Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 60's survivor kustom 53 chev

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by myk roc, Nov 5, 2018.

1. myk roc

myk roc
    from langley

well i'll be darn, wow finally some light on the history i found the name joe inside the interior panel when looking at the 1/4 window mod from the inside with a victoria phone number did he move from saskatoon ?
    . thank you for digging !!

2. myk roc, I didn't know the fellow at all, but I will ask around. Haven't heard of him for a very long time so it's very possible that he wound up in Victoria. Not sure of the spelling of his last name, but the pronunciation should be close and there is no such name in our current directory.. If I dredge up more you'll be the first to know!

Dave

3. myk roc

myk roc
    from langley

I did some digging and his last name is Savenkoff he lives in Saskatoon i found a number for him !

4. Awesome!!

Dave

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  5. Now, it would be neat to know which of our local upholsterers did that incredible interior!! My money is on a fellow named Opheim..?

Dave

Surfcityrocker and stanlow69 like this.
  6. Personally, I like it! Hopefully the original owner has some better pictures of the front end and paint.

Makes me wonder what my car would look like with the quarter windows filled...

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  7. I've asked a friend who grew up in Victoria and has been deeply involved in the hot rod and custom scene in Victoria since the 60's. I'll let you know what he passes along.

Peanut 1959 and brad2v like this.
  8. that thing is badass

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  9. myk roc

myk roc
    from langley

i just spoke with Joe and he is 81 years young and cant remember a few things but he did tell me his neighbour irvin costenchuck? helped him after work as a cabinet maker customize cars they did the body mods and paint themselves . i asked joe what the front end was like and he told me hold on for a sec i have to look at the photo on my wall
    he then said it had 55 headlights and about 200 cabinet door knobs for a grill inside a custom grill cavity . the upholstery was done by a guy named Ralph Weflen who had a sectioned 56 ford 2 door post he at the time was living in edmonton I was told .

10. Ralph Weflen's '56 (in progress) from Saskatoon:
    DragginsCarCheck_Grosv62.jpg

Dave

brad2v, mr57, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  11. Kewl65

Kewl65

What a cool story.....did you get a photo of the photo on the wall?

Be great to restore it to how Joe originally built it.

Long live Kustoms!!

12. myk roc

myk roc
    from langley

no he is a few days of driving away. here is Ralph Weflan's car and you can see his upholstery pretty good here.

Kewl65 likes this.
  13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I bought this 50 probley 25 years ago . It was also built in the early 60's. What I think is cool is that it had the same shifter in it and I had never seen one like it before. The knob and shifter are one piece and the plastic sides are removable. Sadly at the time I thought it was just to ugly and built a more Larry Ernst style traditional custom out of it and sold it. Don't let opinions sway you. Restore it to your vision of what it was that you find most appealing. Larry

14. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I'm more of a stock/mild custom guy, but the history of this car coming to light is great. I think that if you make changes or bring it back to what it once was, its awsome when your car fits into a bigger picture.

That's been the motivation with the decisions we're making with my dad's 53' F-100, some stuff is restored EXACTLY how it left the factory, and other stuff is changed to match the memories or future plans, but the end result is about more than just how the truck looks.

rodncustomdreams and stanlow69 like this.
  15. Torchie

Torchie

I dig it!
    Always great when an older custom comes back to life.
    Even cooler when the original builder is still around.
    Torchie

16. bct

bct

Imagine being in your twilight years and getting a call from a young enthusiast saying he has your 50+ year old creation and wants to preserve its history. I can't think of a better scenario.

17. A friend sent me this reminder of 3 other customs Mr. Savenkoff produced.
    A page from the 1997 Draggins 40th Anniversary book:
    Draggins40thAnniv.jpeg

Dave

Sancho, brad2v, Austinrod and 4 others like this.
  18. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

my knee jerk reaction was like most...where are the quarter windows!? BUT that pic of it in the driveway especially and the old 2x2 pic too...
    im gonna be honest i think the lines are sweet and what looked like a lazy shortcut on the quarter windows at first seriously flows with the rear fenders and tail light treatment. shes a slick lookin lady

williebill likes this.
  19. 'Mo

'Mo

Ralph Welflen's sectioned Ford was home-built (and upholstered), and well-deserving of more recognition.
    It is exciting that you have uncovered a car showcasing more of his handiwork. :cool:

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/featured-cars/ralph-weflen-sectioned-55-ford/#.XEMVS_x7ljd

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  20. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad

21. brad2v

brad2v

Now this is really getting cool. Subscribed

22. Can't wait to see more of this story come to light....So cool that the original builder is still kicking. That phone call had to make his day...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Front end pic`s please. Everybody is patiently waiting. 200 cabinet knobs---My avatar has 100.

24. C'mon Jim, I think everyone would like to see your grille. It looks great! This is a close up I took at the Spectacular last year (2018). I hope I don't get into trouble posting it (lol)! E

IMG_6339.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  25. 'Mo

'Mo

That looks great! And I'd have lost money betting it was '58 Buick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Is there any way I could post some pictures of my car , It is a kustomized car, I have been kustomizing cars since the 60s, just wanted to show what a modern car looks like with parts on it from the sixties is all . It is very tastefull looking and I think the older guys might appriciate looking at it

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

How much do you wanna bet.

OG lil E likes this.
  28. The amount of negativity one the thread is crazy did some of you guys forget what the customs of the old day were built like it was about being different pushing the envelope! This car is awesome and it’s a piece of car customizing history! Bet some of you would rather it be a rat rod. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. He got back to me and said he didn't recognise it, but that it could have been from up-island.