keep on keeping on, it’s looking good!

slv63 likes this.
  16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thing I found out about bodywork is it takes a lot of time and you need to be really patient. I went through this exact same thing on my 31. Looks good!

17. Thank you.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. Agree. I have a lot more respect for the bodywork guys now.
    I am learning to have patience as I do this bodywork thing...something I typically don't have much of :) I like quick and perfect results :) :)

1947knuck, wicarnut and brEad like this.
  19. I took a drive a to Bakersfield yesterday to finally pick up my frame.
    First impression it looks better than I expected it.
    Some of things I wanted were overlooked which force some changes to the final vision...more to come on that later

thumbnail_IMG_4129.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4130.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4138.jpg

20. After some more body work I sprayed another coat of epoxy primer to keep it all covered and away from moisture all the final bodywork will be done once body is mounted and all the rest of the work is done.
    thumbnail_IMG_3796.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3790.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3791.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3792.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3793.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3794.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3795.jpg

21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll see ya a primered roadster and raise you one! :D

IMG_20140601_164750_498.jpg IMG_20140601_164750_498.jpg

Attached Files:

22. That looks great!
    I saw the paint job too and it looks beautiful. Hopefully one day I can get mine to that level.

GordonC likes this.
  23. Curious what respirator system you are using when you are spraying the epoxy......see that you learned the hard way on sanding primer and filler. guess we have all been there once in out car lifetime.

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very Nice ! Following along, Impressed. You, sir are the real deal.

25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll get er there! Slow patient process but just keep working away at it.

26. What I ddi is bought a 3M Respirator, below, which I now use in combination with gloves and good fan.
    When I spray the epoxy I use the above and one of those white painting suits.
    The epoxy didn't give me any allergies but the dust of the body filler did.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 12.28.27 PM.png

1947knuck and dwollam like this.
  27. Giving credit where is credit is due....I like the feeling of getting new shining parts! I ordered my 2" chopped windshield from Speedway and received in a couple of days.
    Unfortunately, below is what I received.
    Besides being damaged ,it is the wrong part....At least I had part of a '32 for a little bit of time :)

Speedway's customer service was awesome. In no time they sent me the right part and picked up the wrong part.

thumbnail_IMG_3670.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3672.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3669.jpg

oliver westlund and 1947knuck like this.
  28. So the new frame required small changes to the original plan. With all the time that elapse between the order and fabrication, somehow the rear end came with newer brake drums and not the Buick drums that it was supposed to.
    The wire wheels will not fit the newer brakes without 1.5" adapters so I decided to go with 1940 Ford 4" wheels in the front and '41 Ford 4.5" on the rear.
    The 4.5" make feel better in the rear since I apply to use 750s and should avoid some of the balloting look on the tire.
    Sold the wire wheels and now waiting on the other wheels to get here.

The c-notch on the front was also forgotten so the frame might not sit as low as planned.

I am still very please with the frame and can't wait to sit the body on it. I love the look of the quick change and I think the the brake and clutch pedal should make for an easy set up.
    I soon will start figuring out mounts for transmission and engine

Next up I will post updated cost for you to see :)

thumbnail_IMG_4137.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4138.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4139.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4140.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4141.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4142.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4143.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4144.jpg

29. Here comes some jewelry....Outkastaluminum, a HAMB member here, built this Halibrand style gas cap.
    This thing is awesome! Outstanding craftsmanship and Robert is a great guy to do business with.
    I will be partially recessing this in the panel above the deck lid. and connecting it to the fuel tank below.
    ...more to come on this later... IMG_20190127_161425665.jpg IMG_20190127_161443101.jpg IMG_20190127_161448920.jpg IMG_20190127_161509327.jpg IMG_20190127_161536685.jpg

30. Looking good! I’m over in Santa Barbara County, Small hop north of you!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.