Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help, Olds/Cadillac (don't call it Batwing) air cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ Top Chop, Jan 20, 2019.

1. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

oliver westlund likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My mistake. When I looked at "E" it had ton's of re-pop's so I assumed. As for the rib's. Why not leave them be and just place a flat top (home made) over the Wix filter suggested them place Packard body over that and call it done?

3. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

yeah thought about that too, I think that filter number u sent me was for a air compressor? I did see on a Packard site, where a guy used the original OEM base. Bought an aftermarket 10 inch air cleaner, tossed the bottom, used the aftermarket top plate and wingnut, slide the Packard AC over the top with another wingnut. I'd rather not do this. Aircleaner2.jpg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Ya, I didn't confirm the I.D. at the time I posted.

5. showrod

showrod

Here is a complete original removed from a cadillac. It measures 13" across.
    20190120_150239.jpg

6. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thank You! looks like its the same size opening and has the same lip on the edge. Maybe if I put some Lard, butter or some "other" slippery product, I'll make it fit. o_O

7. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

So, I went back and looked up the dimensions on the K&N 3699 (as I recall now, none of the places I went had it in stock).This is the only filter I could find that will work. I order it but did that hurt ($75.00). Who am I, a Rockefeller? The Monopoly guy?I'm going to add some Dynamat type material to the base plate, just to make sure it seals. The air cleaner is a little deeper than 4 inches. Would it be safe to say, if u find one of these air cleaners and can drop in a 4x14 air filter, it's probably not an original?? I'll post some pictures once completed. Thanks for the help

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This is why I sold the 2 originals (each for more than the cost of 1 good repop)I had and bought a repop! All the hard work was done, and all I had to do was scuff it and paint it to match my car. I know my response doesn't help the OP's situation, but some times it just doesn't pay NOT to just use repop parts.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

No - look closely at base of my painted one side pic and you can see that the base sits right into a chrome aftermarket 14" flat air cleaner base - search for K&N universal round air filter measurements to see several that might do the trick - click on pic of filter to see info on ordering - you might come across one at a swap meet, etc ( http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ2.aspx?id=s0001 )

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watching a Speedway video I saw that their "fake" has what amounts to an air cleaner top as the inner top layer of the housing.
    Both of the Cad/Buick/Olds air cleaners I have look like the one Jalopy Joker showed in post 20. The one you have looks aftermarket to me as it looks like it is designed to use what ordinarily would be the top of a chrome air cleaner inside the top meaning you set the complete chrome (could be painted) air cleaner on the carb and set that piece on top of it and fasten it down. We probably should do that with our original ones to get them to seal right and many probably do.
    At any rate don't stress yourself out trying to over think it. As long as it seals the dirt out, looks right and fits on the carb life is good.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  11. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Oh, I love stressing myself over this stuff! I had the same thoughts about the inside of my air cleaner, as to why would it have that ribbed pattern?.. but after looking at Packard OEM cleaners I've found two ads (posted pic) that have the same structure inside. Both included the large bottom oil bath base, I'm assuming they are the real thing. Mine looks really good in the photos but in person, it's got some pitting, dings and has the lip that curves into the hole and not straight down like a repo does, which leads me to believe it's OEM. Also universal 14 inch filter does not fit. Does it bother anybody else they use a chrome base instead of black? Thank you posting this, much appreciated.

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

itd be easier for the sake of your build to buy a repop but the awesome thing about hamb is alllllll the weird little facts documented. where else could you go to find a breakdown on the differences between the different aircleaners that all look the same? it would only really matter to a guy doing a bonestock factory resto but to that guy whos putting assembly line chalk marks in the right spots its invaluable

jimgoetz likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heh heh...batwing

Hnstray and egads like this.
  14. upspirate

upspirate

If the chrome base bothers you either paint it black, or get a different air cleaner!!! o_O:rolleyes:

15. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I'm using the one I already have, if ur gonna sell something as one unit, seems reasonable that the two pieces match. I want my carpet to match the drapes;)

upspirate likes this.
  16. Joe H

Joe H

17. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

No doubt, once I get everything I'll post all the parts used with numbers, make it easier for the next guy.

18. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thanks Joe, I tried this, but it is usefully for others to know if needed. Appreciate it

19. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

image.jpg Ok, so I got the K&N filter today, the diameter is perfect, the height needs addressed. I need advice on what to seal the gap with? I was thinking of some kind of rubberized weatherstripping with an adhesive backing, but it needs to be able to handle heat well. Maybe Peel and Seal, Dynamat, gasket maker, etc. The material will more than likely go on the base of the air cleaner.

20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

run a bead of rubber gasket silicon around it and let it dry like that, itll dry into a rubbery raised lip then it should work

21. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Like Permatex RTV? I could probably apply this to the filter

22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i would also flip it after its dry so the silicone is up. if the filters the right size for the base itll fit better that way

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A large diameter cut-to-size piece of o-ring might do the trick to seal it.

25. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, I would use 3M black or yellow weatherstrip adhesive.

27. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I had a Buick one for awhile and maybe the top is different, but I just put in a smaller diameter filter I got off the rack.
    And my chrome base was a flat one, maybe that is your problem?? I might have missed something.

28. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I'm guessing there's a couple things going on, I think some of these air cleaners are slightly different in size from make to make. From what I can tell this one is a Packard. And some may have got one used that were told it was real when it was a repop. I couldn't use a smaller size filter as the inside top was not flat like most of these are. I'm leaning towards the RVT route just to make sure it seals properly.

29. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Ok, finally got everything I needed to move forward. Here's what I did. Your air cleaner maybe different so measure yours before getting started. I used the K&N E-3699 air filter. Edelbrock 8092 Spacer if needed (this is important because it has a lip on the top, flat spacer will not be stable). 14 inch Speedway FLAT air cleaner base, 5/8 cap (for AC base) and a longer carb stud. My air cleaner was too tall and the filter was not tall enough to compress. After trying other options like RVT, it came clear to me the only permanent option was to cut the lip off the Packard cleaner. I used fine line tape and cut just above the tape line with my Dremel using a thin cut off wheel. Take ur time and go slow. After making two passes I spent a good time filing my cut.

Attached Files: