Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for the elders, those who were there.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gimpyshotrods, Jan 16, 2019.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

This could go on forever, but for the most part this slang difference depends on where you're
    from, and if you can spell.

Chicago: Not Chi or Chi-town
    San Francisco: Not Frisco
    Soda / Pop
    Sub / Hogie / Hero sandwiches
    Chrome reversed wheels / stock rims
    Hot dog / dog / frank / wiener / red hot

The Shift Wizard mentioned table manners, I guess he feels they've been shot to hell.
    The thing that bugs me is the wearing of hats and baseball caps in restaurants. I was
    brought up to remove my cap indoor as a courtesy. Guys now leave their grimy, frayed
    caps on and use them as a resting place for their sunglasses. What a fashion statement.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Hmm, is there another word for tangent?

2. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Rant!

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm "elder". But I wasn't there.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Obviously this car was there a part of the history of the sport at that time but somehow not correct?

steves29, Squablow and K13 like this.
  5. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Tankers are large trucks, planes or ships, a sub frame is not a front clip, a front clip is not a dog house.
    Dizzy is a blond term, sometimes the term is used by lazy typists.
    This is just my twisted opinion that no one really asked for.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and deucemac like this.
  6. This gave me a bit of a chuckle stating they were called belly tanks and then posting a picture whose file name is Scottys-Muffler-Service-Tanker. Seemed kind of ironic to me.

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

GET OFFA MY LAWN!!!!!!!
    Damn hippies.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think this discussion reflects the general intalerance of others. There has always been different built styles, language and influences.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Straight away" I think that was were we go to "open up" our hot rods. . . . . . . . . .:D

10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Rabbit hole

Outback likes this.
  11. @gimpyshotrods -

I wasn't "there" ... but I have had this very discussion with several that were .... including Bonneville legend, Charlie Markley ... who has always referred to them as "Tanks" vice "Tankers."

In 1958, Charlie set a two-way average record of 207.16 MPH in this P-38 Belly Tank Lakester "borrowed" from Don Colvin:

1958 - Belly Tank borrowed from Don Colvin got  Charlie in the 2-Club (207.16 MPH).jpg

... which garnered him entry into the Bonneville 200 MPH Club!

In 1959, the Markley Bros built there own P-38 Belly Tank Lakester (with a DeSoto HEMI engine borrowed from Dick Flynn's "Thrifty Auto Supply" dragster) ... and ran it at the '59 Bonneville National Speed Trials as entry #128C:

Markley Bros. Belly Tank - 1959 - by William Hewitt (12).jpg

After the '59 Nats, the Markley's painted their #128C Lakester chrome yellow ... and very successfully campaigned it at Bonneville in 1960 thru 1966 as as the #360C (or #360D) P-38 Belly Tank Lakester ... powered by one of their own Dodge/DeSoto/Plymouth HEMI engines:

1963 PostCard Charlie.jpg

In '63, Charlie piloted the #360D P-38 Belly Tank Lakester to a one-way speed of 280.015 MPH ... with a two-way average of 258.439 MPH ... making it the fastest open-wheel car in the world (in 1963).

NOTE:This famous belly tank is chronicled in my The Markley Bros BELLY TANK: A Pictorial History thread.

In 1967, the Markley's sold their #360 P-38 Belly Tank Lakester (less engine, drivetrain, suspension) and built a new #360 Lakester with a "Tip Tank" from a Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star subsonic jet trainer:

Charlie & Bones with #360 T-33 Lakester.JPG

In '68, Charlie piloted the #360C T-33 Tip Tank Lakester to the fast time of the meet at 291.73 MPH.

No one ever referred to that car as a "Tip Tanker" :rolleyes:

I'm quite certain that my conversations with these "elders of the sport" are why calling these Lakesters "Belly Tankers" has long been one of my many pet peeves :D

However, as I stated in @Jalopy Joker's Bonneville - Belly Tanks - Magazine Article thread:

There is quite a lot of historical evidence that they were called "Belly Tankers" ... I'm thinking it was nothing more than the combination of the words "{Belly} Tank" & "Lakesters" (i.e., a portmanteau).

Here's a a late 1951 or early 1952 photo of Earl Evans' Belly Tank Lakester at a car show:

Earl Evans Tank (late '51 or early '52).jpg
    image from the @Jimmy B Collection

... and a circa 1952 magazine article by Tom Beatty:

1952 'Build a Belly Tanker' article by Tom Beatty.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    rod1, oldiron 440, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And it sounded dumb then. And it sounds dumb now.

13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friggin' wannabe Kool dudes. Now, I'll take jaymo neat, with a glass of ice. LOL.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you loud and clear, Shift Wizard. Personally, I can't wait until Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona become the West Coast while those fuckin' Hollyweird elitists scramble for a lifejacket as their polluted state muddies the water when it falls into the ocean. I'm going to miss El Mirage.

czuch likes this.
  15. steves29

steves29

Sure is a good thing we don't all build our ride / daily/ daily driver / hot rod / lakester/tank/ dragster, (whatever the correct term is) to conform to one fellas correct idea. It would be like going to the arm drop drags to watch new Dodge Challengers race each other.

16. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 7th grade English teacher had "belly tankers"...she crossed her arms on top of them.

17. I always thought those were called "floppers"?

jimgoetz likes this.
  18. steves29

steves29

My old school hot rodder father, I think has been calling hot rods, rat rods since they started painting the rat fink on them somewhere.
    I am getting used to it.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Okay, moving on to the next Hot Rod word;
    Pie Crust Slicks.

Were they called that in the early days 50-60 years ago? Seems to me this is a new word that came about in recent years when they started reproducing old style slicks? Probably coined in the era of Ol Skool Rodz magazine, where for some reason they always seem to be whitewall slicks mounted on Rader wheels (which, like any whitewall mounted on a chrome or mag wheel bugs me).

I think that left handed upside down fork and knife thing is to slow down the diner, because those food shows always have a "pro chef" serving a drizzle covered meat entree that's the size of a small brownie. Is that truly the portion size at a fancy, expensive restaurant?

czuch likes this.
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I built my first race car, there wasn't any need to call Slicks any thing.I went across the bay to Bruce's tires and bought some recap slicks, Then when M&H came along things changed. Now in order to sell nostalgia type of slicks, the sellers need to differentiate their tires from current tires, The "Pie Crust" is a good way to do it. But when Pie Crust tires were the only tires, there was no reason to call them anything. Just slicks.

HEMI32 likes this.
  21. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Tanks are tracked vehicles that have a turret, a large cannon, and machine guns that blow enemy tanks and stuff up... Tankers are the guys that operate them!

deucemac likes this.
  22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Well my uncle was a tanker in WW2 and by the time he retired in the seventies he had a belly.

Shutter Speed and deucemac like this.
  23. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I was a tanker in M48's and M60's.

24. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

Lakesters to this senior citizen of 72 years.

jimgoetz likes this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Someday in the future, someone will be calling them "tanksters".

Good grief there is some funny stuff in this thread, it's nice to know I'm not the only one resistant to change. Here is another term I can't stand, "bobber".

czuch likes this.
  26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Sure now we're going fishing....

czuch likes this.
  27. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lakester=one who fishes Lakes

w/o beer?= Dry Lakester

czuch, j-jock, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  28. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Lol!!!

29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I suppose a guy drinking a little booze and ice fishing would be a Lakester neet...or would it be a net lakester...

30. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...only if he drove out on the ice.