Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Help Identifying 16" Steel Wheels with 5x5.5" pattern

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scottrod2, Jan 21, 2019.

1. scottrod2

scottrod2
    from Columbus

Like the title says... More curious than anything. Picked up a set of odd wheels, all 4 are the exact same. The 3 hubcap clips are more like "Buttons" on each wheel. Also the center is recessed a little deeper than most wheels. Stamped in lip or recess around outer edge of drop center. No makers mark that I see. They were in a racers collection of parts, but I have never seen anything like them in my years of collecting. If you have any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am not looking to sell them at this time. Thanks! SW
    IMG_8846.JPG IMG_8847.JPG IMG_8848.JPG IMG_8849.JPG IMG_8850.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i'm gonna say jeep

3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Wheel width? Check for markings around the valve stem location on the outside?

Cliff Ramsdell

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

I have seen them on early Ford F1 trucks in the old days.

5. Squablow

Squablow

They do look similar to the Willys/Jeep ones I've had in the past (think 50's Willys pickup/station wagon) but I'm not 100% sure.

6. Not Jeep - they were flat in the center - the clue grasshoppers are those three nipples that would hold a hub cab - International truck - anyone ?

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

i believe ih scouts were 5 on 5 1/2 also, but 16" ? option maybe

stillrunners likes this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Not Jeep , no hub cap bumps on the ones I had . IH yes

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Difficult mystery........aside from early FoMoCo....the only other 5 x 5.5 wheel bolt pattern applications that come to mind are Jeep and Scout. But the shape of the center section just isn't 'right' for either of them and the wheel appears to have deeper back spacing than I remember.

In addition, I also do not recall any American makes that use those external rivet like nubs for hub cap retention. Usually they are common on Import makes, i.e. Nissan and Toyota, but they were typically 6 lug bolt patterns.

The wheel's riveted center section also suggests this wheel is a few decades old as welded centers have been common for a long time.

This wheel really has me puzzled....I'll be watching this thread, anxious to learn the answer.

Scramboleer likes this.
  10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would have said IH too...

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

1962 Scout.jpg

This photo of a 1962 Scout was featured in a Hagerty promo as an example of a nice original unit. I tried to find other examples with OEM wheels, but either the photos were too dark or, more commonly, wheels had been swapped for something else. I am going to see if I can find Jeep Wagon or Pickup 4x4 photos with stock wheels.

Scramboleer likes this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Jeep Wagon II.jpg

Close(r)....but no cigar...........or 'rivet nubs'...

Scramboleer likes this.
  13. I have 4 that look pretty much the same . Bet the racer kept them for his trailer. Much to heavy to race. Mine are from a 1956 Renault Prarie pickup or Colorale van. 3 have the stamped in lip covering the centre section for extra strength. These are the same bolt pattern as early Ford. btw might want to check if they are really 16 inch and not 40cm. Thats 15.75 inch. Meaning a 16 inch tire will allways fit but to loose around the edges.
    REN10.JPG REN11.JPG renault prairie.jpg renault-colorale.jpg

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't early Land Rovers have 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern?

15. ratreo

ratreo

7207782B-8EB4-453F-B2F9-15B35262E0B6.jpeg 9BD075C4-9F96-4189-9079-8DB2D8029F9D.jpeg
    We have a 52 Willy’s Pickup in the shop. No nuns in center ring. 750 - 16” tires mounted

Scramboleer likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

series2a.jpg

Here is one.....5 lug bolt pattern....but to my eyes, appears larger diameter than 5.5" and no hub cap nubs. Other pics of early model Land Rovers I looked at are the same as this one. :confused:

I am inclined to think 34GAZ in post #13 has the best offering so far....probably the correct one.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  17. scottrod2

scottrod2
    from Columbus

Hey guys, just checking back in. Thanks for all the Help!! Hnstray, your quiet the detective. Those jeep wheels are very close, I have some of them as well. Thanks for the pics and effort! I think you are right about 34GAZ being the closest. Wheels being Renault truck...I think mine are 16" but I can check the measurement. When I got them they had dunlop race tyres on all 4 and they where 16" tires. Again thanks to the HAMB for INTERNATIONAL info. I appreciate the knowledge!!

Scramboleer, Hnstray and kadillackid like this.
  18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm going with Jeep of some denomination, Only reason Jeep has a Huge hub opening. Land rover's not the same... I've had a few, Jeep made A lot of different wheels... Scout I'm not as familiar with, But they also used the same Dana axle's hence the larger opening... 34's opening is smaller!
    Also... Sand down around the center about an inch an a half inboard on the center( meaning inch or two away from hoop) Jeep put a pinstripe on there...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Scramboleer likes this.
  19. Looks like 34 GAZ nailed it. I've never seen anything like them in the U.S.