Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Re-silver reflectors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Jan 18, 2019.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Has anyone come up with a billfold friendly way to re-silver head light reflectors. The ones on my 34 Chevy have patchy brown stains I can't polish out. I know Steve's in Washington and one in the UK does them but too many $$$ for one on a budget. Will chrome get one by inspection? Ride is for nice day cruising with little to no night use. Thanks

2. My first suggestion would be to talk to a shop that chromes bumpers and ask if they do silver or can recommend someone. Don't chrome plate the reflectors. A second suggestion would be to ask the question at a shop that restores antique furniture, the antique furniture people need to have mirrors resilvered.

The best and most expensive solution is to contact UVIRA,
    (541) 474-5050, and have them aluminum plated.

Charlie Stephens

Dino 64 and loudbang like this.
  3. Just have them chromed. Had my '28 Ford reflectors chromed and they are brighter than silvering. Why wouldn't you chrome them?

4. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

chrome does not reflect like silver does ,thats why mirrors are slvd . make sure tou get them rhoderised or clear lacquer coated to prevent tarnish .plater 36 yrs .

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

How much they quoting to silver plate your reflectors? Chrome is a very poor choice.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Paint them white. Seriously.

Beanscoot and jimgoetz like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DIY: https://www.caswellplating.com/plug-n-plater-silver-plating-kit.html

loudbang likes this.
  8. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Quoted price is about $200 per reflector.

9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

That’s a lot more than down here, I think it’s A$60-80 ish each , depending on size.

10. flathead4d

flathead4d

Here is a guy that did my day night mirror for my 50 Ford. Frank Wright Glass 14808 Gratiot Ave. Detroit, Mich. 48205. 313-521-1888 Fax 313-521-3889. Don't know if he is still in business as I had this done about 25 years ago.

11. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I had the ones in my 37 caddy chromed,work OK,but not really bright,if i did it again i would spend the time to find a place to resilver them.I dont drive much at night so it isnt a big deal for me.Would love to be able to see better when i do,my car is still 6 volt pos ground,lights propably werent real good even when they were new. Harvey

12. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I like the painting idea. Cheap and if it doesn't work, you can easily strip them back down.

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Steves Auto Restoration basically charges by the inch. A 2" reflector is $80 each and goes up to a 12" for $260 each. Not cheap but the reflecting quality of silver is much better than chrome and paint.

egads likes this.
  15. Mirror re-silvering is stupid expensive. HRP

16. Keither

Keither

Years ago I took mine to a jewelry shop and they either did it or had it done. I was fairly inexpensive as I recall.

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Chrome has a different look . My Buds 34 chromed reflectors , my 32 silvered reflectors . Cars sitting side by side 34s look Cajun Coon Azz compared to 32s

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

A bright gloss white will reflect as good or better than silvering.....what do have to lose for the price of some high quality appliance paint?

And if you are real cheap line it with this stuff.....lol.
    [​IMG]