Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 mercury disk brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38coupeute, May 23, 2014.

1. 38coupeute

38coupeute
    from Australia

Hi Guys im after some advise on a disk brake conversion for my 1950 Mercury its running a small block Chev with power steering & stock front end. I'm thinking of purchasing a Jamco A-arm deluxe ball joint kit complete with drop spindles rotors & calipers also using a under the floor power brake booster with a remote filler cap kit. Has anyone here used the jamco kit? I know its pricey but if it is a true bolt in kit with no headaches it may be the way to go. Mercury stuff is hard to come by Downunder

Thanks in advance

2. 5window

5window

PLEASE. Do a very thorough search here before you choose a company to order from. There are a legion of posts from folks having problems with JAMCO-sending in their order and money and receiving nothing but excuses in return. Just do your homework. HAMBers overseas from the USA seem to lead the pack. People who have actually received their orders seem to be pleased with the product, but you really ought to read all the threads you can about any company you plan to order from.

3. 1gearhead

1gearhead

About a year and a half ago i purchased a disc brake kit for a Mercury from CPP. It was not priced too far out of line and the parts fit reasonably well. Would not call it a premium kit and at value price, but it worked and maybe better than Jamco.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

5. 38coupeute

38coupeute
    from Australia

Thanks guys I have dealt with Extreme Kustoms I purchased my power steering box and adapter plate from Rick after receiving it I had a few questions about fitment. I tried contacting Rick through Facebook a couple of times & had no response. So I figured they didn't want my business. I am happy to spend the money but just don't want to get mucked around. I have read that Jamco have good products but their customer service isn't great. This is my 4th rod/custom I've had all the ups & downs been ripped off promised the world & received a marble lol now I try and do as much as I can myself with the help of good friends at home. so I just thought I would put it out there & see what other people had experienced.

6. anyone out there making disc conversion for a 1950 mercury using a 5 on 4.5" bolt circle? i do realize they have one for stock 5 on 5.5" pattern. thanks.

7. Anyone have any information?

8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I got a couple kits years back from Fatman Fabrication. I had to send in the spindels for them to machine for bearings. It used dodge aspen rotors and gm calipers. The dodge has the 4.5 x 5 bolt pattern. think they still handel them. Larry