Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 27 Tall T Chop or not to chop That is the question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Huelke, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

OK I just picked up a 27 tall T which is in rough shape. It has good sub rails but need to get a donor set of doors which I found and a deck lid. Someone filled in the roof with a ribbed panel but it can come out easily.
    Here is where i'm at this one has to be a 60's build I am looking at a 283 with dual quads, slush box T350 auto, headers over the rails and straight down and back with extensions. Steelies with pie crusts. Don't know if I will make the steering column or what to use. I have a cowl steering utilizing a corvair box setup that I might use. Custome dash. I plan on making a Zed tube frame to get as low as possible but able to be driven on our $hitty roads.

Now for the real question to chop or not to chop. options are
    Chopped
    None chopped clam shell (tilted roof forward)
    Non chopped straight and tall.

Your vote counts. Please make one

Stock Racer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1391.JPG Mine a zed frame but no chop. I like tall T's....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Garpo

Garpo

It's time to collect all those pictures of tall T's and put together a gallery on the bedroom wall. Once you get a dozen or so up, you will start to work out which style you like best.
    Garpo

F&J and Kan Kustom like this.
  4. 66gmc

66gmc

I think they look pretty cool unchopped. Leave the body uncut for now, build the rest of the car first, then roll it outside and stare at it for a while and decide if you want to chop it. It will be way easier to build the floors/steering column/pedals ect with the roof uncut, instead of trying to do it all in a cramped space. Plus this way if you decide to chop it you can actually sit in the car first and determine how much you can chop the car and still be able to drive it comfortably.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. desotot

desotot

If it is a coupe , chop it.

bowlingball likes this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

MMM1693 and Stock Racer like this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some folks say I don't get the chopped thing.
    I do and love looking at other peoples (mistakes), I mean chopped T's, but know full well that I will not be the one struggling to see the road especially at traffic lights and hilly roads.
    Just don't be egged on by the chop fans without seriously considering your comforts and personal situation...
    Let them chop their cars and you make the final decision about yours...
    The only thing I don't get is a sore neck...

MMM1693, jaw22w and Stock Racer like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Listen to 66gmc. Easier to build and drive it unchopped for awhile. You got time to see if it works for you or not. My 27 T Tudor is unchopped and I like the room. Play with different seat heights.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  9. AndersF

AndersF

I like the chopped look if it is a coupe.
    If you plan a chop put in a temporary roof and plan your seat, steering and pedals before chopping.
    If its to cramped you could do less chop or change your mind to unchopped.
    That is how i did when start to plan mine.
    My inner roof are at 7 inch from the top.
    If you chop take the header above the windshield down to around 1 inch.
    Looks better and gain some extra visibility.
    [​IMG]

harpo1313, jimgoetz, MMM1693 and 3 others like this.
  10. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

No chop for me... But Anders idea of chopping it a couple inches to narrow down that big ugly header is growing on me.
    IMG_0403.JPG
    And here's my frame...
    IMG_0596.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    kidcampbell71, AndersF and fiftyv8 like this.
  11. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_0022.JPG
    Hell, just about every T left in the world is chopped now. I wanted to be different, so I left it unchopped. Even with it unchopped, I struggle if I am first at a stop light. I think if it was chopped I would have to stick my head out the window to see the light. I love the look of the visor, but it is not the handiest at a light.
    Besides that, the reason I was able to build my T ( the second hot rod in the stable), I told her it was for her. When I first brought it home, she said, "That's cuter than Dammit." and refuses to listen to "Chop it". She's lucky I agree. HAHA.

13. For me I would keep it Tall

14. flat 39

flat 39

No chop. Tall T coupes are timeless for a reason.

15. I'd like to see someone put the top of a Model A roof onto a T. Maybe chopped moderately. Sort of a 27 and a half T.

harpo1313 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you really want a 60's look, don't chop it and keep the fenders. As I recall, chopped and fenderless T coupes were not really in vogue at the time. That being said, my coupe is chopped 7" which is not too much on a T. The window opening in the door measures about 10 1/2" tall which is still more glass area than on a 4" chopped A or deuce. The difference there is that on a T, the roof comes in abruptly just above the door so headroom really isn't as great. If you do decide to cut it, there are other things to consider. Do you want to take all of the cut through the rear window or leave it bigger? At first, I plotted cuts for a larger window but changed my mind and went with the smaller window - still adequate and I prefer the look. I cut down the header above the windshield to give better visibility and it is easier if you bend a new bottom lip with a sheet metal brake rather than doing a long cut and weld. The glass opening on the sides taper outwards toward the top. On Aaron Kahan's "Bad News" coupe video, they correct this by cutting the top of the door frame with a bandsaw and widen it across the top. Way too much work for me so I corrected this with vertical cuts instead. Keep the upper door hinge or leave it off? I kept mine but it is more work to do. There really isn't a right or wrong as to whether you chop the top or not, just give it some thought before rushing in.

Stock Racer, bowlingball and fiftyv8 like this.
  17. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

OK guys thanks for all of your comments. Here is the plan.
    UN CHOPPED
    Have no fenders so...
    May have a hood no sides
    2X4 custom Zed frame 4" drop in front 8" in the rear
    Hate front disk brakes but that is what I have now. Will change latter
    I have a 289 Hi PO and a C4 for now. May change it to a more exotic at a latter date.
    If it is to be un-chopped I want it slammed on the ground.

Anyone have any of the following parts that I need to find? (I know post it to the parts for sale.)
    Door hinges
    Trunk Hinges
    Windshield

a better door or two would be great along with a new trunk lid. I got the skin and a banged up inner but like to have options.

Anyone want to see the build? It may be a little time before I post as I have to put together a 1957 (some want of a barn find bought in a basket) for my summer driver and have a 31 Henry chopped coupe with a 331 Caddy in line. Not to mention a steel drop tank lakester built after Bill Burks.

If anyone want to see the build (s) which one first? UGH

18. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

19. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

LOL guess I will not show any of the builds

20. A Boner

A Boner

No chop - no channel. Stretch out and enjoy the ride!

21. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Yes on the build. I probably should have read the whole thread.

22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Yes to a build thread

23. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

24. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

25. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

alwaystiredlong

That is the look but I want 60 style headers that come out straight then straight down and run back like running boards.

Found my interior garnish and have decided that I am going to skin the doors and replace the inner bottoms. Thinking that a bead roller (electric) would be a great investment alone with an English wheel.

Stock Racer and AndersF like this.
  26. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

That sounds like a great plan. Can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app