Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What seats for a chopped Buick Sedanet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Jan 16, 2019.

1. BJR

BJR

I thought I would be able to use the stock front seat in my 1949 Buick 2dr Super Sedanet that I chopped 2 1/2". The seat has all new original upholstery that matches the back seat, done by the previous owner. I sit way too high on the stock seat. So I tried cutting down the seat frame, but I could only get 1" without screwing up the adjuster stuff. That helped, but now I am looking through the tinted top part of the windshield, unless I slouch. So now I need to mount the seat with out adjustment or find another seat or some modern bucket seats that will fit. Has anyone done a front seat swap to a 49 or 50 Buick Super or Roadmaster fastback? What seats did you use?
    1949 Buick first ride.jpg

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Have you tried using a different set of seat tracks that sit lower. Or recess them up under your seat. After doing this, tip your seat back a bit. Either your whole seat, or just your seat back portion.

BJR likes this.
  3. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

My opinion, T-Bird seats are the way to go in anything chopped. They create a lot of space and not just headroom and less cluster-phobic.

BJR likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

What years of T-Bird seats are you talking about?

5. BJR

BJR

6. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

oh sorry, 64-66

BJR likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Thanks, I'll look into them.

8. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Sell your car to me I'm 5'-4"! Had to raise my 51 seats and creep things forward so I can work the pedals :). Seriously though I just looked at my seats underneath and seems to me you could remove the feet and fasten a different foot system to the adjusting mechanism portion and gain several inches. You would however need to cut the lower (not sure the correct term)apron thingy that is upholstered that hides the mechanism. Think it would be easier than redoing the entire seat. Not a lot of room before you crash the heater housing. Hope I am explaining myself well enough.

BJR likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

I have already cut down the skirt area you are talking about, and the legs. The under seat heater has already been removed. Now the mechanism that works the seat adjusters is rubbing on the driveshaft tunnel.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So run a cable instead of a rod.

56premiere and BJR like this.
  11. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

How tall are you? Sounds like its time for buckets.

BJR likes this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If Curt McCormick can fit in all of his chopped Barris Customs, you should too. Especially the Rod and Custom Dream Truck.

BJR likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

With good matching upholstery I'd sure try to use the seat. I haven't moved my seats in I don't know how many years, if you can get yours low enough by removing the adjusters I'd do that.

Or stick your head out the side window. ;)

BJR likes this.
  14. BJR

BJR

5' 11"

15. BJR

BJR

That is a good idea!

16. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Are you the only one who drives the car? Unless you share the driving with some one built considerably different than you, consider mounting the seat with out an adjuster, at a height/pitch comfortable for you. Any one else can consider it's comfortable for you. Bill Rinaldi

BJR likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

Thanks for all the suggestions, It may be awhile before I get to this, but will post the solution when I finally do. Brian

18. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

I use a set of buckets from a late 90's jeep grand Cherokee, took the head rests off they sit flat so they are very easy to mount. good luck