Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone know of any DC car clubs The speed shifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pokey, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ^That added to the atmosphere. Beer Sliding
    Copied from a 1997 Washington Post article:
    "The drunken athleticism of beer sliding was one of the house specials at the Rendezvous Inn, the storied University of Maryland bar commonly known as the Vous.

Think "Animal House," but worse. Or better, depending on your point of view. College students drinking inordinate amounts of beer, groping each other and barfing -- not necessarily in that order.

When owner Mark Srour reluctantly shuttered the Vous in December, he closed a dingy beer joint and a 37-year-old College Park institution that was both celebrated and condemned for

its bacchanalian excesses. Later this month, Srour, 36, will replace the Vous, where business had been falling off, with the Cornerstone Grill, another in the glut of fast-food joints and eateries that are clumped along Route 1. The grill is notable only because it represents the end of an era."

2. .................Those were the days.:)

3. The rest of the article:):
    "The Vous was besotted with beer. Srour, who with his brother bought the club from their father in 1986, estimates that the place went through 200 kegs and 2,000 cases a week. The bar held around 600 people and the line to get in could stretch around the block.

There were drinking competitions and drinking games -- Quarters, Thumper, Chugging. One mating ritual common at the Vous involved drinking beer out of someone else's shoes. Another required a more serious commitment: A member of the opposite sex would drop trou and bend over, then a pitcher of beer would be poured along his or her rear end. Someone would hold an empty cup below, and the contents would be cheerfully -- and drunkenly -- consumed."

4. Cool photos, Sorry I don't mean to change the subject from butt drinking, or anything.:rolleyes: lol I was just wandering if any of you guys from Md. May have some pictures from the Rod runs back then. I enjoyed going to, La plata, Fredrick, and Timonium Md. etc. I attended many of those, and had lots of great times. If I can find any old photos, I'd be glad to share them too. My old A coupe would have been, Rusty, flat black or maybe Yeller. My 38 Chevy coupe, was black or maybe red. Also my 34 Dodge delivery was Kandy apple red back then. I had some real fun times in Md. Thanks Ron....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Ron, you should think about signing on to the Maryland HAMBers Social Forum on here. There are quite a few other Virginia guys who post regularly there. There's an entire thread with tons of pictures about the rod runs at Timonium in the early 70's.

6. .....Please do, Ron. No need to apologize at all.

7. Well......I'm out.:)

8. Clik

Clik

I used to cruise Route 1 regularly and you could smell the puke from road. I never understood why people would stand in a line around the block for a chance to wade in barf. Amateurs! I wasn't allowed in most of the area clubs. Most had dress codes to keep guys like me out. No Jeans, No Chain Wallets, No Chain Belts, No Colors, No Bikers. Guys with bikes and hot rods avoided places where you couldn't keep an eye on your ride. We especially avoided places where drunken college kids thought they could sit on your bike or on the fender of your hot rod.

9. As I stated before....cheap beer and not being carded. That was all a 16 or 17 year old needed to hear. Oh yeah, and drunk college girls.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. Clik

Clik

Carded? I was bouncing at Fred's Inn at 17. Ha! Ha!

11. On 12th St NE? That was a college bar too. Just a different college. I think the only difference in the two was the number of people inside at any given time. The Vue was nasty but it was the only place that served us at the time.

12. .........Catholic University.

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  13. Clik

Clik

Fred's was far less crowded and there was no beer or barf on the floor. If someone got sloppy they'd get tossed out. Plus I could park my ride out front and keep an eye through the window.

14. Of course there wasn't, it was "Catholic University," not exactly known for bad behavior. I was trying to save you the embarrassment by not mentioning that......... I'm just F-ing with you. I went to both and had some good times. UM was crazy though, I ended up going there (for a year anyway:()
    I'd better stop before I'm banned.

15. catdad49

catdad49

The Vous, sounds like a Fun place (at least after a few beers)!

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Clik

Clik

I don't know what it was known for before the Chillum Boys got there but you know what was going on afterward. Ha! Ha!