Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead cams, carbs, and brackets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frizby, May 29, 2006.

1. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Just a few questions for all you guys running nailheads. I'm to the point I'm needing to decide on a few things. What is a good cam for a 401 with a sp 400, and where do you get them?

I'd like to run six carbs, and by run I mean run. Has anybody had any trouble with this setup, and advice would be helpful.

Has anyone fabricated a alternator bracket for a custom mount( lower mount)? Again any help would be greatly apreciated.

2. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

3. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I dont know how you could run 6 carbs on a 401 Cu. engine without over carbing it unless the were around 125CFM a piece. Even with that the linkage would be a pain, but nothing you couldnt figure out. Unless you already have this intake, you may consider running a tri power if your really into muti-carb setups. I know pierce makes a weber tri-power.

Camshaft wise, I quickly came up with this place, never dealt with them. http://www.taperformance.com/camshaft.htm

This place also seems to have a lot of knowldege on Nailheads
    http://www.v8buick.com/archive/index.php/f-9.html

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

i believe it's physically impossible to overcarb a nailhead. really, these motors LOVE lots of carb.

5. Splinter

Splinter

I'm gonna be watchin' this thread....
    Me too, Frizby....

6. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

BTT Anyone?

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best place for Nailhead cams is Poston, IMHO. They offer 4-5 different grinds. I've had mine in my '62 401 now for 3 or 4 years and have been well pleased with it. I went with their middle cam - their number "NH400" (duration: 272° intake, 282° exhaust; lift: .486" intake, .495" exhaust; power range 2000-6000 rpm). It gives me a nice power range and a great lopey sound. Idles around 950rpm. Check 'em out at (334)368-8577. I haven't had a new catalog in a few years, so they might have a website by now - try 'em on Google.

I'm running 2x 500cfm Carter AFB's and it isn't over-carbed.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have to go with...

Carmen Faso
    716.693.4090 -
    J&C's Parts
    7127 Ward Road
    North Tonawanda, NY 14120

He is IMHO one of the true Nailhead Gurus out there. His prices are good, his service great. No web prescence and no plastic, but he has the goods....

And I don't believe it's possible to over carb a Nailhead, the more the merrier... The best single carb on them is the 850cfm quadrajet, and you can run dual 600cfm carters/edelbrocks with no problem....

9. Big Dan

Big Dan

Hey guys I,m going to be running 2 edelbrock 500s on my 322 ,, is that OK,,, I,m hoping not to overfuel.........

10. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Thank you Tag man, that's the kind of info I'm after. I will check it out. I'd love to run the dual carb setup, but cannot find a good dual carb intake. I'd like a offy dual hi-rise. I've figured out the volumetric effeciency of the motor and I think it could handle 6 carbs, being that strombergs and holleys flow something like 155 cfm or something. Still a big headache for sure, but the look!

I also know the aluminum alt mount off the passenger side head studs is about as good as it gets, but thought maybe someone may have made a custom mount for mounting a alt lower like a sbc. Any way thinks for the info.Friz

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Frizby:

I had my Camshaft made by John Partridge who owns Bullet Cams. Here is a link to the website http://www.bulletcams.com/ but just call him, he has been in the camshaft business for 30+ years and knows what the Nailhead needs.

As to lower alternator bracket, I made my own which mounts between the motor mount and block, I've attached a couple of pictures.

I found a Offy dual quad aluminum intake at a swap meet, ported the runners to get rid of the restrictions and used 2 1" adapter plates and installed 2 Barry Grant 625cfm carbs.

Attached Files:

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

13. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Amazing work on that mount, I'm going to the garage right now to do some measuring. I've loved your carb setup since seeing it on the v8 buick site. What are your cam specs and how does it run? Thanks for the pics, I'm having some clearance issues with my headlights, plus the high mount really hangs it out there. Friz