Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banger water pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WTF really, Jan 16, 2019.

1. WTF really

WTF really

I'm curious what is the most cost efficient way to deal with a water pump repair? Should I rebuild it myself or just buy a new one? I'm pretty sure a person wouldn't want to buy a used one rite? Any advice or help in where to find the best deal would really be appreciated. I have more time than money lol.

2. Really thought myself - the purchase of the leakless one - I think it was from MAC's.....it is styled like a B motor water pump - was better than the early style and worth the little extra money. Here's my motor.... IMG_20180613_203915_201.jpg

WTF really likes this.
  3. You should have mentioned that the pump you have only fits Model B heads. It has 3 bolts/studs while the Model A has 4.

Charlie Stephens

stillrunners likes this.
  4. How long are you going to keep the car? You should post this over on the fordbarn site where the experts on Model A water pumps reside. Since your profile says you own a small auto repair shop you should have no trouble rebuilding the pump.

Charlie Stephens

5. WTF really

WTF really

I'm gathering parts for an A V8 chassis built so I'll be driving it stock till that chassis is finished so at least a year.

6. Since you have more time than money I wouldn't worry about it being leak-less. You might even find a useable one at a swap meet. What is wrong with the one you have now? If you were keeping it for the long term, leak-less is the way to go.

If it has an original 2 blade fan check it carefully for cracks, they have a bad reputation for throwing blades through the hood. If you buy a replacement 2 blade aluminum fan buy a new one from a reputable supplier, earlier ones had problems with quality.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    WTF really likes this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

A couple years ago I bought a new leakless B water pump from Macs. What a horrible piece of crap! Never had any water pump leak that bad! I finally pulled it apart and put a stock packing nut in it and fixed the problem. BTW, I called them and they no longer carry that pump and was told they don't even have a working phone number for the China manufacturer so forget about warranty. If you continue using the B engine and plan to install a high compression head, get a Snyder head (Model A) and one of Snyder's leakless Model A pumps. You will be glad you did!

Dave

8. WTF really

WTF really

My engine is original a engine the pump gas play back and forth I'm only planning on using it a couple years until my A V8 chassis is complete. A friend invited me to a swap meet in Nashville the first weekend in February so going to check that out. I would be ok with a cheap used one just so I can keep enjoy driving it until the new chassis is ready for my body.

9. If it moves back and forth it usually means that the stop in the head is worn. You can buy a collar from the suppliers to attach to the water pump shaft to keep it from moving back and forth. You might find a collar that would work in a local hardware store.

Charlie Stephens

10. WTF really

WTF really

So I pull the pump off the engine and find a collar to fit inside there? Or? I've never taken one apart but I do have a big hammer. Lol

11. Here is a picture of the two collars on my pump. You might check to see if you can find a split collar that you could install without taking anything apart.

Charlie Stephens IMG_0524.jpeg

WTF really likes this.
  12. WTF really

WTF really

Awesome ok thank you

13. Thanks CS - I kinda forgot that. My pump's been on for about 5 years -maybe I don't drive it as much but hasn't leaked yet....it was the other way around with the packed one's I bought. Tried my hand at fixing them but I have enough fenders to bend over.